Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #1

SUN #6218
Buffalo Man is an unknown quantity at this point
State Safety Inspection

HI Folks,
I'm in Virginia and have just done a lot of work on an old '92 Saturn T-1700. I've done the brakes, wheel bearings, and all new propane stuff on the A-Frame. I'm also getting ready to replace all the clearance lights as most of the old one's cannot be repaired.

I cannot seem to find any information regarding state safety inspections. I have found a place to do the inspection but I'm not sure exactly what they will be looking for. Can anyone help me out here?

I talked to the guy at the inspection station (inspector wasn't there) and he sort of gave me a rundown on items to check but he wasn't sure. So far I've got brakes, lights, breakaway switch, tires and suspension. Can anyone add to this list, seems like there should be more. I don't want to drag it down and have it fail and then have to drag it home, fix stuff, then drag it back there again. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks Howard.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

SUN #246
Janalee
In Pa.it is exactly as you have mentioned (never heard them check suspension though?) I have mine done by my regular inspection guy..rv place charges 2X the rate! Anyway,can't think of anything else that would even be considered necessary. Do make sure those lights are in working order first.

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

SUN #6218
Janalee, Was wondering if they checked any of the propane stuff, hitch stuff and maybe the brake controller? This is my first RV so there's a lot I don't know. Oh, the lights will all be new Bargman's with the 194 bulbs.
Thanks much for your nice input, Howard
Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

SUN #4162
hburkholder is an unknown quantity at this point
Howard..............In PA it's more of safety inspection. My guess is you would need to tell them if you wanted anything else checked.
'14 Evergreen Ascend
'04 T-1950
hburkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Some items. This varies by state and in some cases, the inspector them selves.

Some states require they pull a wheel off and inspect the brake on the one wheel.

Odds are high they will check your brake controller and use the manual button to lock the brakes.

For sure have the saftey chains on, both of them and cross the chains.

They will inspect to see you have the emergency break away switch and may pull the pin out. Make sure your pin is not froze in solid as some get.

They may look at the trailer coupler to make sure the latch is in what looks like working order.

The camper battery needs to be on and working. They may challenge the break away switch with the 7 wire cord unplugged from the truck.

I do not know about VA. In Ohio we do not have annual inspections, even on autos. They do on the road spot checks and you can get a fine for defective equipment. Coming from NYS where every thing is inspected to death, Sell the same auto 3 times in 1 year and every time it is registered in that year is another inspection. To out here we have nothing...is somewhat amazing. I do agree annual helps keep some of the stuff that should not be on the road off.

Good luck

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #6

SUN #6218
Thank you hburkholder. I hope that's all it is. I don't need anymore things to fix. I want to go camping at the end of the month!

JohnB, I will check all these things. Most of them are new and ready to go. I agree with you, that the inspection every time it is sold, is a little much. Here in VA the sticker is good until expired, even for the next buyer. "It's all about the money!" I've been reading about all your fine work, very impressive. Thanks JohnB for the detailed post.
Howard
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
In New York State they check lights and brakes only. If the camper is fairly new they don't pull a wheel. The inspection takes two minutes and then they connect to the DMV on their computer and that takes 20 minutes. (typical state business).

The first weekend I go camping, I take the afternoon off and make an appointment for 1:00 to get it inspected. That way I hook up, get it inspected, and head for the campsite.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

SUN #6218
pwb01, Thanks for the info and thank everyone who posted. All great info as I've come to expect, Howard
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #9

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
In PA as a inspection tech we have to pull a front on one side and rear the other side drum for brake insp. Check all lights and breakaway switch operation. Also we have to check the suspension for worn parts. All is done without tv.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #10

SUN #6218
krazydave, I hope that's all there is to it in VA as well. I'm still waiting for my clearance lights from California. Been 6 days since I ordered and they finally shipped them Monday. I've got everything ready except that.

Thanks for the info!
Howard
Old 07-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #11

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I just purchased a 1996 T-2053 from MA.

I live in CT. Just finished getting it registered today. The only requirement was vin verification and that is now done at any emission inspection station.

About a year ago I purchased a 1983 T-1550 here in CT from people in CT. It had been purchased by them from people from MA or NY....can't remember just which.

The seller (to me) had not registered the T-1550 in CT, thus when I bought it DMV had no record of the vin number. The original owners out of state had somehow registered and sold giving the wrong vin number. The seller (to me) had given me the right vin number. Long story short. I had to go to the the main DMV office for vin verification. No inspection.

CT has gotten very lacks on inspections.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #12

SUN #6218
bunjin, Not much of an inspection in CT I guess. I'm taking mine in soon. Still waiting for clearance lights. I've been in a couple of those title rundown deals myself back in my body shop days. They can get complicated. Thanks for the advice, Howard.