Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #1

SUN #646
clarkldc
Spring Trip to the Florida Keys - Scuba Diving

Hello Fellow Sunliners,

Wendy and I are planning a multi-week trip to the Florida Keys. We have reservations for John Pennekamp SP for 5 nights; Curry Hammock SP for 2 nights; Bahia Honda SP for 5 nights; Long Key SP for 5 nights; and Johnathan Dickinson SP for 3 nights. We will be taking our canoe, fishing rods, and scuba diving gear. We would like to know if anyone else in the Sunline Owner community shares our passions and could recommend/not recommend any scuba dive operators/shops or headboat fishing operators in the areas we will be visiting. We are going to sample several of Florida's State Parks just to get a flavor of what is available and which ones we like best.

This will be the shake-down trip for our repaired T-2499 frame and are very much looking forward to this trip.

Thank you in advance for any comments/guidance you might offer.

2007 Sunline Solaris T-2499
Tropical magic / cherry cabinetry
2006 Ford F250 Lariat FX4 4x4 6.0L PSD CC LB
clarkldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

SUN #763
MOKID
Florida Keys

Hi Wendy and Larry

My wife and I have gone to the Keys for Jan and Feb for the last 7 years. We always rented condo's but have now switched to a Sunline T-1950. We by no means are experts on the Keys but here are a few places that we liked. When you go through Islamorada around mile marker 79-80 on the Atlantic side the Lazy Day's Restaurant is a great place to eat. When you leave Islamorada and head south around mile marker 77-78 on the Gulf Side you can stop at Robbies Marina and check out the largest Tarpon I have ever seen. You can feed them and they will take it right out of your hand. When you go through Marathon around Mile Marker 35-36 on the Gulf side, take 35th street 2 or 3 blocks to the end and you will see Keys Fisheries and they have the best Lobster Reuben. Get one and split it as it is a great sandwhich. While in the Keys you will also have to have a piece of Key Lime Pie. We have been to most of the State Parks that you have mentioned and Bahia Honda was our favorite because we like laying on the beach and relaxing. We never did much fishing but we sure enjoyed the Sun for Jan and Feb. There are a lot of paved bike paths along the Overseas Hwy and we road our bikes 10-15 miles a day because it was so flat. The Keys are a special place and we just loved going there and the water is a beautiful blue. Enjoy your trip as I bet you have a blast.

2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Wendy and Larry,

Be sure to bring atomic strength bug repellent, especially after dark. If you have cats or small dogs, stake them down or the skeeters will haul them off.
I used a dive shop on Marathon Key (don't remember the name), and the Reef Raiders dive shop on Key West. Of course, this was many years ago, so things may have changed. There were State parks and/or cmmercial RV parks on nearly all the bigger Keys when I was there.
I had only pleasant experiences, except for the monster mosquitoes.
I didn't dive the underwater state park at Key Largo, but friends tell me it is really nice.
Enjoy.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:28 AM   #4

SUN #287
nickster60
You wouldnt happen to have kayak? Canoe wont work at Bahia Honda to much current. Stay out of the pass there also tons of current. They have a nice launch on the other side but there is surf. Also look out for racoons they will get into anything you leave out. We bring a supersoaker and give them a spray. They are crafty little buggers.

Long key is ok for a canoe if the wind is calm. Long key is nice park but is right next to the road and can get very noisy. We run a fan or one of those radios with the earth sounds.

In Key West they have a sunset celabration everyday I think it is in Mallory Square. Duval street in Key West is a must for one evening. Go with an open mind there are some interesting charactures.
nickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote