Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #1

SUN #168
wobbly
Spare Tire Cover

While our rig was in storage, I stored the spare tire on top of the spare tire cover. The cover is now imprinted with the tire lettering and tread pattern. I tried a few cleaners, but nothing touched the markings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wobbly

Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you try Awesome? It works very well. I just scrubbed mine with Awesome and a Brillo pad this morning and it looks a lot better.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #3

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Did you try Awesome? It works very well. I just scrubbed mine with Awesome and a Brillo pad this morning and it looks a lot better.

Jon
Hi,

Yes, I tried Awesome and Awesome Orange, but didn't use an abrasive pad. I'll try it again.

Thanks,

Wobbly
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #4

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Hi Wobbly - Sure hope you can get the printing off your spare tire cover. Unfortunately, we learn the hard way and replacing that SUNLINE logo cover will probably be next to impossible now(?). We, unfortunately, have to store our SUNLINE outside during the winter so I cover the spare tire and SUNLINE tire cover with a large trash bag for protection. It is now about three years old and still looks in good shape. Just a suggestion that some folks may want to give a try.
Reese Dual Cam HP Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Control
Indy-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #5

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Jim
Hi Wobbly - Sure hope you can get the printing off your spare tire cover. Unfortunately, we learn the hard way and replacing that SUNLINE logo cover will probably be next to impossible now(?). We, unfortunately, have to store our SUNLINE outside during the winter so I cover the spare tire and SUNLINE tire cover with a large trash bag for protection. It is now about three years old and still looks in good shape. Just a suggestion that some folks may want to give a try.
Hi Indy-Jim,

Now I feel slighted. Our 2007 T-1950 came with a plain white cover.

Wobbly
Old 08-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #6

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Wobbly - In that case, I would say that you are most fortunate since plain tire covers are readily available at CampingWorld as well as other sources. The plain ones come in handy for other uses also. Our outside home air conditioner unit is round so I purchased a tire cover of the right diameter to cover the unit during winter month. It is not recommended to cover the units, however, this provides enough cover to keep out leaves, seeds, etc. during the winter. I'm sure we can come up for other uses for them also. Guess this does not have much to do with your situation.
Good luck on cleaning your cover.
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #7

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Wobbly - In that case, I would say that you are most fortunate since plain tire covers are readily available at CampingWorld as well as other sources. The plain ones come in handy for other uses also. Our outside home air conditioner unit is round so I purchased a tire cover of the right diameter to cover the unit during winter month. It is not recommended to cover the units, however, this provides enough cover to keep out leaves, seeds, etc. during the winter. I'm sure we can come up for other uses for them also. Guess this does not have much to do with your situation.
Good luck on cleaning your cover.
My navigator's birthday is approaching. You've given me a great idea for a present. All I need to do, is to cut a hole in the middle of the cover and voila: a waterproof rain poncho. I'm afraid that she might reciprocate with a hubcap hat (applied forcefully) for me, though.

Wobbly
Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #8

SUN #154
Indy-Jim
Uhhhh - I think I would pass on that idea (and save your head). I;m sure that I could hear that hubcap hit your head clear here in Indiana.

Jim
Prodigy Brake Control
Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #9

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
We, unfortunately, have to store our SUNLINE outside during the winter so I cover the spare tire and SUNLINE tire cover with a large trash bag for protection.
Indy-Jim,

We also have to store our Sunline outside all winter. I remove the spare tire, spare tire carrier, and cover and store them in the garage.

Just another option
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:05 AM   #10

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Wobbly, unfortunately, vinyl absorbs certain substances (can be seen even more on light colors) when left in contact for a period of time. Once that happens, there is nothing that will remove it. You can try alcohol, but I suspect it has had enough time to become a permanent part of the vinyl. Try shopping around for a new cover, (I think Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown PA may still have some). If you can't find one, then buy a can of vinyl paint which you can find in automotive supply stores and spray the affeced area.
Hope this helps,
Rich
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #11

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Spare Tire Cover

For anyone that is interested, I recently purchased a Sunline spare tire cover from Butler RV. They are located in Butler, PA. They had four spare tire covers on hand two months ago. You can find them on the "Dealer Locator" menu on the Sunline RV website. They are white with a beautiful "Sunline" logo on it. I dealt with them by phone order.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #12

SUN #168
wobbly
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrt
Wobbly, unfortunately, vinyl absorbs certain substances (can be seen even more on light colors) when left in contact for a period of time. Once that happens, there is nothing that will remove it. You can try alcohol, but I suspect it has had enough time to become a permanent part of the vinyl. Try shopping around for a new cover, (I think Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown PA may still have some). If you can't find one, then buy a can of vinyl paint which you can find in automotive supply stores and spray the affeced area.
Hope this helps,
Rich
Thanks for the info. A new plain cover is only about $10. One with a Sunline logo would be nicer, though.

Wobbly