Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #1

SUN #230
sewfancy
Slide vs. No Slide

If you don't have a slide-out in your camper, do you wish you did? My dh and I went from a Jayco fifth wheel triple slide (kitchen, bedroom and sleeper sofa/dinette slides) to our new-to-us T-2499 with no slides. At the time we made this decision, our thinking was that we wanted a smaller, less expensive camper. We're still trying to sell our fifth wheel and are beginning to wonder if we made a mistake by going to the smaller camper. Yesterday we sat in the Sunline for a while and then made the trip to where we have our fifth wheel on consignment and sat in that one for a few minutes to try to determine which one we really like the best. I have a definite soft spot for Sunlines as this is our third Sunline travel trailer and the very first travel trailer we bought was a Sunline. Also, I'm convinced that the quality of Sunline products is second to none. However, Jayco also makes a good product. I'm so confused.

Patricia with one camper too many

Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Patricia,

I understand your position. I know three people who have Jayco Designer Legacy FW's and they all swear by them. The quality in Jayco is very similar to Sunline. I personally don't have an opinion on slides, whether I like them or not, but it depends on the manufacturer. I've never owned a Sunline with a slide, but both of my parents' Fleetwood MH's have had slides and I hate them in there. Fleetwood likes to build their coaches on rubber mounts to the frame, so even if the frame is on jacks (solid to the ground), the coach still rocks. Our first Fleetwood really rocked a lot, but now I'm blaming it on the stupid 3-point jacking system. Since I sleep on the couch in the living room slide, I feel every movement in the coach, even when it's windy.

You should really compare apples to apples on each of the coaches. Even though the Sunline has better quality than the Jayco, consider the age and wear and tear on it. If the Sunline has the soft spot in the floor, you may want to keep the Jayco so you don't have to pull the floor up. Of course, there's always the option of selling both and looking for another Sunline .

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #3

SUN #
that is the big question these days. slide vs. no slide. i personal prefer it to slide but some other people don't. but it is very important that the rubber seal does not fall off.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #4

SUN #230
sewfancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
You should really compare apples to apples on each of the coaches. Even though the Sunline has better quality than the Jayco, consider the age and wear and tear on it. If the Sunline has the soft spot in the floor, you may want to keep the Jayco so you don't have to pull the floor up. Of course, there's always the option of selling both and looking for another Sunline .

Jon
Hi Jon,

We bought the Sunline from a dealer on eBay. They were a Sunline dealer and had taken it in on trade. The couple who traded it in told them that they had only camped in it a few times. The stickers were still on the mirrors and the toilet seat. Since we brought it home and cleaned it up, it looks like a new one. We bought the Jayco brand new, so they are very similar as far as wear and tear.

What soft spot are you talking about in the Sunline floor?

Believe me, I've considered the option of selling both and finding a 286SR or 289SR while they're still available. The problem is that I'd have to travel miles and miles to find one since there are no dealers closeby. The main reason we chose the 2499 was because of the back living area with the chair and entertainment center placement. My dh is 6'2" and was never comfortable sitting on the couch in either of our other two Sunlines and much prefers the chair. The 289SR has a similar arrangement to our fifth wheel and I've wondered if you could add a chair to the 286SR by the outside wall of the bathroom.

Anyway, I've got to make a decision soon. It's keeping me awake at night.

Patricia
Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slide vs. No Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewfancy
I have a definite soft spot for Sunlines as this is our third Sunline travel trailer and the very first travel trailer we bought was a Sunline.
Hi Patricia,

I'm sorry, I was skimming fast and didn't read entirely. I saw soft spot and thought it was in the floor.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #6

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Patricia,

I can relate to your dilemma. We recently sold our Sunline T-2670 (non-slide bunk house) and purchase a Sunline T-280SR (with slide). We wanted to get a slide for more room. In 2006 Sunline changed the floor plan of the T-280SR and came out with the T-286SR. We ended up traveling to find a 2005 T-280SR because we liked the floor plan and layout much better than the T-286SR, even though many people may say the changes were minor. We probably spent 2-3 hours comparing a T-280SR to a T-286SR side by side. But it was a personal decision, just like you are going through now.

You have to use some forethought and take into consideration how you will be using the trailer in the future. Which one best fits how you’ll be traveling, where you’ll be going, who will be going with you, economics with regard to gas costs, handling, your tow vehicle, maintenance, etc., which will you feel more comfortable towing in 5 years from now.

When we had our T-2670, we would have liked a trailer with a slide for more room, but our tow vehicle at the time wouldn’t handle the weight of a slide and the current setup, TV & TT, was best for us at the time, which was a family of 5. Now that the kids are older and not going camping with us, we moved on to a different type of TV & TT that better fits the 2 of us.

Our T-280SR came with a chair, but I’m not sure if the T-286SR included the chair. We love the T-280SR, which like I said is very similar to the T-286SR. And you have the tow vehicle that can handle it with no problem. It’s a tough decision. Good luck.

Hope this helps some.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #7

SUN #149
nasa42a
It might be helpful for you to think through what type of camping and travel you really prefer. We found that the larger and more complex the TT, the less frequently we went on the road. Slides add complexity and tend to limit access to many campsites (especially among the trees). We've decided we prefer frequent travel - and fewer extended stays at a single location.. As a retired couple, we don't need space for the kids....and we're still comfortable with one another in snug quarters. Although we've fully enjoyed all our TTs (the last was a Sunline 2363), we've happily downsized.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #8

SUN #230
sewfancy
Hi Hutch,

Let me ask you a question about the 280SR. I've seen the floorplan and am wondering if it is akward to sit in the chair to watch TV. Isn't the chair right to the side of the entertainment center? The 286SR doesn't have a chair. It looks like they enlarged the entertainment center and put it on the side wall instead of in the corner. I've been wondering if you could buy a chair and place it by the outside wall of the bathroom. But, I guess it would be right in front of the sofa.

Patricia
Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #9

SUN #98
Hi Patricia,

When we use the chair to watch TV, we move it so it has a better viewing angle.
Typically we move it over by the dinette. The chair’s not the heavy and easy to move.

You're right, they changed the entertainment center in the 286. That was one of the things we liked better in the 280.

Check with Kitty, she bought a nice chair for her Sunline. I can’t remember where she bought it though.

Hutch
Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #10

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa42a
It might be helpful for you to think through what type of camping and travel you really prefer. We found that the larger and more complex the TT, the less frequently we went on the road. Slides add complexity and tend to limit access to many campsites (especially among the trees). We've decided we prefer frequent travel - and fewer extended stays at a single location.. As a retired couple, we don't need space for the kids....and we're still comfortable with one another in snug quarters. Although we've fully enjoyed all our TTs (the last was a Sunline 2363), we've happily downsized.

Frank
This is so true! My hubby and I just went through this delima. SR vs. non, bigger vs smaller. We took a good long look at our camping style. We bought a Que. With the small size, we can fit into any campsite. We do not have to make reservations months in advance, and can just 'go'. We spend very little time inside the TT anyhow. It all depends on your camping style.

If you spend alot of time inside eating, watching TV, playing games, etc... then the slide might be worthwhile. Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #11

SUN #230
sewfancy
Thanks so much to everyone who replied and offered their suggestions on helping me make this decision. All of you really helped and gave me a lot to think about. Now the answer seems very simple. I want to keep the Sunline and sell the Jayco. I've never felt any connection to the Jayco. Maybe it's a "woman" thing, but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I look at my Sunline. I don't feel anything for the Jayco and I never really enjoyed camping in it. It is just too big. My 2499 may be a bit small and would actually be perfect if it had a slide. But, for right now it's a keeper and eventually will be impossible to replace.

Patricia
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #12

SUN #98
Patricia,

Good choice, but I’m a little bias.

On a different subject, what type of mpg have you been getting on your tow vehicle, both solo and towing?

I have a similar tow vehicle, but a 2006. Still trying to get a feel for what type of gas mileage I should expect to get. I’ve been getting 16-18 solo; 10 – 12 towing. I’ve been thinking about putting in a K&N air filter thinking that might help the gas mileage. Think that might help?

Hutch
Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #13

SUN #230
sewfancy
Hutch,

I'm the camper person and my husband is the truck/boat person. So, I asked him about the mileage. He says we got around 12-13 mpg pulling the Sunline on our trip last week and about 19-20 when we're not towing. He also said he had considered buying that same air filter.

Patricia
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #14

SUN #98
Hi Patricia,

Tell your DH thanks for the info.

I have a friend that has the exact same tow vehicle as me and he just put a K&N filter in his truck. I'll let you know if he see's any difference in mpg. He tows a big 5ver - 35' ~12,000 lbs loaded.

Are you thinking about joining us at the Sunline M&G this year?

Hutch
Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #15

SUN #230
sewfancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Hi Patricia,

Are you thinking about joining us at the Sunline M&G this year?

Hutch
Now that would be a road trip! I looked on Mapquest and it's about 1000 miles one way. I'd love to visit your part of the country one of these days. I've never been north of the Mason-Dixon Line or any further west than New Mexico.

Patricia
Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Patricia,

Like you, I went thru the slide/no-slide decision. I chose the 2499 because of the rear LR, and wonderful window. Since I am the sole caretaker of the truck and trailer, that played a huge factor in my decision. Slides make such a huge difference inside, but also meant a tad bit more upkeep/maintenance for me. Towing would not have been an issue, as I have plenty of truck and can haul & park things quite well. I just didn't want a lot to take care of, seldom stay put in one place for more than a couple days. so a slide or two meant a bit more work for me.

The glider/rocker with matching ottoman I purchased came from "Big Lots" It is available in a light cream, a mocha and now a dark sage color. It was 129.95.

I just hosted an Open Roads Singles GTG in TN and one of our members was talking about his nice glider/rocker that replaced his uncomfortable swivel rocker, he had purchased the same chair as me, and he is from florida.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #17

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Patricia

We too have the T2499. When we got it we did not have a big enough truck to haul much more and barely it after I found out the real tongue weight. Now we have the right truck and but now with Sunline out of business the urge to upgrade is fading. I’m not interest in other brands right now.

The T2499 for 2 people works well. And the inside layout is great. When we have the grand kids come, well their parents sleep in the tent and the youngings inside. We just did this past weekend. A 3 year old and a 3 month old.

The only dislike we have is the lack of having the table up all the time and dealing with the infamous swivel rocker. Eating at the table is an ordeal with it getting in and out. If the exact layout was like 2 feet longer it would almost be totally perfect. To us it is 99% right now….

This past weekend I took the rocker out so the bassinet for the 3 month old grandson could go in. And I brought a cushioned folding chair to sit on. WOW what a room difference with the rocker out of there. Almost like a dance hall.

I’m now convinced I have to find some other chair deal 1 step up from a folding chair. Without the rocker in there, the table goes up and down in a flash with no moving the rocker. Getting to the rear window is a snap. And sitting at the table to eat is a whole lot better. About the only real thing nice about the swivel rocker is watching TV in it. All the other times I’m just dealing with it.

The 26 foot length fits in campsites easy, is just enough room inside for the 2 of us and my 2004, T2499 is just under 10 foot tall over the AC unit. It allows me to back it in my outbuilding for storage at the house. The 2005’s and newer are like 2 inches taller and will not go in a 10 foot opening.

We have customized almost every area of the camper to be perfect and starting all over again on a different one, well I’m not there yet. If you want to see all the upgrades let me know. I’m almost up to posting them in the mod's section but have not made it yet.

We really do get attached to these things. I know parting with ours right now would be real hard and will not happen any time soon. Like you said, if you are attached to it, then the decision is easy. You’re the one living with it. Through the folks here on the Sunline Club we all have enough special personal tweaks that can help most any model make that perfect camper, special.

Good luck.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #18

SUN #196
tinybluetj
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewfancy
My 2499 may be a bit small and would actually be perfect if it had a slide. But, for right now it's a keeper and eventually will be impossible to replace.

Patricia
My hubby and I sort of like the coziness the smaller trailers provide! It's actuatly one of my favorite things about camping!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #19

SUN #230
sewfancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybluetj

My hubby and I sort of like the coziness the smaller trailers provide! It's actuatly one of my favorite things about camping!
Ummm, yeah I like that aspect of camping too. Our Jayco fifth wheel has two swivel chairs with the large back window and the sofa on one side. I always watch TV laying on the couch and my husband would always sit in the chair closest to the couch. So, we might as well have been in a smaller camper anyway. That big fifth wheel made me feel like I was trying to camp in a mobile home.

Patricia
Old 04-26-2007, 07:23 AM   #20

SUN #230
sewfancy
John,

I'd love to learn more about the modifications you made to your 2499. I agree with you that it is almost the "perfect" floorplan for two people. My family situation is similar to yours. We have three grown children and two grandchildren with another one due in May. My husband and I had already decided that the "grown-up" kids would have to sleep elsewhere if they camped with us. If we take the grandkids by themselves, I think we're going to only take one at a time and let them alternate trips.

I had brought up the question on another thread about buying a screenroom or canopy so that we would be more comfortable eating outside when it's more than just the two of us. I just can't imagine all of us trying to eat inside.

My husband likes the swivel chair but wanted an ottoman. We found a small round one at K-Mart that has worked out perfectly.

Patricia