Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #1

SUN #1632
WandaLust is an unknown quantity at this point
Single Axle and blowouts

What on earth happens if you're towing a TT like our little 16' single axle and get a blowout? Somehow this is a frightening thought.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Blowouts

We have never had a blowout on our trailer, definitely a blowout is different from a flat. We do the best thing we can to prevent this kind of failure. First we buy the best tires we can fine and select a load rating that provides signofocant margin. We do not ever exceed their speed rating and usually are well below it. Every time we stop I touch each tire for temperature. As well I regularly check and adjust tire pressure.
Lastly I notice one member on this site has purchased an electronic gizmo that monitors tire pressure. I am considering purchasing this system.

Blow outs should be rare in a properly configured and maintained system.

Norm and Ginny Milliard

Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Norm is right. Well maintained tire should be OK. The two "blowouts" I've had on my double axle trailers have been a tire that has lost pressure, or gone flat in transit without my knowledge. Then running said tire low, or flat, causes failure. In my cases the feeling of the trailer behind the truck hasn't changed much with a tire that has failed. I noticed rubber chunks flying and smoke with the failure on the T-295SR, while on I-95 near Boston. I was alerted by another motorist at a stoplight that a tire on my F-304SR was flat. It was still intact but very hot and very flat. I have no idea how far I towed on it, the rig never felt any change. With a single axle trailer it will be very noticeable when you have a bad tire.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

SUN #1632
So the safest move is to buy tires rated for more weight than they will carry (the TT) and the best that can be found. Watch the pressure. That all makes sense.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

SUN #382
Mooney
Best case scenario- it lets go when travelling slowly or stopped, you should see the coach tip.

Worst case- highway speeds, it blows, it'll tear up some of your coach, maybe, but the momentum should keep the carcass (what's left of it) onto the rim enough to pull over... The rim should hopefully have enough clearance that the coach won't drag onto the ground. It may be worth your while though to deflate a tire just to see what it would look like, so you know how little ground clearance you have available to pull over and off the road.

eta: this is only for a single axle coach though, the tandem axle ones you won't notice much difference (as said before)
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #6

SUN #292
Tires

Your Sunline is very light and with good tires you should never be overloading your tires. This significantly reduces the chances of a blowout.

With Goodyear Marathons I am running at 75% of their capacity, a fairly significant safety margin in an RV tire.

I've seen dual axles have their problems. In Alaska I followed a 5th wheel that had shreeded one tire. One tire is now flat and the other is now well overloaded, yet there is no warning to the driver. After about 10 miles of flashing lights, I got the driver to pull over. He had no idea he was courting disaster.

My tow vehicle has a heated rear window with fine lines that I can see against the front window of the trailer. I occasionally look to see that they are both parallel, hoping this will tell me when one tire is going flat.

Safe travels,

Norm Milliard
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

SUN #78
tedontario
Oh the joy of a tire blowout!!! We had that happen with our old sleep 6 popup. We were on I75 near Perrysburg OH heading N to Ontario and I had just taken over driving from our young daughter. I heard and felt it right away and we went to the shoulder changed the tire and then to Kmart to buy a new spare. I have also had wheels come off twice. Once right off near our home on the way to Disney World and once four of five bolts came out near Atlanta MI. Both times the good part was I was near home the first time and with friends the second who knew where to get new bolts. After that I always carried extra bolts and checked them every time I stop for gas.
I agree that we need to buy GOOD tires and check lugs.
Ted
tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #8

SUN #292
Checking lug nuts is important, particularly after changing your tires. I found a loose lug nut on the trailer on our trip to Labrador. As a result I checked the Honda and found I had lost a lug nut off the Honda.

I check the tires at every stop, touching them for temperature, and regularly adjust air pressure, now I'll also glance at the Honda's lug nuts.

If you don't have hub caps it also makes sense to check you hubs for heating, maybe catching a failing bearing. Though I'm not sure about this, a failing bearing may cause a tire to run hotter than the rest.

Now knowing that trailer tires are only rated for 65 MPH; I'm amazed by the trailers that blast by me doing well over 65 MPH.

Safe travels,

Norm Milliard
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Norm,
Thanks for the information on the speed rating of trailer tires.....I had no idea. It now makes very good sense that both times my trailers had a tire failure I was traveling at speeds over 70 mph, probably closer to 75 mph, for long periods of time. I'm not to proud to admit that I do have a lead foot.....even when towing the trailer. Now that I know, I'll definately back her down a few pegs. I did feel the tire let loose on the T-295SR, but I had no idea when I lost the tire on the fiver.
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #10

SUN #292
Happy Campers,

Based upon the trailers that pass us I believe many trailer owners do not realize the speed limit on trailer tires. My trailer tires always feel warmer than my car tires, indicating there is some side stress on trailer tires.

There are side motions on trailers that do not exist on the tow vehicle, particularly out west. In Washington state the use of studded tires have cut groves in the road, particularly the right lane. Since the car and the trailer have different wheel bases, this causes more side motion than one would see on a flat road.

Of course I am now the ultimate slow poke, it's come with retirement (and I suppose age).

Safe Travels,

Norm Milliard
Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

SUN #1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
Happy Campers,

I of course I am now the ultimate slow poke, it's come with retirement (and I suppose age).

Safe Travels,

Norm Milliard
========================

How much pressure should be in the tires Norm? I don't see it written or stamped on the outer part.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #12

SUN #292
Tire Pressure

Maximum tire pressure for a specific brand is printed on the side of the tires.

For my Goodyear Marathons the maximum tire pressure is 50 pounds. We typically run 45 pounds, though if I were heavily loaded I would run up to 50.

With our little Sunlines the Marathons have plenty of load carrying margin.

Tire pressure is always measured cold.

Safe and Interesting Travels,

Norm Milliard
Old 11-25-2008, 04:59 AM   #13

SUN #1632
Re: Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
Maximum tire pressure for a specific brand is printed on the side of the tires.

For my Goodyear Marathons the maximum tire pressure is 50 pounds. We typically run 45 pounds, though if I were heavily loaded I would run up to 50.

With our little Sunlines the Marathons have plenty of load carrying margin.

Tire pressure is always measured cold.

Safe and Interesting Travels,

Norm Milliard
=================================

Thank you for that information. We hope to meet you (and others) at Buttonwood in June. We got space 79.