Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #1

SUN #78
tedontario
Roof work

Hello everyone;
It has been a while since I have been on here but I am at a point where we are finally going to put some effort into working on the roof of our 2004 2499. It is not leaking, that I know of but we have the maintenance products and want to clean it and make it new again, as much as possible at least.
The question I have is, I know it is not a solid roof and was wondering how people move around on their soft roof. I had planed to use a piece of plywood to spread the weight and some padding top protect the roof from the edges of the wood. Any ideas would be a help and appreciated.
Thanks and safe travels everyone.
Ted

tedontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

SUN #6969
Bubbabc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedontario View Post
Hello everyone;
It has been a while since I have been on here but I am at a point where we are finally going to put some effort into working on the roof of our 2004 2499. It is not leaking, that I know of but we have the maintenance products and want to clean it and make it new again, as much as possible at least.
The question I have is, I know it is not a solid roof and was wondering how people move around on their soft roof. I had planed to use a piece of plywood to spread the weight and some padding top protect the roof from the edges of the wood. Any ideas would be a help and appreciated.
Thanks and safe travels everyone.
Ted
Your plan is the way to go! It's not a hard job once you get started. Inspect the corners very close especially the rear ones. That seems to be the problem area for leaks. When doing the roof maint. it would also be a good idea to spray the working parts of your antenna with silicone. It keeps it working smoothly. Be careful up there!!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a scaffold $150. and roll it around the TT. It's high enough that I can reach half way across roof.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #4

SUN #78
tedontario
I would love to be able to roll a scaffold around our trailer but one side is lawn and part of that is sloped. I have fallen off ladders and there is a scratch down the side of our trailer where the ladder slipped while preping for our trip in 2010. I am not allowed on a ladder without help holding it so I do not repeat that event. So we get it down but takes time and effort. There was a time when I was driving truck that they would have let me bring it in the shop to work on it but I retired in 2011 and those days are gone.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Ted,

Your idea is exactly right. Use plywood or similar material to distribute your weight while you're on the roof, and use soft material--carpet (with the backing side up), blankets, padding, what have you--underneath the plywood so as to prevent damage to the EPDM membrane as you move about. We used particle board and an old blanket while working on the roof of our 2363, and had no issues whatsoever.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

SUN #78
tedontario
Thank you for the helpful tips and confirmations. I have some plywood I will cut down to manageable size and attach some carpet. Just wanted to make sure I had as good a plan as others.
Safe travels all.