Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

SUN #1054
amann10602
Roof Coating

Hi, We are new here. We've bought a 1995 Solaris T2363. You all have been very helpful in answering our questions about a towing vehicle. Now we have a question about the roof. We need to coat the roof with the rubber stuff. We bought some of Lowe's when we had our previous trailer and paid about $15 a gallon. It was kind of a thick milk-shake consistency...it's rubberized roof coating. Now here's our question: Is it ok to use that or should we go to the rv place and buy the stuff specifically for rv's? It sells for about $45 a gallon. We weren't sure if there is a difference other than the price. Of course, we want to put the best stuff on our new travel trailer. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #2

SUN #10
wagonman76
I asked about this recently and it sounds like you have the same thing I used. They told me it would work just fine, and so far so good. I saw the mobile home roof paint at the farm store the other day for about $15.

Typically stuff from RV places costs more than if you were to get the same thing elsewhere. Sometimes you have no choice, but in this case there is a much cheaper alternative.

Edit: I'd follow John's advice. I wasn't aware of rubber roofs and how much different they were.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Audrey

Your 95 camper, is it a rubber roof? I’m going out on a limb here but I think that year would be in the EPDM rubber era. Someone may pop in here quick and confirm.

Assuming it is rubber,

A few things, first the caulk around the edges, and any other roof penetration. That needs to be very close inspected and repaired if any hint of cracks are visible. You use Dicro self leveling lap sealant on those. If the old caulk is real broke up, then you can peel some of it away back to good and then apply new. If you have a hair line crack, then you can apply new Dicro over that.

Now to the roof coating. If it is a rubber roof this the what Dicor the folks who made the roof recommend. Yours is most likely Brite ply. Sunline Fan may be able to confirm. They recommend there roof coatings.

See this web site http://www.dicor.com/Roofing.aspx

You can then search on line or in stores for there products.

Koolseal is another reported good rubber roof product however I myself have not used them. http://www.koolseal.com/product_list.asp

For a rubber roof, I would caution the Lowes/Home Depot route unless they sell the brand name you have researched. The store folks I have found do not know RV’s and some not all the products they sell.

On line stores sell the brand products and often times cheaper then the RV stores. It may take a little searching but most can be found. Since the roof is so important, on a rubber roof I would research the right product for it and then buy that even if it costs.

Now if you have a metal roof, that is a little different. I myself have not done a RV metal roof but have mobile home metal roof and then the fiber roof coatings out the lumber yard work well there.

OH and if you have a rubber roof, odds are it is most likely not a walk on roof. In that case a tarp, carpet or other protector needs to be put down against the rubber and then pieces of at least 1/2" thick plywood put down across the 16” center rafters to hold your weight.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Your 95 camper, is it a rubber roof? I’m going out on a limb here but I think that year would be in the EPDM rubber era. Someone may pop in here quick and confirm.
John, you are correct, a '95 2363 would have EPDM.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote