Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-26-2009, 04:43 AM   #1

SUN #863
judyh
Question - Internet Service?

Hi Everyone,

Happy Holidays and best wishes for the New Year!

We are planning a trip in January/February for a month or so to the southwest (Arizona etc). We will need internet services for our laptop for our travels but are not sure what we should purchase for our trip.

Could someone please share information on broadband/air card etc and
what we possibly may need/use for the trip?

As always ...

Thanks so much

Judy Hauck

Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
Hey Judy, I think there are a few threads that are already quite lengthy about this topic that you might be able to pick up info from.

Another option if you only need the service for a few months is air cards that have minutes on them. I think a few different companies provide these so you wont need to buy into lengthy plans that last for years on end.

Another thing you'll need to look into is where you're going to be staying. If you'll be in a remote location out in the desert, where its usually the most beautiful, then you might need something like a Wilson Amplifier to boost your signal - Again, there are some lengthy posts on this forum about these too that you'll be able to find links and info from

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
I would also urge you to do some internet searches on the area you're going to be in and see if there is any free wi-fi nearby.

Our favorite SP campground in the Adirondacks doesn't have it, but the little trading post right outside the gate does. The signal is boosted courtesy of one of the regular campers so you can easily sit in your car in the parking lot on a rainy day and access the internet. If the weather is nice, there's always a spot at one of the picnic tables.

Also, many public libraries offer free wi-fi. Just ask at the desk if there is a password or registration needed.

Between the trading post and the Tupper Lake public library, we have enough internet service available at no cost to get us through a two or three week stay in the Adirondacks.

Obviously some of this depends on your internet needs. But like Pat pointed out, there may not even be cell signal where you'll be staying. So some research is in order.

Also, the New York State Thruway has free wi-fi at every service area.

Many GC's now offer wi-fi as part of their packages.

FWIW, Verizon seems to have the most 3G coverage at the moment if you really need that.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #4

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Before we had Verizon Wireless, great for a fulltimer, we found that many western campgrounds had wireless, more than in the east. As well virtually every Library has wireless or at the very minimum laptops for visitors to use. For a month long trip you should easily be able to get by.

Since we've gotten our little netbook I've found free wireless in the most unusual places, the local CVS while waiting for a prescription, my wife's dermetologist while waiting for her. Very often you don't even need to go inside the library, in Canada we have simply sat outside the building with our laptop and get on line, even when the building is closed.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda03842
Since we've gotten our little netbook I've found free wireless in the most unusual places, the local CVS while waiting for a prescription, my wife's dermetologist while waiting for her. Very often you don't even need to go inside the library, in Canada we have simply sat outside the building with our laptop and get on line, even when the building is closed.
In Tupper Lake, NY the library offers free wi-fi but you have to get the password from the desk. Once you have that set up as a memorized wi-fi connection in your PC or smartphone, you can sit in your car outside the library 24/7 and use the net.

Point being that it's a bit different in different places. I found a free connection in one of our doctor's offices, admittedly part of a hospital complex, but there and free nonetheless.

As Norm points out, you may be way ahead dollar-wise to see if you can find some free wi-fi connects, especially for a one month trip.

www.wififreespot.com

www.openwifispots.com

There's lot's more. Just do a Google or Bing search.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #6

SUN #766
phillong
Maybe not the best method, but I have been using Virgin Broadband to Go.

For me it is perfect because I only need it for 3 or 4 days while camping.

I buy it as I need it, no contracts.

I usually purchase the $10.00 plan, which gives me 10 days of use and so much data use.

I found it to be slow as it is only a 3g network. I think they use Verizon, not sure. But it is fast enough to check mail and hit the few sites I need to access.

Phil
Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #7

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Virgin Mobile soultion is an interesting choice. Thanks for the info. It seems it's possible to buy the service a month at a time without a contract and that's a good deal..

You'd do have to buy a wireless card ($99) but you can have 3G level service.

Check to see if Virgin provides coverage in the part of Arizona you will be in. From what I see of the coverage map is does not look like the Verizon network to me.

My own experience with our Verizon card is that we had coverage everywhere we went in AZ.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband

Verizon also has a monthly plan.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...nd/?page=plans

It seems to have a lot more AZ coverage.

Safe Travels,
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

SUN #115
emam
Its hard for me to comment on our Verzion access because of our Wilson Amplifier (we almost NEVER are without a strong signal) but I do know that we've stayed in numerous sites where others have had AT&T or other providers and couldnt get a signal, but those of us with the Verizon devices all had access.

I'm in no way affiliated with Verizon, just trying to speak from experience

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #9

SUN #863
judyh
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the great and helpful information. We appreciate the leads and will do more research on the internet question.

Thank you

Judy and George Hauck