Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #1

SUN #125
1boomer
Question for Nuvi 350 Users

When you enter information into the "Calculate Routes" for Car, Truck or Bus etc. is there a setting for RV? If no Rv choice is there, what do you enter for your vehicle?

If you enter Car, would it possibly direct you to somewhere that a travel trailer couldn't or shouldn't go?

Have found a 350 for $388.95 and am considering ordering it as it sounds like the right choice of a GPS.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #2

SUN #225
Mark
I think its more of a "preference" thing. I think the "car" setting might give you steeper grades and/or two lanes, where a "bus" setting might keep you on he highway more.

It won't get you into a jam. I know many people who prefer two lane road when towing---instead of highways----as 55 and less MPH is a "safer/calmer" way to tow anyhow.

Trying to do 55 MPH on a highway these days could induce road rage

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,
Sorry I'm slow posting a reply. I was in TN for a week with Sunny at the East Coast GTG for Open Roads Singles.

I have a Nuvi 350, though I haven't used it much (YET), I have it set for "BUS", knew I didn't want car, and wasn't sure about truck as I figured it might keep me on tractor-trailer routes.

Headwed west July 10th, so will know more then, BUT, that don't help you now.

Sounds like your able to get a great price on it.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #4

SUN #201
Charlsve
I am thinking of getting the 350, as my wife wants one in the worst way and it was highly rated in a recent non-biased 'review' magazine. I had no idea of all those choices (car,bus, etc). Sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the food for thought!

Charlie
Old 05-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #5

SUN #125
1boomer
Well, after fooling around with this little wizard I've found a flaw that could cause some trouble when we're traveling with the Sunnie.

On my most recent trip to our local Wal Mart, I set the destination. The NUVI sent me off in the correct direction but when I approached the busy intersection where I turn left to the WM, it told me to turn right

Traveling solo, with nothing being towed, this would be no big deal but I can envision the agony of trying to find a turnaround in a busy area such as this.

Now I'm a little leary of the accuracy of my "little helper."
Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #6

SUN #201
Charlsve
1boomer, I just today ordered the unit you have (Garmin Nuvi350). The news you gave is a bit dissappointing, but guess I'll hope that whatever errors exist are few. Mapquest is notorious for the occasional surprise error. I wonder how flawless whatever map databases are that get used for GPS work? Thanks for the report!

Charlie
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #7

SUN #21
donreitz
If you expect the unit to be absolutely correct every time, you'll end up disappointed. The results are only as good as the data used in calculating travel routes, and as a director of planning for a local government, I can tell you with absolute authority that maintaining accurate, up-to-date records of streets and addresses is not always easy. I've run into situations with my nuvi 350 where it doesn't recognize one-way streets. But given its ability to recalculate your route on the fly, it isn't too much of a problem.

Another thing I've noticed is that the nuvi will sometimes pick different routes coming and going. That is, it'll pick one route going from A to B, and then pick a different route going from B to A. I've seen this happen with Mapquest too, so I assume it's a peculiarity of the route-making algorithim.

As far as the bus/car/truck preference goes, in my travels around Indiana and Michigan I've tried different settings and not found any difference in route selection.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
Try getting directions from Lexington, VA to Montebello, VA. There is NO WAY anyone should travel up rt. 56 from I81 through Vesuvuis. However, in a car it's just a white knuckle. I'd be interested to see if there's a difference in directions when you plug in car vs. bus.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote