Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #1

SUN #83
Both2Retired
Prppane tank and hoses

I want to eliminate using "mini" canisters of propane. Buying enough of them will more than pay for a larger, refillable tank and the necessary hoses.

I already have an extra propane tank, from my home gas grill. That's probably the biggest expense. Now I need to purchase hoses & etc. to supply gas from the tank to my camping grill and camping stove. Can anyone recommend specifically what to buy and a good place to make the purchase(s). Thanks!

5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

SUN #256
Bobo
Check the Camping World web site. They have a five foot hose just for that purpose for $31.10. Cheaper if you have the Presidents Club card. Or you can try a local propane dealer.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #3

SUN #105
mbart5fan
We use this on a 20# tank. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=27400
Lantern on top and 2 hoses attached to stove and grill. Unhook the hoses and move the lantern where it's needed in the evening. Walmart sells both the tree and the hoses for.

Mike
Old 01-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John

See if this helps. You can use bits and pieces of this to make your combo work. I too was tired of those little green cylinders, the cost, then how to get rid of them and worst, the valve would leak after 1 use sometimes. I wanted to get a 10# refillable cylinder, good shut off valve, heavy construction tank, cheaper to refill and lasts a long time. But I had a problem of where to put it for transport. Both from a space stand point and a legal one. At that time I had a 2500 Suburban as my TV with our T2499 camper. So I ended up going with a 5# refillable that I could store on the TT tongue.

Now I have a PU truck. And more options are open to me to even use a spare 20# gas grill tank. That 20# barbeque grill tank fits exactly into a plastic milk crate if you can find one. Then you can strap it in the truck bed and it won’t tip over and is easier to carry.

Below are some pictures of my set ups and how we use them. I can use it in about any configuration.

First are the hoses that you talked about. They sell 5 to 8 foot ones. I have 2. One for cook stove the other the Weber Go anywhere grill. Or I screw them togehter to make one long hose if I run out of gas in the portable tank, I can go to the TT tanks to finish cooking dinner....

Marshal Brass makes them and they are packaged in many other brands. http://www.marshallbrass.com/rv.htm Century camping also has them. http://www.centurycamping.com/accessories/hoses/

Coleman sells them in Walmart and Mr. Heater sells them too. At Camping world or other RV places.

The fitting ends you need to figure out which ones you want to use. I used the type that look like they screw onto the little green cylinders on both ends. Called a 1"-20FMSwivel to a 1"-20MSwivel . See here http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=52&id=55

Since I use 2 hoses, one to stove and 1 to grill, I stuck with that male female 1”-20 fitting. But if you want to just use 1 hose then this might work for you to go direct the tank to the grill. It has different ends. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=27200

I have a Tee made my Century but I cannot locate it on there web site to link you. But I have a picture. I bought mine at Walmart. Again need to know what style fitting you need/want.

I also use a propane gage to help tell me when the tank is getting low and to check for gas leaks. To leak check, turn on gas, see gage go up, turn off tank, then let it sit. Come back ½ hr later the gas pressure should still be up. If not you have a leak. This gage setup also converts me from the new style propane tank fitting to the Tee I have. http://www.gasgaugedirect.com/ They sells these in a lot of places, Walmart, Ace Harware, Camping world, RV stores etc.

Here see what I do. Camping world has fairly good Mr. Heater selection but if you hunt enough you can find parts of these sort of all over by different brands. Ace Hardware also has a large selection.

The tank Tee, Gage and 2 hoses connecting when I use both the grill and the stove

A top view

One end to the Weber

Then one end to the stove

OR, when not grilling, I just use one end to the stove.

I can also carry then entire stove and tank to a picnic table if needed.

To carry my 5# tank when I had the Suburban I made this holder for it.
The tank on the tongue

A top view

The bottom carrier

Once you have figured out what you want, do some searching. Cost, length, the right fittings and adapters. With some hunting you can find the right combo and the cheapest price.

Hope this helps or gets you heading in the right direction to ask more questions.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Good sources for these items are WalMart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, etc.

We carry 4 of the 8' hoses plus a 5 footer that doesn't need the adapter to fit a 20# tank, the "T" like JohnB has, the "power stick" like Mike showed, and more. There are also a bunch of bits and pieces; adapters for this and that, and I even have a thing that'll let me refill those one pound throw-aways. Can't get a full pound in them, but it will fill them about 2/3 full. I toss it all in a small tote box and keep it ready at all times. (The 30" power stick is the only thing that won't fit in the tote.)

We have a propane Coleman lantern that threads on the top end of the power stick, and it is our primary outdoor light source when we camp in the Adirondack campgrounds - the NYS ones don't have any hookups and the propane is easier to use than stuff off the trailer's battery. Warmer too for spring and fall camping.

I also put a fitting on my propane setup on the trailer that lets me tap those tanks ahead of the regulator (high pressure) with the standard Coleman style hoses that hook to the stoves, etc.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #6

SUN #83
Both2Retired
Propane tank & hoses

Thanks to everyone for the information about connecting a propane tank to a camping stove & grill. JohnB - thank you, especially for the details and photos. I learn much better by seeing what is being described.
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #7

SUN #115
emam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Check the Camping World web site. They have a five foot hose just for that purpose for $31.10. Cheaper if you have the Presidents Club card. Or you can try a local propane dealer.

Bobo
We always keep a Camping World catalog on hand for referance, but rearely buy anything from them. Once we really started price shopping, we found that even with the presidents club membership, they are usually higher than many of the local competitors.

There are a few things that we use them for, but for the most part, they cant compete.

Just a word to the wise

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote