Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
Private Campground Memberships

I was just wondering how many site members belong to a private campground chain, and if you like them. I belong to the Outdoor World family and they have been bought by Thousand Trails. I'm just curious how many members belong to a similar system. Also if anyone belongs to Thousand Trails I'm curious how you like the campgrounds and the customer service. I've noticed a considerable decline in my customer service in the ODW system now that TT has aquired the chain. TT is also pressuring ODW members to buy into the TT system, and I'm curious if it's worth the $2500 price tag they are offering to ODW members. There are 15 ODW campgrounds in the chain along the east coast. Eight of them are within an approximate three hour drive from me, including two on the Jersey Shore. I only know of one TT near here, and it's in the Hershey area. Any feedback is appreciated.

2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #2

SUN #115
emam
I only know this info from sitting in a campground talking with our camp neighbors about the Thousand Trails membership for quite awhile. We got to talking about the different memberships, and they said although they are members of TT, they would have never spent the advertised price for the membership.

They went on to say that you can always do some research and find someone who is getting out of their membership and selling it for 1/2 of what they normally go for. This couple fulltimed in a very large motorcoach and said they could justify the membership cost because of the benefits.

For the seasonal camper, or even a snowbird, I dont know if you would be able to pay it off in a few years at the advertised price. I know they told me the VIP package is somewhere around $5000 and that doesnt include yearly dues.

If you fulltime, or plan on spending 3-4 months in the camper, then I would think it might be worth looking into, but that's a lot of money

Like I said, I onlky know this from talking to a couple for about an hour only a few days ago. I guess they get a kickback if I join and use their name. So if you could get multiple people to join and use your referance number, you could essentially get it for free

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #3

SUN #196
tinybluetj
WE looked in to TT last year. After asking several of our friends, we choose not to join. We hear stories about difficulty resreving sites, not getting sites, etc.... And be careful, if you dont get the "right" membership, then you don't get the discounts at other parks. We figure we will prob. spend that amount of $ camping, but at least we can go different places, and try different types of parks, and not 'have' to go where there is a TT park.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #4

SUN #115
emam
My thought exactly Kathryn. We also thought why be locked into certain type of parks. Our whole reason for camping is to see plenty of different places and as many as possible.

Like I said, this makes sense if you go to a certain area every year and spend a few months there. I think you would get your money out of it then. But for anyone who likes to move around alot, this just doesnt seem feasable. The cople we spoke with said you have to make your reservations 90 days in advance unless you go with the VIP package. We never know where we're going to be 90days in advance.

Heck, I dont know where I'm going to be tomorrow...LOL

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
Thanks for the information on TT. I had heard some of the same comments about them in the past, so they seem genuine. I think I'll just stick with my ODW membership. It's just a little scary that they were bought out by the group that owns TT. They sent me a letter inviting me to a seminar to explain the merger and the new benefits that a TT membership would offer to an ODW member. I think I will skip it, not into hard sells. My family has belonged to ODW since 1985, It's early days in existence. The membership to ODW cost $15k in 1985 but it is good for three generations. I make reservations on the same day most of the time, if I even make reservations. They know me very well at our favorite campground and just send me right in. I like that personal touch, and I've had nothing but trouble with the customer service from TT. Thanks for your opinions, another view on a subject always helps.
Lowell
Old 11-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #6

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
Are these like a time-share camping site? When I am acosted by time share sales people at various events I pride myself in telling them that I RV and don't need nor respect time shares.

Why would someone want to be locked in to the same campgrounds? Isn'
t going to different places what makes it so much fun?
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #7

SUN #128
Tweety
When my Dad & his wife full timed for 8 years they belonged to TT and had several other memberships. They seemed to do very well by using the TT as much as possible, and liked their campgrounds alot. They bought their membership used and would stay in a TT park for the fully allowed time period before moving on. (I think it was 2 weeks in / 1 week out before you could go to another one) For them, and their needs it worked out well. They always wanted full hookups, and like staying in one place for 2 weeks, and were full timers.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
The membership isn't really a time share, more like a pass. There are 14 resorts in the ODW system, and I can use all of them free of charge. Well not really free, the membership cost about $15k, and the annual maint. dues are about $550. It may seem like a lot but the Master Membership (what I have) is good for three "Generations". You may will, give, or sell you membership to another "Generation". I have mine through my grandparents who bought into ODW in 1985. When my Grandfather passed away in 1998 my Grandmother gave me the membership. I pay the yearly dues and use the membership. You can find them for sale often for as low as $1500. Members who are too old to enjoy, of family members of ODW members who have passed looking to sell the membership often sell them cheap. If you do any decent amount of camping, and the resorts are in your area it's definately worth it. Look at the dues cost: $550, well thats equal to about 15 nights of camping in an average park that charges $35 per night. We usually go the the Jersey Shore (Sea Isle City) for a 10 day vacation each summer. The cost of the camping in another park would be at least $300 for that time. However there are 2 ODW resorts within 10 minutes of the shore, so $0 cost.
Believe me I'm not a sales rep for ODW, but I see the benefits of the membership. I did blow off the meeting that TT wanted to have with me, because I can't rationalize the purchase of another, albeit a larger, private camping membership at my present age/traveling ability. Maybe in another 40 years when I retire.