Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #21

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
David

Pull a string tight across the header or use a long straight edge. The pic may be an illusion or you have the beginning of a problem.

Thanks

John
I did see some pictures done that way looking at the posts this afternoon. I will try that but it will be Sunday evening before I have a chance to do so.

OK - I could not wait and went out and did the string test. the header across the front appears to be bowed 1/4 to 1/2 inch towards the front.

I plan to call Sagon, the dealer where I purchased my Sunline and see what they know about this.

In the mean time, is there an agreed upon fix for this if it is still in the early stages. I have trips planned for the next several weekends, but not sure if I should make them without the repair completed.

I will post pics as soon as possible and let all know what Sagon has to say.

Thanks,
David

2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #22

SUN #231
Deb B
David,

We too bought our 2363 from Sagon. We had decided to just fix the problem ourselves since it is in the beginning stage. I'm curious to know what they tell you. I really don't want to pull it from Woodstock to Jackson with this problem. Maybe we should at least report the problem to them.

Deb

4x4, 5.7, 3:73 gears
Towing package
Deb B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #23

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb B
David,

We too bought our 2363 from Sagon. We had decided to just fix the problem ourselves since it is in the beginning stage. I'm curious to know what they tell you. I really don't want to pull it from Woodstock to Jackson with this problem. Maybe we should at least report the problem to them.

Deb
I cannot remember if you have posted about your repair. Have you had the work done? About how much did it cost? or do you expect it to cost.

I am curious how much I should expect to pay and if I should take it to someone closer for repair. Sagon is about hour from me, but if I knew what to tell someone to do, I might just take it to a welder nearby.

David
Old 07-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #24

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by partimcmpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb B
David,

Deb
I cannot remember if you have posted about your repair. Have you had the work done? About how much did it cost? or do you expect it to cost.

I am curious how much I should expect to pay and if I should take it to someone closer for repair. Sagon is about hour from me, but if I knew what to tell someone to do, I might just take it to a welder nearby.

David
David

Check out Tweety's fix on Page 9 - 4th reply from the top of the page in the Bent front frame cross-member on '07 Solaris T-2499 topic within the Repairs and Maintenance forum.

They had Lippert perform the work and it cost them $91.
If I was in your situation, I would look to get the same fix that Tweety got and use their prices as a bench mark to compare with estimates received.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #25

SUN #408
partimcmpr
My 2553 has been inspected by Sagon and Lippert has looked at the picture below. Sagon told me the slight bow (see picture below) is normal and that the c channel across the front does not normally take that much stress in pulling the trailer and that most of the strength comes from the 4 inch c channel extending from the coupler to the i beams down the side of the trailer.

Both Sagon and Lippert said I could re-enforce the the front c channel, but felt it was not really necessary in my case. As one would suspect, the frame is out of warranty and I cannot claim it on my extended warranty because 'it has not failed' yet.

I will agree that at this point that there are no other indications that I have a problem. My battery sits fine, no bowing in any other components, no cracked welds.

I am curious if anyone else has the same very slight bowing that I see on my trailer.

At this point, I am going to use the string method to docment the amount of bow in my front c channel. At the first sign of any change in the amount of bow, I will pursue again.

(I also had the Dometic recall work performed!)

Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #26

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
partimcmpr,

I also have a 2553 built in Sept. 2004 but I show no bending of the header as of yet. I will continue to watch the post in the "repairs and modifications" section. If there is a possibility that the bending can happen I would want to take action. I am waiting for Kanyon Kitty to post her fix.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:39 AM   #27

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I am curious if anyone else has the same very slight bowing that I see on my trailer.
David, my '99 has the same bow in the header that you see on your trailer, and it has been there since the day we took delivery of the trailer when it was new.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #28

SUN #176
jnoble
Frame problems

I checked the A frame and crossmember of my 2075 and saw no problem. This trailer is a 2007 with 6000 miles on it. The tongue weight is 660 lbs so is lighter than some of the ones being discussed.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #29

SUN #406
chuck & lori
I can see no problems with the A frame or crossmember on our 2007 2075 So sorry to hear of all the problems many of you are having
Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #30

SUN #408
partimcmpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins
Quote:
David, my '99 has the same bow in the header that you see on your trailer, and it has been there since the day we took delivery of the trailer when it was new.
I am hoping I am OK. I will be watching closely, at least for a while.

BTW - I feel comfortable that Sagon looked closely at my trailer. In fact, I think most of the service and body department may have looked at it! At least I did get the Dometic Fridge recall taken care of while they had my trailer.

Later,
David