Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

SUN #3947
Really is an unknown quantity at this point
Opinions on remodeling vs. restoring?

Hi all!

I’ve noticed that a lot of people have older sunnies in pristine condition thanks to either being the original owners or having purchased from someone who took care of their camper. Other people get them in various states and restore them to factory-new.

I’m the umpteenth owner of my 1985 T-1751 and it came to me in mediocre shape, with the original upholstery covered and damaged, mismatched hardware on the cabinets and drawers, swollen countertops, a broken pole-mounted dining table, the original flooring a moldy mess- and that’s just inside and I’m not remembering everything. There’s also some outside damage – dents and scratches and holes, repairs done with home siding, and the door is mildewed straight through.

Instead of trying to restore my camper, I’ve decided to remodel/redecorate/redo. The motorhome featured on here, here, and here is my inspiration. She started off with a relatively outdated motorhome, remodeled it once to make it have a cutesy cottagey style in the first link, and then remodeled again recently to update it to a less frilly style in the second 2 links.

I’m planning on doing something similar to this. Inside, I’m going to paint all the cabinets, walls, and ceiling a soft off white, put down vinyl plank flooring, get new door and drawer hardware, replace the countertops, replace the old dining table, switch the pull out couch in the back with a permanent 3/4 bed, get new custom cushions for the L-shaped dinette bench, mount a microwave, mount a tv/dvd player on a swing arm, hang blinds, and repaint all the yellowed old plastic and anything else funky looking. I’ve been putting together stuff that I find on sale for decorating- so far it looks like I’ll be using natural linen, black, and off white.

Outside, I’m going to eventually repaint in a white/silver/black scheme, get a custom Sunline decal made to match, and get a new awning canopy in the same color scheme – mostly because I can find white/black/silver parts much easier than cream.

So, I’ve clearly got grand plans (especially since right now the poor dear is halfway taken apart as I fix old leaks and replace wood that's rotted away to dust), but I wonder, how do different folks here feel about this? Am I ‘ruining’ a sunny, or am I making it my own?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
You're making it your own! The links are neat. I love what she did. The motorhome went from ugly and outdated to looking like a welcoming cottage! Good luck with your project, and make it your own

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree! When restoration is no longer practical, customize! With nothing to compare it to, it can only be "done right"
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote