Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #1

SUN #604
MikeJ
Newbie- needs help

Hello

I am very pleased to have found this site.

I am brand new to camping and campers.

The good news;
I just brought home today a 1980 8'6' SSDR 550R Truck Camper.
It is great. And from what I have read here Sunline was a great camper to have found. The 1st owner kept it in a garage 20 yrs until 2000 and the last owner took very good care of it.
28 yrs old - NO leaks. The heater, stove, refrigerator, flush potty and sink ALL Work! The instructions for the heater and frig are still in the drawers.

The only bad thing is I have a short or a bad connector in my pick up truck, all the lights worked when hooked up to the previous owners truck. On my truck the brake and turn signal lights work but the marker and interior lights do not. I do a lot of my own work but I am not comfortable with electric wiring and do not want to just replace the connector without knowing if it is the problem. I would like some advise on whom to take it to.

Should I go to the local mechanic who probably can trace a short ok ? Or take it to a RV dealer who handles towing and light connectors every day?
Are the labor charges from a RV dealer usually higher or lower than a local auto shop?

Nice to be here.

mike

Old 05-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #2

SUN #62
rich2500
Hi Mike I see your from glenside Pa. where in Pa. is glenside,I'm in berks county and I know of a glenside in reading,if this is where you are from I can reccommend a shop,It's Weavers,they are Amish folks and when it comes to automotive electrical work they know their stuff and the rates are very reasonable also,If you are interested I can get you the phone number.

01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 AM   #3

SUN #307
purplesuebug
Hey Mike,
First let me start by extending a warm welcome you to the site. You will find friendly people and great advise here. Secondly, I work in Wyndmoor so we are practically neighbors.............well, while I'm a work anyway
Anyway............believe it or not, most of the u-haul places are pretty darn good at chasing pigtail problems. They are usually pretty reasonable on their prices as well. Before you take it somewhere, check your connection for dirt and corrosion that may inhibit a good contact. My 7 prong got mud in it once and it was impossible to make the lights work until a sat down and cleaned each prong with craft stick (popsicle stick) and sandpaper. Now it works great. Just an idea.....................Marshall
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #4

SUN #604
MikeJ
Rich - Glenside is just 1 mile from Cheltenham ave which borders the north west side of Philly. At the very SE end of Rt 309 . Kinda between Germantown and Willow Grove. or near Jenkintown.

Thanks for weaver's info but Reading would be a little too far. I'll keep them in mind for big jobs.

Marshall- Funny, I live here and work out in Royersford.
Good idea about U-Haul, there are a lot around here. and a good one over in Willow Grove.

As I just got it yesterday, after the rain quits I'll get out there and check all the wires and connectors again, go over them with some sandpaper.

Thanks Mike
Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #5

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Mike,
Welcome, I'm a new guy around here myself. I'm not sure what you're using to haul your new camper but as you check wiring continuity and contact points you might also want to check your vehicle's fuse panel. It sounds to me like you may have blown a fuse when you 1st plugged in.

Take care,
Jason
Old 05-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #6

SUN #604
MikeJ
Good news!
3 minutes---done

After 7 yr I did not realize the truck had 2 fuse panels.
One clearly marked fuse was blown.
Done deal

You guys are good