Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #1

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Need Northern Ohio Campground Recommendation

Time for one last trip before winterizing the Sunline for the year. We were planning to stay in MI but the weather looks better going into Ohio. Aside from Cedar Point I've never camped in Ohio. I would like to stay in the northern half as I am in Detroit and only am going for a couple nights.

If anyone knows the area, I'd love a recommendation for a nice CG with plenty of space for my fifth wheel and great hiking trails. Hookups not necessary, but welcome. Also it seems many CG's are not trimming tree branches like they used to, which is an issue for me with the height of the fifth wheel. So easy ingress/egress is important too. Thanks for any input!

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
It's not OH, but we really like Chain O'Lakes SP in IN--nw of Ft. Wayne, SR9, south of Albion, IN.

Some "unofficial" info: http://www.stateparks.com/chain_olakes_noble.html

You could use this site to make a reservations or check for a suitable site before you arrive: http://www.indiana.reserveworld.com/...nds/search.cfm

Follow the instructions and links to end up on an interactive map that describes each site. We took 280 because all sites seem to have a 90° access and the road opposite here allowed more space to back in.

This is a very typically nice SP based on a number of other places we have camped. The campsites are not in a forest, fairly open, but there are lots of trees around.

The dump site is slightly downhill.

The campsites and whole park are very clear in Google Earth.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #3

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out Maumee Bay SP. It has electric hookups. Clean, heated bath/showers. You can fill up with water and dump near the entrance. Pets allowed. Some sites are larger than others, but none real small or tight. We/or my brother (with a 38 ft fiver) have been on #124, 149 and 150. #149 and 150 have a view of the pond out the back window. You can book online ($8 booking fee) or just pull in and pick a site. There is a really nice boardwalk path near the lodge at the other end of the park and a trail within the campground. Check out the 2009 Midwest M&G forum. The last post (by JohnB) has some pics of site #102. Not a lot of large trees for shade but it is getting cooler this time of year. Watch in the evening for deer--they'll bed down right behind you especially if you're by the water.

Their web site is http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/mau...4/Default.aspx
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #4

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Thanks guys... those sound like two nice recommendations, and I'm saving this info for possibly ONE more trip this year. As for this weekend my two brothers have talked me into a guy's trip to Cedar Point, which has a really nice, newer campground with full hookups. It's basically just a fancy place to park the rig. But you can't beat the proximity and access to the amusement park from there, though it is VERY expensive ($85/nt!)

Jeff
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #5

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsolutions
Thanks guys... those sound like two nice recommendations, and I'm saving this info for possibly ONE more trip this year. As for this weekend my two brothers have talked me into a guy's trip to Cedar Point, which has a really nice, newer campground with full hookups. It's basically just a fancy place to park the rig. But you can't beat the proximity and access to the amusement park from there, though it is VERY expensive ($85/nt!)

Jeff

Ouch
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #6

SUN #780
Like2Camp
Hi Ihsolutions,
My wife and I spent a week at the Streetsboro KOA in August. The KOA is a nice campground; just off the turnpike and south of Cleveland. The KOA has quite number of pull through sites; you will not have any trouble getting in or out.
Happing Camping,

2011 Hartland Bighorn 3055RL
2014 Redwood 31SL
2012 Ford Lariat F350, Diesel, 4x4, B&W hitch
Like2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote