Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #1

SUN #9668
Stacez8075 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need advice PLEASE!:)

Hello my name is Stacey & this is my very first post (hope I'm doing things correct & I get my question answered) I have been looking to find an older model travel trailer to fix up & give new life to. I happened to find a 1988 Sunline Sunray model 320, It is 32ft with an amazing floor plan bunk beds in the rear with a good size full/queen nice kitchen setup just awesome. The problem is .. we'll just about everything .. it needs a new roof, new floor, new door, glass is broken in one window it also has a hole in the siding on the outside & this is just what I could see with my eyes. I will be getting this beauty for nothing but what I'm wondering is will I regret taking this project on? Does this sound like a lost cause? I don't want to bring it home to learn that it's going to cost a fortune & I won't be able to fix all the issues & now I have this monstrosity sitting in my not so big front yard. I don't mind putting the work into it or a little bit of cash. I was thinking I wouldn't want to have to invest more than $2500. This would be my first project like this & im not sure we are a good match but I'm in love & it really needs to be saved. Any help would be MUCH appreciated & if taking on this project I may need every one of you

Old 08-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #2

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Stacey,
Welcome to the Sunline club! I admire your ambition, but when the floor and roof need to be replaced, it IS a major project and one you should be very careful about considering. The door and window issues are really no big deal, but if you are talking about rotted wood, then time may be your biggest factor, not so much money.

Now, if you're talking about a worn vinyl floor, or a stained rubber roof, (aluminum? not sure about '88, could be aluminum), that may be a different matter, but if you're finding soft spots in the roof and floor, beware.
Rich

vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

SUN #9668
Stacez8075 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's in bad shape it's totally leaking .. like raining inside in spots. My husband is super handy & will help with the real big issues. I can put more money into it but I wouldn't want to go much over $5000. Everything else inside looks like it can be saved but the floor & the roof in spots are bad. I'm going to go take some pictures & get them loaded up. It's so sad & begging for attention. I appreciate the response have an awesome day.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

SUN #8893
Thomascine is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Stacey,

It sounds like quite a project. It is doable. However, like vcrt stated it will take some time. Perhaps you should post some pictures. The seniors can tell you what you are looking at as far as the amount of work involved. Pictures help a lot.

Again, welcome and good luck. I hope it works out.

Tommie

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do..." Mark Twain]
Thomascine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #5

SUN #37
vcrt is an unknown quantity at this point
I think for not much over $5000, you can find a Sunline that needs very little. Then you can begin enjoying camping this year!
Rich
vcrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Stacey,

Your admiration to save a camper is commendable! The "project" will be a big one. It may take over a year or more to do pending on the time you have to work on it and if it is being done indooors.

Something to mention first, just about all the labor to do the work your husband and you will need to provide. Hiring something this large out will be worth more then the camper a few times over. Shop rates of $75 to $120/hr are common and there will be hundreds of labor hours.

OK with that aside, it is doable. This thread can help on a new roof so you can see some what will be involved. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-16834.html

In that roof repair case, everything inside the camper was in very good shape. Did not need to correct anything inside. The repair was done from the outside. The post shows the costs and the time between the 2 of us doing this repair inside my barn. If the inside needs to be repaired, the time and cost will increase as it depends on how many cabinets need to be removed etc.

This post can help show a project camper I'm working on. I have not made it to the fix it part yet, but this is the take it apart phase. On this project a new roof and new inside back wall and part of the floor needs redoing. But the rest of the camper is not that bad. Once rebuilt it will be a good sound camper. But again, this is a 2004 camper so all the appliances are newer. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...avy-17684.html

You can spend a good amount of time fixing up a newer camper and spend a smaller to moderate amount of money. The older camper, once the structure repair is done, then the appliances have a set of concerns to them and how long will they last? Money can go quick if several of the appliances will need to be replaced from the word go or a year after using the camper.

How long do you want to keep this camper? and there is an insurance part of this too. It may be possible to have RV insurance that after the repair is done, you get it appraised and the value be declared higher then a standard 1988 camper. And then the value can be locked in verses an auto policy rider on a camper that will continue to depreciate. In case something happens to the camper, a tree falls on it, fire, theft etc one of the large disasters you would be covered. But it takes that special insurance to do this.

What you are wanting to do is possible and the materials may fall in under the $5,000 not including appliances. Like Vcrt stated, if your budget is $2500 to $5000 you can find another water wet camper that is newer and will not take as much to repair.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #7

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Stacey,

Welcome to SOC! As far as the Sunray 320 goes, take a look at the threads that JohnB posted as well as some others which deal with roof replacement and water damage. Get a sense of what you'll be up against & ask yourself if you want a big project, especially time-wise. As others have said, $5000 can get you a pretty nice Sunline and you can be out camping this season. Let us know what you decide.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote