Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1

SUN #1635
vanhakke is an unknown quantity at this point
Natchez Trace Parkway - Any Advice?

Hello, all you Sunliners,

Looks like our next trip this coming April will take us down the length of the Natchez Trace, in Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. Never RV'd in that part of the country. Betting that lots of you have, and have stories to tell?

Would appreciate any comments, advice or guidance for traveling on the Trace. Our plans include Shiloh Battlefield, Vicksburg, and the Antebellum Homes of Natchez.

Thanks in advace.

Dennis & Marie

Two cats, Arty and Tobi: The May/December romance.
vanhakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Natchez Trace

Hi Dennis & Marie,
We've been gone a couple of days helping son #3 move and I see no one has responded, so I'll give it a shot with my somewhat limited experience.

We have not driven the length of the Natchez Trace, but have been on it in the Jackson/Natchez area. And we've been to Vicksburg and Natchez, but that was in 2001.

Vicksburg and Natchez are both very historic cities with lots to see. We liked Natchez a bit better. Google USS Cairo to get info on a must see part of the Vicksburg Military Park and be sure to go to nps.gov for lots of other info on the Trace and the Military Park.

We stayed in a commercial park in Vicksburg and Natchez SP near Natchez. Natchez SP is a very nice typical SP quality type of park. Don't forget the southern states have a 12 month camping season and you need reservations on the weekends for sure. Camping on the Trace is typical NPS and that means no services. We were there in March and at that time of year you will need heat, at least at night. The parts of the Trace we drove were similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway which we have driven in its entirety. If memory serves me right it is also somewhat limited access so plan gas stops carefully. Also on the BRP, some scenic turnouts are not trailer friendly and I expect the same of the Trace. Research any area you want to go to, plan an overnight stop if necessary and be prepared to double back solo to see some things. At Natchez, cross the river into LA to visit Frogmore. We found it to be very interesting and I believe it has been improved even more in the last years.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

SUN #1635
RV-ing On The Trace

Hello, Henry,

Thank you for the reply. Is it winter in Ontario, yet? Will be soon here in Detroit.

Thanks for the tip on Frogmore. We were just talking about cotton plantations the other night.

Can you remember when you were on the Trace in '01, did you use any of the free campgrounds that the NPS talks about on their website? It tells us that there are 3 campgrounds, all of them very small, but doesn't say anything else specific. I'm wondering if 30' trailers would fit? I'm looking for someone who as seen or used them.

We plan on leaving Michigan in late March, and we'll probably hang out on the Trace for a week or so. Also plan on spending time in Natchez on the way to New Orleans.

Thanks again for the reply.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
Dennis, we did not camp in the NPS sites. The website says the Trace is "RV friendly." We've camped in lots of NP and have never had a problem with length, although there are definitely short sites too. NP are different from National Forests. I would never wander into a National Forest without prior knowledge. This NPS page has a phone number offering help and I would use that. We've called/emailed NP in the past and have found them to be very willing to help.

I used a satellite view on Rocky Springs and it looks like a decent cpg. with a big loop and angled sites. Check the others too and have a plan B. We've found SP and RV parks south of Kentucky are generally open 12 months and certainly by April.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

SUN #1635
SP / NP / NFS Camping

Hi, Henry,

This is all excellant advice. From the sounds of it, I think one could probably use the cg's on the Trace, if one were to turn in early and beat the rush.

Regarding National Forest Camps, agree entirely. Don't go with an RV without knowing ahead of time. On that note, we have recently stumbled upon a website that is invaluable for RV'ers with a primitive bent: www.forestcamping.com . In what I would have to call a tour de force, Fred and Suzi Dow have documented, in detail, almost all the Forest Service campgrounds in the lower 48. Its a most impressive website, and I would highly recommend it for RV'ers who really, really want to get away from it all.

Thanks again.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhakke View Post
Hi, Henry,

Regarding National Forest Camps, agree entirely. Don't go with an RV without knowing ahead of time. On that note, we have recently stumbled upon a website that is invaluable for RV'ers with a primitive bent: www.forestcamping.com .

Dennis
Dennis, Thank you for that link. I followed it and here flies up Wayne National Forest which is just south of us in Ohio. I have back packed the Wayne with the Scouts but never knew they have RV sites with electric???

Will investigate more. The NF's out west look really cool! Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #7

SUN #1635
Smile National Forest Camping Website

John, and Everyone,

The online guide to National Forest Campgrounds www.forestcamping.com , is a fascinating website. It is huge and comprehensive. I give enormous credit to the people who run it. Truely a labor of love. Did you check the section where they list available hosting jobs in the various campgrounds? The listing is huge.

We have only been to the Wayne National Forest once, about 15 years ago. At that time, the RV facilities were virtually non-existant. We camped at a dusty old pull-over near a rather ugly section of a small river. It certainly appears that they have improved the facility since then.

We would encourage all of you to check out this site. It eliminates most of the fear associated with trying to RV in a National Forest.

Dennis
Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
If you get anywhere near Clarksdale, Mississippi and enjoy music, the Delta blues Museum is a great stop. The birth of the blues and the roots of Rock & Roll are there.
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #9

SUN #1635
Smile

Paul & Jan

Thanks for an excellant tip! We both like that kind of music.
Will check it out.

Dennis & Marie