Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
KD got another boo-boo today

After a wonderful weekend of camping, with David and Mary Ann (rebellious78) We had a little mishap. We stopped at Lowes, to get some mouse traps and my son took the dogs to pee. When he was trying to let KD back into the truck, she jumped a bit too soon and he accidentally let go of the door. KD clipped the corner of it and sliced her leg open again. This is the same leg, that she injured before a Sunline rally years ago. Kitty and my daughter Deanna rushed KD to the emergency vet and spent the next 5 hours there. My son and I went home, to drop the Sunny and met them there. With both kids and three dogs, there just isn't enough room in one truck. We took both trucks to the CG and it actually worked out well for KD.

KD sliced the skin in an upside-down V shape and had a deep muscle tear. The vet ended up having to insert a drain, into where the muscle was torn. KD is still groggy from the procedure and came home with three different medicines. She's in rough shape right now, but is expected to make a full recovery. Kitty will have to watch her like a hawk, for the next two weeks. KD is not to be outside without being on a leash, to give the leg a chance to heal. She is also in a lot of pain, but is on tramadol for it.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear this. Things happen way to fast some times. Best wishes to a speedy KD recovery.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Just an update on KD. She is doing really well, she is now able to pretty much get up, down and walk around basically normal. Yesterday she even laid on the injured side. She has been very good about leaving the sutures & drain alone. Luckily (? ) I am off work for the rest of the year, so home to keep an eye on her. Thursday evening, we will take her back to the "Emergency Animal Hospital" and have the drain removed. The sutures have to be in for 21 days, which I think comes out to having them removed the morning we head to Buttonwood for the rally. I could take her to her regular vet to have the drain & then the sutures removed, but with what the emergency hospital cost us, I can't see paying her local vet even more $$$. Gary said I need to REALLY think about have "medical insurance" for her. But, it still amazes me with how well she deals with pain. The day this happened I was sitting in the truck and Philip was getting her to jump back into the truck, but he forgot to get along side the door and she cut the corner too short and the bottom edge/corner of the door just ripped her leg wide open as she was jumping in, but she caught the door instead and I saw her fall out of the truck SCREAMING and crying. I got out and around to her as fast as I could (I'm still in the clunky ortho boot), and all I saw was the huge gaping hole in her thigh. I just hugged her and used my hand to gently slide the large piece of torn skin back up into place, then got some clean white napkins to hold pressure on it. Gary was out of Lowes by now and he got her back into the truck and Deanna sat with KD, she held the compresses on the wound until we got to the emergency vet. My greyhound group leader called the emergency vet so they knew we were coming. "IF" KD could talk, she would really have some "battle scars to talk about". But, mom & her wallet could really do without anymore "scars".
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vet insurance is a good idea, if you need it. We've spent almost $5,000 in the past four months on our baby. She has a immune sytem problem, we almost lost her, and will be on Prednizone and pain killers forever. Glad your 'baby' is going to heal OK.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

SUN #96
rebellious78
So sorry to hear about KD! I have a feeling she will heal fast. It really worries you when something happens to one of your fur-kids. If you guys need anything, we are just a phone call away.

David & Mary Ann
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7L Powerstroke
2006 Sunline Solaris T-264-SR
2012 Palomino Bronco B1500LB
rebellious78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #6

SUN #246
Janalee
Kitty..I read with interest the item about KD--how we do love our fur-kids! Three weeks ago, my cat Mittzi started howling in pain around suppertime on a Friday eveniing.Refused to let us near her---but would stop for awhile and then begin again. Finally went to sleep and in the AM seemed fine..but..I took her to the vet for a quick check over. He took an Xray that showed a very badly inflamed and swollen colon..However, she got so upset at the vet (took 4 techs to hold her down for the Xray!) that when I got home and opened her carrier, she flopped out completely lifeless! She had been in shock and stopped breathing! I gave her CPR and John broke speed limits getting us back to the vet..dr. said her heart was stopped and fortunately got her breathing again. Blood tests showed her blood sugar to be extremely elevated causing the shock. He said the CPR saved her. She was still unconcious when we finally left her for an overnight on IVs and in an oxygen cage. They said something had poisoned her. I moved our van the next day and found it was leaking tranny fluid and figure she had gotten it on her feet and ingested it cleaning her paws. She is well now and back to normal!! Lesson learned--don't be afraid to give your pet CPR--they CAN be saved!
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
WOW Jenalee, that sounds scary as he !!!! Glad your kitty is doing better. We just never know what they can get themselves into no matter how hard we try to care for them and be alert.

I forgot to mention that after KD tore her leg on the door and fell out backwards, she got up and DID jump into the truck. I had to get her out of the truck so I could try to find the damage.

What we don't do for our fur-kids. Guess their job is to keep us on alert.

Kitty

Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
OUCH. Sorry to hear about KD's injury. Hopefully she will make a speedy recovery.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Thank you all for the kind words. KD will be at the rally and she would love to have hugs & treats. She is really gonna be spoiled after this incident.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Thumbs down

Another update on KD. Went back to have the drain in her thigh removed and was told that the surgical site needed to be repaired. The emergency hospital said they could do the procedure or I could have my regular vet do it, but it needed to be done within a day to close the gap over the muscle up.

With greyhounds having very thin skin, the area where the drain was attached had very thin skin and basically tore and created a hole about the size of a quarter. So now my poor baby is at my vet this time, having this repaired.

I am waiting to hear about her, so trying to keep myself busy. It's not good for greyhounds to have much anesthesia.

OH, yeah while I was at the vets, one of the technicians came in and asked me if I have a big blue truck, I said yes big blue ford, her comment "well, someone just backed into it". JUST GREAT So, I go out, there is an elderly woman in the lobby, asked if it was my truck, and started to apologize. Went out to truck, thankfully all she had done was break my Sunline license plate frame, the clear plastic tag cover, and mildly bend the "custom order" Sunline tag that Gary had made for me. So, that is all pretty easy to deal with.

OK, now enuff is enuff, I think I need to just dis-appear for a while.

Well, got to scoot and get ready to head to hospital for therapy on my ankle, goody goody time to put the clunky ortho boot back on .

Kitty

Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
KD update time, AGAIN ! Picked my baby girl up AGAIN this afternoon around 4:30pm. The one worker was nice and picked KD up and put her in the truck for me since I'm still in "The Boot". She now has what looks like an upside down "T" on her thigh, and the skin is pulled pretty tight. There is no drain this time, but the original drain hole is still there. I have antibiotics & pain meds for her.

Gary got home shortly after we did and he took KD out in the yard for a short potty walk, the anesthesia messes her up. I gave her pain pills, and she has been napping on her dog bed. She has not wanted to eat, but I did get her to eat a few pieces of soft pizza crust that I had for dinner (my first meal of the day).

She will be watched like crazy until this thing really heals. She is NOT allowed to run at all, and she should mo be jumping, and that is tricky with her as she never uses the house steps, she just "leaps" up. SO, lotta watching going on round here.

OK, my ankle hurts from therapy, gonna get KD settled in bedroom for the night and call it a night myself.

Night,
Kitty
Old 06-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #12

SUN #96
rebellious78
How is she doing now? I hope she is up and running around again.

David & Mary Ann
Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious78 View Post
How is she doing now? I hope she is up and running around again.

She wouldn't leave the stitches alone, even with the E-collar on. The second vet had stitched her up too tightly and they pulled quite quickly. I removed what was left of the stitches yesterday. She'll have a bare spot on her thigh, but it's starting to heal up.

Trying to keep her calm, was a nightmare!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #14

SUN #96
rebellious78
That is good news. I bet she will be running around before you know it.

Dave

David & Mary Ann