Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #21

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
A question I have now is how are the microwaves fastened down so they don't fly out the windows when I hang a corner real fast? Plumbers strapping? Velcro? I have to install one since one had never been installed.
Jim, in our trailer, the microwave is factory installed in a compartment right above the stove. It is a RV microwave and has two "wings" on top and bottom of the front panel that are screwed into the cabinet framing in quite a few places. That is pretty much the only difference between conventional and RV models. Here's the pic:

I would expect an RV microwave to be double the price of a conventional one (or more.) If it was me, I'd get creative with some kind of strapping or "L" brackets and use the conventional one.

Is there a 110vac electric outlet in the cabinet where you want the microwave? And is there a circuit breaker for it? Not insurmountable if they're not there, but good to know up front.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #22

SUN #1760
frodothree is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim,

I have a 1985 Sunline 2263, which I think is the correct model number for yours. I bought it three years ago for the purpose of spending winters in North Carolina renovating a "fixerupper" house before moving here full time. This is my third winter living in it and find it well built and with a "livable" layout. That small bathroom will eventually wear on you tho.

The previous owner retained most trailer manuals so if you ever need info on this TT just post and I'll look things up if available. Most of the things I have had issues with were beyond the manuals scope so I found this forum a good source of experienced help.

For all: Here is a list of the manuals I have in the TT.

RV Owners operation & maintenance Manual (RVO-1)
Parts schematic and operations for Dometic refrigerator
Installation and operating instructions for Ametek water filter
Utopia water faucet manual
Owners operating guide for power converter(3215,3220,3230,3240)
Hydro-flame installation/operating instructions (fa-79 & fa-80 F series furnace)
Coleman A/C installation and mantenance manual (with witing diagrams)
Sureflo model 200 water pump installation manual
Dexter electric brake maintenance manual
Wedgewood range installation & mantenance manual
Atwood water heater installation and operation manual
Braund TV antenna installation instructions (have manual but no tv - go figure)
Aqua magic toilet oners manual

Some of these manuals are helpful but I still have to ask more experienced users about some of the how-to when things go wrong. Oh yes! The 129 volt curcuit breakers and 12 volt fuses are under the bed. 12 volt fuses inside the power converter. How did I know that??? Hunted for days then ask on this forum. Good luck with your "new" Sunline.

Clark

Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #23

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Clark, The 2363 is the right number. Maybe they changed them by year of production or something. ..... I lived in Charlotte NC for a long time. Went to school in Crossnore, close to Ashville. Like the hill country for sure...... Thanks for the manual information. It is on file in this itty-bitty brain of mine.

Steve, I checked and the hole for teh microwave is there with the outlet already wired. They did install a half shelf that I'll have to remove if I can find that ssquare point driver so it is easier (I know a philips will do). The microwave we have to use is a throw away by someone buying a new, bigger and more powerful one. I did notice the metal on your in the picture when looking through the albums. I might fine something to make my own and cover the top with a grille of some sort to allow air flow.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #24

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodothree View Post
I have a 1985 Sunline 2263, which I think is the correct model number for yours.
No Clark, his is a true 2363. In the '80s, Sunline had identical models but in 22 and 24' lengths. The only difference beyond length is the addition of a small pantry cabinet on the side of the refrigerator cabinet right by the entry door. In 1989/1990 (1989 calendar year, 1990 model year), they combined the 22 and 24' models in to one 23'. They moved the pantry to the hallway outside the shower by doing that. It then remained the 2363 until the end in 2007, even though what originated with many front living room and rear bedroom options became just one standard floorplan with a rare option to sub in twin beds, but that was it.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #25

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Jim, in our trailer, the microwave is factory installed in a compartment right above the stove. It is a RV microwave and has two "wings" on top and bottom of the front panel that are screwed into the cabinet framing in quite a few places. That is pretty much the only difference between conventional and RV models.
Steve, that is correct, but the microwave itself really is nothing special. The microwave could be put on a counter in a kitchen. Certain microwaves have trim ring kits available for purchase and they just screw on to the outside frame of the microwave to allow for mounting in a cabinet. I can't imagine that every microwave has these kits available. They seem to be more and more available now though beyond the industry standard Goldstar or Dometic units.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #26

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Our kids have the Droid and Verizon service. It's possible to teather your Droid to a computer and surf that way.
Welcome to the club!
It is, I've done this before and it's a great feature. The phone can't do it on its own, but there's a program out there that you have to download to make it work. When I searched for that program, there are two options: one is free and more basic, and then one has pretty much unlimited access but costs money. The only difference that I see is that with the free version, you can't access https sites. My school e-mail, which the entire school e-mail system is hosted through Gmail, won't work because it's an https. Recently I found in the settings area that it's possible to not have it sign in using the https secure connection, but I don't tether that much so I haven't had a need to do that so far. Otherwise I've had no problems tethering and as long as the phone has a connection where the browser on there will work, the computer will have internet access. If anyone is interested in where to get the free download thing, just let me know and I'll look up what it's called.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #27

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
They did install a half shelf that I'll have to remove if I can find that square point driver so it is easier (I know a philips will do).
Jim, those square point drivers are readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, and most any hardware store. You may not find one with its own handle, but the bits to fit in standard 1/4' drive holders are there. They are also used on some styles of deck screws.

The size you want for TT's is a #2.

There is a matching "wing" along the top front edge of the microwave, too. They are both louvered for ventilation.

Jon, Dometic claims its microwaves are extra rugged for RV use. I have never quite known whether to believe that or not. We've had a number of discussions on this in the past, and those that have used regular microwaves don't seem to have any unusual problems with them. With microwaves going for $50 and less, I don't think I would buy an RV specific one again.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #28

SUN #1830
Jon, I sent email with my tt info in it. Hope it doesn't get lost, that is a lot of stuff, LOL!

Steve, I did find mine, I have two and found them both.

I think I'll make some wooden spacers to locate the microwave in relation to the opening. Then I'll try to tie it down with pipe strapping or angle bracket. If I make the spacers right the strap will only be for peace of mind, maybe.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #29

SUN #1830
I think, after due consideration, LOL!, that I'll just carry the laptop and learn to do some war-driving. probably easier, cheaper and good enough. I talked to a cop here and they use Verizon for the cop car computers. He said he drove from Sebring to Columbia, SC using the computer without being dropped. That is a good deal but I'm not a cop and my internet connection can wait until I stop somewhere. If I can't be online I might even learn how to talk to Wifey. Surely it can't be that bad, LOL!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #30

SUN #549
frank
You can pick up those RV microwave mounting kits on ebay pretty easily and affordably. I bought one for the project trailer, I think I paid $10 + a few to ship, brand new surplus in the box.

I mounted it up to a $30-40 microwave my brother picked up from wal-mart. Had to remove the microwave cover and drill 3 holes in that for the top bracket, then put the cover back on (simple, 6 screws). For the bottom bracket I had to do a little trimming of the bracket and drill some holes in the bracket to line up with existing screws on the bottom of the microwave. I think it took a half hour with a drill and a pair of tin snips.

If you want to get the factory look without breaking the bank, this will do it for you.

- Frank
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #31

SUN #1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
If you want to get the factory look without breaking the bank, this will do it for you.

- Frank

Thanks Frank. I'll check into that in a few minutes. Since the cabinet has a raised lip at the front edge the microwave will need to be raised above the cabinet shelf height to clear that lip. Did the kit have parts to support the microwave inside the cabinet or do I still have to make something for that?

Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #32

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
Thanks Frank. I'll check into that in a few minutes. Since the cabinet has a raised lip at the front edge the microwave will need to be raised above the cabinet shelf height to clear that lip. Did the kit have parts to support the microwave inside the cabinet or do I still have to make something for that?

Jim
On the set I bought, the bottom bracket is about 1" tall, so I had no issues clearing my raised lip on the test fit. The feet on the microwave we used were about 3/8" tall, so that was plenty of height to clear the lip and the bracket was tall enough that it had plenty of overlap over the face frame. If the feet on your microwave are really short, you might need to slip something under them to clear the lip, but unless you have a really big lip to clear, I wouldn't think you'll have an issue.

- Frank
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #33

SUN #1760
Verizon offers a wireless adapter that fits into a USB port of your computer and connects to the Internet anywhere via the cell towers. Monthly charge with some limit on amount of data downloaded but if you want to be connected 24/7 this will do it for you.

Clark
Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #34

SUN #1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
No Clark, his is a true 2363. In the '80s, Sunline had identical models but in 22 and 24' lengths. The only difference beyond length is the addition of a small pantry cabinet on the side of the refrigerator cabinet right by the entry door. In 1989/1990 (1989 calendar year, 1990 model year), they combined the 22 and 24' models in to one 23'. They moved the pantry to the hallway outside the shower by doing that. It then remained the 2363 until the end in 2007, even though what originated with many front living room and rear bedroom options became just one standard floorplan with a rare option to sub in twin beds, but that was it.

Jon
I was looking at my 1985 Sunline sales manual which lists all available models (in 1985) and it does not list any 23xx models. What I get for thinking a sales manual doesn't change as the years go by......

Clark
Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #35

SUN #1830
Clark, I know the feeling,
Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #36

SUN #1830
Doing just a little at a time. Today was new weather stripping for doors and storage compartments. Can tell camper is tighter since I can't hear as much outside noise. Will surely be easier to heat now.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #37

SUN #1830
Forgot how big a tt can be when it has to be waxed.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #38

SUN #1830
I aded some pictures to the camper album. I tried to show the 'upgrades' done by the previous owner. Also reading past posts for new upgrades. So much reading, so little time.