Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
SUN #869
tony17112acst
Is It OK to be In/On a Retracted Slide?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at a Sunline where the owner said there was a problem with the floor separating in the slide, and I've been told by the owner that it was due to the fact that the previous own stepped onto the slide while it was retracted (fully in) ...and that with every RV, stepping onto or even sitting on the couch of a retracted slide will break it (or can break it).

I have never looked into a slide RV, so this is totally new to me and find it hard to believe. Can anyone verify this or offer some facts about this? Do the Manuals prohibit it?

Thanks!
-Tony
__________________

__________________
tony17112acst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Moderator
 
JohnB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,133
SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tony,

I sent you a PM on this not realizing you had posted.

What year camper and what model are you looking at? The methods have changed over the years and some models are made different.

With the proper understanding of how the camper is built, and the precautions that can be taken with a rug board support under the center of the slide, it will not cause damage to the slide if stepped on when the slide is in. This is on a Sunline camper with a flush floor slide where the slide lifts off the floor by design when retracted.

Not every Sunline slide is made this way, some are not flush floor slides.

And no, unfortunately it does not say anything about this the manuals that I found. But I have not read every Sunline slide manual they made either. A number if us here sorted this out a few years back with the post I linked you too where some members did have damage with an unsupported center on their slide.

Let us help you with your quest for find the perfect Sunny for you.

John

PS, This is not Sunline specific issue, super slides which retract off the floor can have a similar issue pending the brand and way they are manufactured.
__________________

__________________
Current Sunlines: 2004 T310SR, 2004 T1950, 2004 T2475, 2007 T2499, 2004 T317SR
Prior Sunlines: 2004 T2499 - Fern Blue
2005 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.8L V10 W/ 4.10 rear axle, CC, Short Bed, SRW. Reese HP trunnion bar hitch W/ HP DC

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 721
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

John,

Do you happen to know based on your research if the 257SR had the "flush floor slide where the slide lifts off the floor by design when retracted.?"

Thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Tony,

I sent you a PM on this not realizing you had posted.

What year camper and what model are you looking at? The methods have changed over the years and some models are made different.

With the proper understanding of how the camper is built, and the precautions that can be taken with a rug board support under the center of the slide, it will not cause damage to the slide if stepped on when the slide is in. This is on a Sunline camper with a flush floor slide where the slide lifts off the floor by design when retracted.

Not every Sunline slide is made this way, some are not flush floor slides.

And no, unfortunately it does not say anything about this the manuals that I found. But I have not read every Sunline slide manual they made either. A number if us here sorted this out a few years back with the post I linked you too where some members did have damage with an unsupported center on their slide.

Let us help you with your quest for find the perfect Sunny for you.

John

PS, This is not Sunline specific issue, super slides which retract off the floor can have a similar issue pending the brand and way they are manufactured.
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
SUN #869
tony17112acst
John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the 195sr (2007): a T-1950 with a slide for the couch only. The slide's floor is flush with the main floor.
__________________
tony17112acst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 721
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Ok I am confused? Isn't this you posting on a thread in the Classified section here about a 2007 195sr for sale ? You seem to have rejected the 1950sr and offered other brands as an alternative. Have you now changed your mind??

Yes, it's a T-195SR. A regular T-1950 is about 3800 pounds but this model is a whopping 4800 pounds; a 1000 pounds heavier for that small sofa slide! Also, the tongue weight is off the charts at over 700 lbs. The 195sr is slightly longer at 22'11" - almost 23 ft.

My wife and I were going to buy the one in at Stoltzfus' 3 years ago, but we found that at 4800 lbs, we could get a LOT more space at that weight. So before you go crazy because only 22 were built, carefully consider other trailers which can have walk-around beds with slides ...and are lighter. I can post a few if anyone is interested. OK, here are 2: KZ Vision V23RLS and the Coachmen Freedom Express 247RKS - both with walk-around beds, same weight, same length (one of them has 2 sofas!).



Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the 195sr (2007): a T-1950 with a slide for the couch only. The slide's floor is flush with the main floor.
__________________

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 56
SUN #869
tony17112acst
You may be misunderstanding my post. the post was in response to people desiring a walk-around bed (and more space), so I just offered 2 other models that have walk-around beds that are the same weight. I don't reject the 195sr personally; my wife and I don't need the walk-around bed. I think Sunlines are higher quality overall.


I hope that clears it up for you; if you need for me to explain myself in more detail, just let me know. But I think a Private Message would be better, I don't think personal challenges are helpful in public postings.
__________________
tony17112acst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mellow Yellow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vermont
Posts: 803
SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Confused. We often use the dinette and small couch on the 2001 Solaris 250 SR when it is retracted (in). Is this OK? If the weather is icky and we're not staying long, we won't even put the slide out sometimes.
__________________
Tom and Debbie
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 HD w/Hemi (The Poppie Mobile)
1972 Chevy K10 Custom 4 x4 - (Mellow Yellow) Orig. owners !
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
apackoftwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 721
SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh I am sorry it wasn't meant as a challenge. I was just surprised since you had an opportunity to purchase one but decided against. I don't blame you for reconsidering. The 195rs is a beautiful trailer and it's very difficult to find a smaller quality trailer with a slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17112acst View Post
You may be misunderstanding my post. the post was in response to people desiring a walk-around bed (and more space), so I just offered 2 other models that have walk-around beds that are the same weight. I don't reject the 195sr personally; my wife and I don't need the walk-around bed. I think Sunlines are higher quality overall.


I hope that clears it up for you; if you need for me to explain myself in more detail, just let me know. But I think a Private Message would be better, I don't think personal challenges are helpful in public postings.
__________________

__________________
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1984 Sunline Slide in Truck Camper hogorlando Sunline Truck Campers 18 03-08-2016 10:10 PM
Slide vs. No Slide sewfancy Sunline Community 25 05-01-2015 10:39 AM
Treating Top Slide Seals when you have a Slide Topper PTHutch Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers 4 04-29-2009 06:12 PM
slide room RootyC Sunline Slide Room Travel Trailers 1 06-16-2007 07:10 AM
Need Slide room info having problem RootyC Modifications 2 03-30-2007 01:10 PM


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sunline RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 AM.


×