Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #1

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Important Lessons Learned

Ok, so we survived our first ever RV trip, no problems with the roads being clear, no weather stories. We are sitting nice & quiet at Half Shells RV Resort & Marina in Satsuma, Fl. We are so good... that we learned all these lessons on one trip:

- make sure all trailer doors are locked properly, otherwise one might open en route (it did)
- be sure to know the height of your trailer (incl AC), in case you get a low archway. We did know ours and had to quickly back out ... against 3 lanes of supper-time traffic.
- make sure to put the precise address into your (new to us) GPS, otherwise it might lead you astray (it did).
- try not to arrive with lots of snow still on the trailer roof, the locals might not recognize it.
- make sure to remove your anti-sway bars before trying to back into a tight spot.
- be sure to place chocks (sp?) behind back tires so that the trailer won't roll backwards when lifting off the hitch (ours did, thank goodness for blocks).
- be sure to remember 2x6 wood for under jacks and behind wheels, otherwise you have to borrow from your neighbours (we did).
- be sure to turn on propane before expecting furnace to work.
- be sure to go out for supper while furnace is warming up (?) the trailer.
- do not forget your warmest blankets at home, and expect to stay warm (also bring a little electric heater, so you don't use up your propane).
- do not forget your new NOAA radio at home, and expect to hear the updated weather broadcasts.
- DO NOT EXPECT FLORIDA TO BE WARM when you arrive!!

Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Lessons learned are priceless!

Glad you made it to FL safely!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Good for you! At least there were no disasters I have one more for you that we have trouble with...
When backing into a site remember to make sure there is nothing blocking your ability to open your awning. (& slide in your case)
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #4

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Thanks - that is one thing I did remember to remember, make sure there is room for the slide & awning, and watch out for trees. Like you said, we are here now - safe & sound, and will stay in this little park for about a month or so.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #5

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
- be sure to place chocks (sp?) behind back tires so that the trailer won't roll backwards when lifting off the hitch (ours did, thank goodness for blocks).
- be sure to remember 2x6 wood for under jacks and behind wheels, otherwise you have to borrow from your neighbours (we did).
That's why we love our Lynx Levelers, light weight, easy to store, stack securely (think big boy legos) and can be used to level/stabilize just about any situation. Believe it or not, we carry 4 sets of blocks (40), a set (4) of the caps, and two of the chocks. All of which takes up a very small portion of our front compartment.

http://www.lynxlevelers.com/

PS: Unfortunately, I have been to campsites (yes, commercial) where I have used all of them!!!

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #6

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Tote

Because we have relatively small tanks, 20 gallons each, we use a tote to drain the gray water tank when it fills up. Our coach is a low rider, and we have been on camp sites with enough slant to make it difficult to get the tote under the tank drain outlet.
Good idea to keep this in mind when parking the coach and use adequate spacers to lift the left side, even if this means needing even more spacers for the wheels on the right side.
Happy camping!
Roar
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
thanks for the link, Mack. I have seen them so will try to hunt them down next time I am out shopping.

Alice
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #8

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alice:

Walmart's usually have the 10 block sets, and occasionally you'll catch one that will have the chocks, but I have only seen the caps at RV supply houses. The caps are great for under the stabilizer jacks as they give you a flat surface for the jack to sit on. If you get the caps, two of them will fit in the bag the blocks come in, so you can store them easily.

They are a little expensive, but they're so convenient to use and store. They are also very durable, we've been using our's for four seasons now and have never had an issue with one breaking.

I am also thinking of trying out the seven wire plug holder.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #9

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
Thanks Mack! I will add the "legos" to our WalMart list. Ron's brother has a 5th-wheel and I had forgotten that is what he uses. Thank goodness for his brother, he lent us a whole bunch of stuff since they are not travelling this winter.

Ok - the sun is shining and I am going outside to enjoy it! It is warmer outside than it is inside, we even have the screen doors open to allow the sun to shine in more.