Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

SUN #3142
crazyheart is an unknown quantity at this point
I’ve purchased a sunline truck camper

I’ve developed a leaking roof. I want to reseal the roof . Would access hatches work for drying inside walls
1. How do I reseal easily
2. What should I use reseal roof window and vent ways

3. Has anyone else used access Hatches for boats.
4. These are not entry or exit hatches. They are used to
Get access behind the interior wall the can be round
Or rectangular.

Thank You. ( in advance) Mathew Walker
Last thing I forgot to mention this camper fits in a step
Side ranger. Is this rare I’ve only seen one or two for
almost none have three to four sleeping capacity.... three is tight ..... four could be accomplished by using floor or tightly in dinete which is best for one. As I’m thinking of selling this what is it worth?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyheart View Post
I’ve developed a leaking roof. I want to reseal the roof . Would access hatches work for drying inside walls
1. How do I reseal easily
2. What should I use reseal roof window and vent ways

3. Has anyone else used access Hatches for boats.
4. These are not entry or exit hatches. They are used to
Get access behind the interior wall the can be round
Or rectangular.

Thank You. ( in advance) Mathew Walker
Last thing I forgot to mention this camper fits in a step
Side ranger. Is this rare I’ve only seen one or two for
almost none have three to four sleeping capacity.... three is tight ..... four could be accomplished by using floor or tightly in dinete which is best for one. As I’m thinking of selling this what is it worth?
Welcome Mathew!

1) Not sure what you're asking, but for short term prevention for a compromised seam, tarp the entire camper.

2) You need to use a roof sealant designed for aluminum roofs on everything around the roof. I recommend Dyco 20/20. You can buy it online or possibly at a local RV dealer. You brush it on with a paint brush over the seams where sealant is present now, not over the whole roof. However, this is wasted effort if there's already water damage present.

Windows and anything on the sidewalls should not use this sealer. If you have a leak present from a window, you need to unscrew the window, remove it from the camper, and reinstall it with new butyl tape. You can buy that from an RV dealer or online as well. Clean the surfaces really well before reinstalling. If you are just doing prevention sealing, you can cover the tops and sides of the window frames with Dicor 551 non-leveling sealant. It goes on like silicone but is designed to flex with the camper's movement, whereas silicone would have the seal break with flex.

3/4) No, can't say I have. RV compartment doors and access panels are fairly cheap and easy to come by. Are you talking about the exterior access panels on the sidewalls?

If you have a C-700 or C-750 camper, yes, they are somewhat rare, but most Sunline truck campers are now even though they built a lot of them. I think a lot still exist in back yards and they just haven't been sold. The mini campers are definitely more uncommon, but I wouldn't say that would translate to valuable either. Without seeing pictures or knowing condition, I see them listed for $300-$1500 on average.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

SUN #3142
Thank you

So what is the suggestion for a water stained roof interior.... it’s showing stains at the corner of exit hatch and other smaller hatch..... should I peel aluminum roof and dry and possibly repair wood ? I believe wood is strong as I live in New England and holds up to snow weight of snow... is this going overboard... there is no sagging of roof.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyheart View Post
So what is the suggestion for a water stained roof interior.... it’s showing stains at the corner of exit hatch and other smaller hatch..... should I peel aluminum roof and dry and possibly repair wood ? I believe wood is strong as I live in New England and holds up to snow weight of snow... is this going overboard... there is no sagging of roof.
Personally that's what I'd recommend, if you have the time and confidence to tackle such a job. You can check around the camper with a moisture meter (available from Home Depot, about $40), that will tell you if there's any wet and rotting wood in the walls or ceiling. But these older Sunlines have a tendency to dry out when they leak compared to the newer ones, so you have more dry rot than wet rot. I have one waiting in my yard for a tear down to see how these water infections go.

Usually it seems like the metal holds the shape pretty well, so you don't notice major sagging until the wood frame has completely disintegrated.

Once you make the repairs and tighten everything down again, then you can seal the roof with the sealant.

For the interior panel, you can either replace the panel with a new one (this would require disassembling quite a bit of the camper), or you can paint over it as long as it isn't too rotted on the back side. My '79 has two spots where the water collected so bad, the wood rotted out behind the vinyl wallpaper and you can literally push your finger through.

Here are a few pictures that show the framing structure of a truck camper: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...tion-9393.html
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

SUN #3142
Thank You.