Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I Can't Believe I did That!

but you probably can.....I was taking my rig to be stored and getting ready and I was talking on the phone and I forgot that it was still plugged in to the outlet in my garage and yup I drove off!!!!!!!

Didn't realize it until some folks on the highway waved me....so I was dragging the cord down the highway.....Yup sure did.....The pongs are pretty well flat but there is also some damage to the rubber cover of the cord sooooo I suppose I have to have it replaced?

I think the head with the pongs can be replaced but if there is some damage to the rubber part of the cord it's not something you can just tape I imagine, especially if you want to sell it?

Any ways I am almost afraid to inquire how much $$$ it will cost to replace the whole cord Or even if anyone would know because I doubt if its ever happened to anyone here

Oh and I tore off half of the plastic wheel fender-type thing however I found it in my yard when I returned and the electrical socket in my garage was still intact

Here is YouTube video of the damage to the cord and rig

Big *sigh*

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Joan

Things happen and I'm sure at least this one "thing" you will not do again. We all have "things" happen to us too. In my case it was the dent in the side of the T310 the day I was bringing it home. ERRRR.....

Now to the repair, here are some options.

The RV plug that was ground up, that is not a big deal. In fact I upgraded mine as the OEM ones are really hard to pull out of the shore line box some times. Camco makes what they call a Power grip plug See here for one place Amazon.com: Camco 55245 RV 30 Amp PowerGrip Replacement Plug: Automotive

Replacement Electric Cord Ends/ Plugs for your RV

The Power grip plug is really nice to use to plug and unplug with and not fear you are going to get your fingers where they should not be. The only down side I have found is the handle is a little large to not let the standard campground shore line box close all the way. Still works fine though. You can shop around and my find it maybe cheaper then the 1st place I found one for you. I bought mine on line somewhere a while ago. They are cheaper then they use to be.

Or you can buy an entire new cord set for $34 like is there now. Sigma Power Cord - Male/Stripped

That takes care of everything back to original.

The skinned wires is a concern and I cannot tell from your video if the power conductors are skinned. In the summer months where the AC is running you can use full current and if any of the copper strands are missing in your shore line cord that can be an issue. You mentioned taping it, again not being able to see what it is that will be taped I can't tell you if that is a good thing or not to do. The shore line cord lays on the ground in the wet and it needs to be a water tight cord.

Or if you like the Power grip feature, for $45 with can buy a 30 amp , 25 foot extension cord with the plug molded onto it and cut off the female end and have someone tie it into your converter. This gives you a new cord and new upgraded plug.
Camco RV 25' 30 Amp Extension Cord

Since the shore line cord was yanked, if you have a friend who is electrically friendly have them check the power converter that nothing was disturbed there. And if he or she is checking they can put the new cord on for you. Sunline has on both of my campers put a cable eyelet to pin the cable to the camper in the event the cord was ever yanked it would not pull on the converter. I would expect your camper to have that same feature. But still a check at the converter would be prudent.

Your bigger issue is the fender skirt... The type in your video looks like the same type that is on my camper. I myself have not yet found a replacement for that style, but I now have a possible maybe place to start.

Frank and Trailblazer here on SOC have been to these folks Bontragers Surplus Inc.

If you can take a picture of your style, measure it they may have one. If they have it, that will be the cheapest option I think.

These folks may have some things close. I have bought from these folks and a good company.

RV Exterior Parts - Fender Skirts - Tandem Fender Skirts - IconDirect

Or these guys, never bought from them.
Fender Skirts - Tandem Axle Plastic

This is a new find and actually found a 99 to 02 Sunline skirt.... They may have the ability to create one. They have so many I do not know how they back into them.
RV Parts - Sierra Engineering Co., Inc - Product List

At the moment we do not have a good source for fender skirts that I know of. I know Sunline Fan has been working on trying to track down who Sunline bought a lot of these items from and do not know if he made it to the fender skirts. I myself will need some in the near future as I have cracks starting that I keep caulking up.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #3

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Wow great advice and sources, thank you so much!

I found the other half of the fender skirt in my driveway. The plug must have hit it when it came free. I think I can fix that, re-screwing it in and using some really good caulk I use, LEXEL

I have to go back to get the battery so I can put a battery tender on it and the mattress I am having cleaned so I will be able to take some better pictures however I didn't see any exposed copper but it sounds like the best thing to do is to replace it just to be safe.

I am storing it in my friend's pole barn and her neighborhood who backed it in for me used to own a Sunline and is a real handy man type guy. I am going to see if he could replace and repair it for me, if he thinks he can.

I really like the replace plug with the handle

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi Joan

Things happen and I'm sure at least this one "thing" you will not do again. We all have "things" happen to us too. In my case it was the dent in the side of the T310 the day I was bringing it home. ERRRR.....

Now to the repair, here are some options.

The RV plug that was ground up, that is not a big deal. In fact I upgraded mine as the OEM ones are really hard to pull out of the shore line box some times. Camco makes what they call a Power grip plug See here for one place Amazon.com: Camco 55245 RV 30 Amp PowerGrip Replacement Plug: Automotive

Replacement Electric Cord Ends/ Plugs for your RV

The Power grip plug is really nice to use to plug and unplug with and not fear you are going to get your fingers where they should not be. The only down side I have found is the handle is a little large to not let the standard campground shore line box close all the way. Still works fine though. You can shop around and my find it maybe cheaper then the 1st place I found one for you. I bought mine on line somewhere a while ago. They are cheaper then they use to be.

Or you can buy an entire new cord set for $34 like is there now. Sigma Power Cord - Male/Stripped

That takes care of everything back to original.

The skinned wires is a concern and I cannot tell from your video if the power conductors are skinned. In the summer months where the AC is running you can use full current and if any of the copper strands are missing in your shore line cord that can be an issue. You mentioned taping it, again not being able to see what it is that will be taped I can't tell you if that is a good thing or not to do. The shore line cord lays on the ground in the wet and it needs to be a water tight cord.

Or if you like the Power grip feature, for $45 with can buy a 30 amp , 25 foot extension cord with the plug molded onto it and cut off the female end and have someone tie it into your converter. This gives you a new cord and new upgraded plug.
Camco RV 25' 30 Amp Extension Cord

Since the shore line cord was yanked, if you have a friend who is electrically friendly have them check the power converter that nothing was disturbed there. And if he or she is checking they can put the new cord on for you. Sunline has on both of my campers put a cable eyelet to pin the cable to the camper in the event the cord was ever yanked it would not pull on the converter. I would expect your camper to have that same feature. But still a check at the converter would be prudent.

Your bigger issue is the fender skirt... The type in your video looks like the same type that is on my camper. I myself have not yet found a replacement for that style, but I now have a possible maybe place to start.

Frank and Trailblazer here on SOC have been to these folks Bontragers Surplus Inc.

If you can take a picture of your style, measure it they may have one. If they have it, that will be the cheapest option I think.

These folks may have some things close. I have bought from these folks and a good company.

RV Exterior Parts - Fender Skirts - Tandem Fender Skirts - IconDirect

Or these guys, never bought from them.
Fender Skirts - Tandem Axle Plastic

This is a new find and actually found a 99 to 02 Sunline skirt.... They may have the ability to create one. They have so many I do not know how they back into them.
RV Parts - Sierra Engineering Co., Inc - Product List

At the moment we do not have a good source for fender skirts that I know of. I know Sunline Fan has been working on trying to track down who Sunline bought a lot of these items from and do not know if he made it to the fender skirts. I myself will need some in the near future as I have cracks starting that I keep caulking up.

Hope this helps

John

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
$$$, accident, damage, electrical cord, youtube