Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
How often to you go camping?

I'm curious how often our members go camping. using a full year as a guideline I gather some are out about every weekend during the "normal" season and even beyond as weather permits. I also think there must be those who simply do not have the flexibility to go much at all.

As and added thought I wonder how many of your campouts are considered local events...as in say less that one hour away from home, and how many big trips involving say multiple hours travel to get to your destination? I know there are those who are the exception such as eman, but where do the rest of you fit into this use pattern. I'll say that for myself I rarely camp local, preferring my own back yard to most of the camping facilities I've seen here abouts. I am a big trip taker and that would be only as vacation time permits and can be scheduled. Sunny will sit home quitely much of the time.

So if you please...whats your camping time profile?

Thanks

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
"Normal" for mom and I was an avergae of 2 weekends a month, mostly local, but not always. And then there was always that 4 to 5 week trip out west. Then every thanksgiving we go to Pigeon Forge that we have done for the past 12 years.

Moms illness and Sunnys bent frame came firt this year. "WE" are hoping to do our local Labor day weekend camping trip.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #3

SUN #139
Al in PA
We don't get to go often enough to suit me, but we try to go at least one weekend per month April through October. On the three holiday weekends, we take advantage of the extra day and go a little further from home (2.5 - 3 hours). Otherwise, we normally take shorter trips (1 -1.5 hours) because I prefer to setup camp in the daylight. If our work schedules permit, we take a 4-5 day trip with my best friend from school and his wife: None of us can get away from our jobs for much longer than that.
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #4

SUN #128
Tweety
We aren't huge fans of the 2 night close to home weekend thing, so try to do extended weekends (3-4 nights) about 5 or 6 times during the season. This allows us to go a little farther from home. If we do go locally it's to meet our friends from Maryland half way, in the Lancaster area. In that case, they are the attraction, not the campground. This year we're taking a week to do Shenandoah in late Sept. Then 2 weeks over Christmas to go to South Carolina. I'd just really really like to WANT to be done camping at the end of a trip sometime - so far that hasn't happened though. I'm also excited because Tweety got a new parking space up by the house, so that now if we get the camping bug in the winter she isn't stuck waaay back in the far back of the back yard
Tweety's new pad...looks like we'll be able to get her out this winter!!!
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #5

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
With the kids in school (daughter starting 7th grade and son starting 3rd this year) we usually start the camping season on Memorial day. Usually Labor day is the last planned outing. I don't close the TT up for winter until November in case we get a chance to go after that. I always liked going up the Lake Placid the last week of September. We take at least a week vacation in July or August. This year we went to Maine for two weeks. Through the summer we get out once or twice a month.

We've stayed close to home once. We didn't like it. A normal weekend out is a couple of hours away. Lake Placid is a 4 day weekend. It takes about 7 hours to get there.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Pam & Steve,

Tweetys' pad looks great. Now, I wanna know "when" Pam will be backing Tweety in there Pam, you can do it, go for it

Kitty
Old 08-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Camp schedule

We traveled 9 months during the last 12 months. We're obviously retired and usually travel from October to May and evry other year for an extended period in the summer.

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV
Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
The first time Steve backed her onto the pad it wasn't pretty! This was how well it went... The big pine tree was threatened to be chopped down, since it scratched up the side of the truck. That tree was a Christmas tree that our middle child INSISTED we plant in the frozen ground, so it's kinda sentimental. It got a major trim on the bottom and now looks like a flying pine tree - but the truck can back under it The gutter on the side of the house almost had a collission with the awning. The whole thing made me wonder how on earth you get your Sunny into his RV port Kitty!!! Hopefully next time will go a little more smooly. Don't know when / if I'll try it. Our street is pretty busy, so we have to hustle her off the street.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
Pam,

I am fortunate that even though I am backup UP hill to the RVport, I am backig/turning towards my left, which is just like backing in a campground. So, once I knew where Sunny had to be on the left, I knew I was clear on the right. But, I don't always get him in on the first try

Kitty
Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #10

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer the original question...not enough!

Pam, that's a nice pad. Even better is you can paint the frame and not worry about drips!

I've been parking on a concrete pad for a while, but I have about the longest trailer that can go there. In fact, if the axles were any farther back, I probably couldn't get it back there.

However, I've got it inside for the winter now. Of course, I had pouring rain going up, so I had to pull it out again to wash it and dry the awning.

I still have room to walk around in the back and there's plenty of room up front.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #11

SUN #408
partimcmpr
As my nick name implies, most or our trips fit into the weekend. We take as many Fridays and Mondays off as possible. We also work in one or two week long events, often around the summer holidays. We start camping in early Spring and don't quit until Winter starts to set in. Earlier this year we went in February and had a trip scheduled in December last year but had to cancel at the last minute. We actually slow down a bit during the hottest part of the summer, but still average about every 2nd or 3rd weekend.

Since we camp on weekends, most of our trips are not long, though usually over an hour, probably between 2 and 3 hours on average.

As most have said, we do not get to go often enough!

Later,
ParTimCmpr
2006 Sunline T2553 Classic
https://dbmcbride.com/stttv.gif
partimcmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #12

SUN #307
purplesuebug
Sue & I reserve at least one 4 day weekend and month from April thru October, with October being a 5-6 day dry dock in Bald Eagle State Forest. If weather permits, we will be heading for Assateague in November. After these past two weekend trips, we have sworn never to camp in July and August again. Walmart has less lights than our neighbors set up and that was in State Parks. Noise, Lights and Rudeness. We may as well stay home!!! We will just take longer trips in the spring and fall.
purplesuebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #13

SUN #128
Tweety
Purplesuebug...We also particularly enjoy having a state park pretty much to ourselves. We experienced this last november at Claytor Lake in Virginia. It was almost creepy there were so few campers there! What a contrast with the CROWDS at Locust Lake in August! I think part of the problem in PA is that they limit the number of sites with pets, and then cluster them all together, so the pet area is always crowded. Have you ever been to French Creek in winter? and if so is the pet loop full? Assateague in Nov. sounds like an intriguing idea.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #14

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
All of our camping so far has been weekends. We took delivery 31 Oct 06 and did two weekends in Nov. before we totally winterized. You just got to love those heated tanks

We made 15 weekend trips starting in April through Nov. 07. The shortest trip was to the Capitol KOA in Millersville, MD. It's about 10 minutes away from home and makes for a great check out trip and for last minute get aways. Our longest trips were to Knoebel's Lake Glory in PA and a Jellystone in Lurray, Va.

So far in 08 we've been out five times starting in May. We've got both kids in Scouts so we were late starting. Shortest trip was Capitol KOA and the longest was some place called Buttonwood

In '09 we do have a week booked at Frontiertown Campground in Ocean City, MD. Yes, booked a year out, in fact they are booking for '10 We also have a five day weekend in May at Frontiertown and the Meet-n-Greet already on the schedule.

Most of the trips are in the 2-3 hour range. A couple went out 3-5 range.

Quote:
If weather permits, we will be heading for Assateague in November. After these past two weekend trips, we have sworn never to camp in July and August again.
I know you weren't at Assateague, but it is also a place to avoid in July/Aug. The noisy neighbors include green headed horse flies and mosquitos whose bite defies description. Let's put it this way. The bombers (horse flies) fly in squadrons with the fighters (mosquitoes) flying air cover. They will try to carry your camper away and they probably would if the ponies weren't helping hold it down! The ponies will try to get in your rig to get away from them.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #15

SUN #139
Al in PA
Purplesuebug & Tweety:

You're right about the crowds in the state parks, especially in the pet sections. Between more people wanting to camp with pets and more people camping in state parks to save money, it's quite crowded. We've stayed at Caledonia State Park twice this season (50+ pet sites) and they have been filled to capacity both times. Caledonia and Cowans Gap have a large number of pet sites, but you need reservations to be assured of getting one. Both are nice in the off-season.
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #16

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
To answer your question in a few word: Not Enough!!! We live in a tourist town and work locally, so you get to work during the summer months and winter months....not much in between. Another problem is - we can't get the camper out of storage much before the end of April (after the snow thaws and the ground hardens up) and it needs to be put back in by the middle of October....so our camping season is quite limited! Some day when we really retire (we are retired but both of us still work) we will have a longer camping season and head away from the snow during the winter.

We have camped at least one weekend a month since May and in August we did a very long weekend (Thursday thru Monday) and have another long weekend coming up this weekend......in September I believe we have two weekends planned - one being the Adirondack Meet & Greet.....we may try to get away in October before the camper is put away!

Oh our trips vary in distance from 5 minutes (Nick's Lake SP) to 4 hours away.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #17

SUN #385
Hematite
Well, the Sunline and camping is new to us so we're going slowly. Unfortunately, the bent header put a stop to things, temporarily. Now that I got the Sunline back, today, I'm hoping to make up for lost time. I would definitley like to spend 2 weeks on Cape Cod in September at North Truro. A few more weekends, in addition, would be nice.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #395
HappyCampers is an unknown quantity at this point
We use our rig quite a bit. We've proably spent over 50 nights in it this season. We start in April and go untill it starts getting really, really cold at night, usually about Thanksgiving time. The F-304SR has a heated underbelly and heated tanks and extra insulation to make her an extended season unit. We take advantage of that. Most of our outings are closer to home. Our favorite destination is about 20 minutes from home. We also take 2 week long journeys a year. Last month we went to Sea Isle City in NJ for 9 days, and we are tentatively planning a trip to Williamsburg sometime in late October.
Lowell
2003 F-304SR (Last Sunline "The Big One")
1985 T-1650 (Current Sunline)
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 HO Cummins
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #19

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
We camp all year round with a few exceptions. Most are weekends or extended weekends. A Friday or Monday off pending work schedule and Cindy grand kid sitting schedules. The camping schedule is every other weekend and even that is not enough…. Work get’s in the way sometimes and this year is especially bad.

We do at least 2 week long vacation trips and a few out of state long weekend camping with some of our other RV’ing friends.

The exceptions come in the winter time.

First there has to be no snow to tow in and no forecast of a snow storm.
Second during the day the temps need to at least get above freezing. 40 is A OK. A Night freeze is not a problem.
Third, there is no heavy rains all day/night in the forecast.
Fourth, the above 3 need to end up on a weekend.

If we get a sunny day in there, it is icing on the cake. Winter camping is great. No bugs, no crowds, it’s quit and most times an entire State Park to yourself or to share with 2 or 3 other die hard campers.

To get the 4 combinations above to line can be a challenge at times. At least here in Central Ohio. November can be 2 campouts a month. December is generally only 1. January when fortunate is 1 or 2. Seems February is just plain rotten and we can have a 6 weeks stretch and in severe camping with drawl.

The grand kids come some times and they sleep in the camper. Their parents rough it outside in the tent… Yet Grandpa does all the cooking…

We are primarily on the State Park camping circuit. We are tree camping people. Meaning campsites with tress, not in them… .but do some private campgrounds with other camper friends.

As far as distance, the weekend ones range from 15 miles to 80 miles one way. I have no problem at all pulling into a park I know at night. We have a backing in the dark system that works well. For a new park, this needs to be daylight or I scoped out the park during the day light hours before hand.

Towing miles ranges between 4 to 6K per year. Most all camping is done in and the states surrounding Ohio. PA, IN, NY. Some day we will make it out west, with the camper and up into Canada.

We are at the stage in our lives, empty nesters, where we can do this much camping. And unfortunatly never realized the RV’ing style with DW until being an empty nester. Doing the tent scene was years and years worth in the Scouting program. But now I am only on call.

Not enough time for all the places we want to yet camp. Some day…

John and Cindy

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #20

SUN #671
Hvolt1
camping, how often?

We try go get out at least once a month,but for one month I host at a state park and leave the camper there and just camp on fri and sat night.We ususally drive about 1.5 hours to a site.We try to camp till the end of october because you have more choices at pet sites.