Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
How much wind is too much for towing safely

Ok Gang...The winds and torrencial rains are building up around here because of the huge tropical storm engulfing the eastern seaboard. I have a campsite reserved for tomorrow through Monday.

I'm thinking the hooking up in the pouring rain will be less than fun, but I am more concerned about the wind advisery thats posted for sustained 30-40mph wind and gusting higher to 50 or so.

My route is a good two lane state road...not interstate. What do you think about towing in this sort of weather? I'd appreciate a reply from a seasoned tower.

Thanks Everyone

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #2

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Bob.....

At this point, I'm well aware of what I'm risking if I choose to tempt fate too much. Even with the Hi-Lo's low profile, I wouldn't chance it. I suggest you consider the same.

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #3

SUN #973
DianeScraps
Send a message via Yahoo to DianeScraps
I've only been towing for a year, but I wouldn't do it.

1999 T2970 Sunline, Retired 2015

Current Camper is a 2016 Starcraft 28QBS
DianeScraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I suppose if I had to I would, but I'd certainly stay away from the highway and not go much more than 40 on the side roads. I too would not do it if I didn't have to.

Another thing you have to worry about because of where you're at is tree branches. Of course there's the rare chance one could come down on you, but my main concern is a branch bouncing up and down in the wind, it might be lower than it normally is at times and you could hit it. The same goes for power lines and traffic lights.

The good news is if you do choose to attempt it, you have the truck to support the trailer, so the trailer shouldn't try to move you around too much. There seems to be the unwritten rule that if the truck weighs more than the trailer, the trailer won't move you around as much.

You'd also have to worry that wind gusts wouldn't push you off the road in spots, and if the road is narrow, that could be tricky.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

SUN #128
Tweety
You don't say how far you'll be traveling...30 minutes or 2 hours or 6 hours. That would be a big factor to me.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
You're right I forgot to note that it is a 90 minute ride at 45-50 mph. The road is very good and well maintained so that thought gives me some comfort, I'm leaning towards a Saturday start as a better idea. But still thinking it over at this point.

Bob

Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob View Post

I'm thinking the hooking up in the pouring rain will be less than fun, but I am more concerned about the wind advisery thats posted for sustained 30-40mph wind and gusting higher to 50 or so.

My route is a good two lane state road...not interstate.
Hi Bob

Here are a few things to think about. Pro's and Con's

First off you have a good TV, a very good one. Sunline Fans statement about the truck being heavier then the camper and being a more stable setup being an unwritten rule is not really an unwritten rule it is a fact.

Next, Your TT has good tongue weight and you have a good anti-sway hitch.

Staying in the 45 to 50 MPH range verses 60 on the interstate is a factor. Less speed is less issues with sway.

Winds at 30 to 40 with gusts to 50mph can take the hitch technology you have now to it's limit. That high friction type of technology can only hold so much. The TV plays a role here too. You have a long wheel base on heavy suspension verses the length of your camper. While that is a plus there is a point where the hitch will not hold on dry pavement.

Truck tires pressures come into play holding the rig stable even on LT E range. If you have never run into the right situation the tires may squirm trying to hold the TT locked on the DC. And unlock it.

Now inject the wet mess, you are not on dry pavement that will de-rate the rig holding power by some amount as the truck is not glued to the road as well.

It would not shock me that even in your setup that 50mph gusts hitting you broad side on heavy water wet roads would break the DC loose and you feel it. It may not turn into a full blown sway event but you may have found the edge of your setup.

There are other people on the road and it is bad conditions for them too. If they have an issue it increases the odds you have to react and do some type of hard abrupt recovery move that can create you a bigger problem. sort of like driving in a snow storm. Others on the road can be more hazard then the storm.

You are also at home now, not out in some far away location.

The conditions you listed make me take notice and being at home is another big factor before you ever start. I myself knowing what I know even about my own rig I would think long and hard and eventually say, nope it's not worth it.

Every now and then we get caught once we are out and that is when your glad you have the rig you got as it could be real bad with a less effective rig. Then you have to deal with it. This time you have a choice that is easier to make.

Maybe wait out the day until the things get at least a little better, less wind or less rain or both.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #8

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
The forcast for my little piece of New England is not too good, this includes into southern New Hampshire.

Quote:
447 PM EDT THU SEP 30 2010
...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT FRIDAY...
A WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EDT FRIDAY.
SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL GUST BETWEEN 40 AND 50 MPH AT TIMES TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING. ISOLATED GUSTS TO 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE. A COLD FRONT AND DEPARTING REMNANTS OF NICOLE WILL CAUSE WINDS TO SHIFT TO THE NORTH AND DIMINISH BY LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
I have towed my rig, slowly, in winds and rain a little less than that but 40 to 50 would be pushing the limit and I have towed it for a few years. Today has been windy here but gusts were only 29mph.

I do recall one time I was on I495 when a torrential rain hit. I didn't feel bad slowing to 30 when I realized the 18 wheelers ahead were also going 30 and I backed off a little more to signal one to join the "parade". He thanked me with his lights.

Check the forcast again in the morning and good luck.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #9

SUN #128
Tweety
We're in PA, and assuming you will be getting our thursday weather on friday I would postpone leaving until saturday morning. 1 1/2 hours would be too long for me in that kind of wind and torrential rain.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #10

SUN #768
Today's conditions and forcast haven't improved any. That storm system is slowly moving West to East as it moves North. It looks a little more promising for later in the afternoon with the worst winds in the eastern part of New England. I don't know what part of NE you are going from/to Bob but right now the western section of NE is getting the worst of the wind and rain, no rain yet in eastern NE. Watching the trees outside at the moment (in RI) I would prefer to stay parked if I had a choice based on only 6 years towing, mostly RI to NH or Maine.

After 3 to 5 pm it looks like it will be much better.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #11

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Well in case anyone wondered what I decided to do, and how I made out let me explain.

First off, I live in Northeastern CT...Gene...we are nearly neighbours.

I was all hooked up Friday morning ahead of what was predicted to be some serious rain and wind. I kept checking that darn forecast and watching outside as to what was happening...I knew the route I had to travel to the CG was a very well maintained roadway without any of the country road issues such as trees likely to be blocking me and narrow passage concerns etc. So after much more delay which I perceived as just waiting for the storm to arrive I chose to get going....!

The trip was uneventful with never a gusting wind able to create a feeling of even minor caution and just a few very brief downpours. This was nothing more than everyone travels in all the time...BUT..yes had the brunt of that storm hit us as was predicted I would have delayed my journey for sure.

Upon arrival I setup as the winds off the ocean were somewhat more bothersome and rain squalls had started. I was soaked but satisfied I was in camp and not sitting home watching the weathermen.

I'm still here now and will likely have to break camp in the rain tomorrow according to local weather...will see how accurate they are this time.

For anyone whose interested, I'm staying at Fishermans Memorial State Park in Narragansett, RI. Inspite of that storm the place was largely full up Friday night. Campers are a hardy bunch I guess...either that or crazy . Also note this is definitely SUNLINE territory with at least 6 in camp now.

Bob

Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Bob, thanks for reporting back. Was wondering what was up. So you snuck out before it hit. That is an option. A lot better then starting out in the middle of the mess.

Good luck and safe travels back home

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #13

SUN #768
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodoleBob View Post
... For anyone whose interested, I'm staying at Fishermans Memorial State Park in Narragansett, RI. ...
WOW! I almost went past your door late this afternoon, we were going to go to Aunt Carries for clamcakes but found out they were closed for the season. They used to close Columbus Day weekend. I hear Fishermans is real nice but we have never camped there and it is only about 45 minutes South of me. Glad to hear you made it ok. The wind died down here earlier than expcted but then the rain started, as you found out.

Good luck Monday AM.

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 10-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #14

SUN #809
ihsolutions
We had the wind hit in Cedar Point (Sandusky, OH) on Saturday and lasted through Sunday. My slideout awnings took a beating, but appear no worse for the wear.

Towing my 38' long, 13' high fifth wheel in that wind was nerve racking, but strangely I never felt it move. We had the same winds last weekend and except for a few brief moments, it did not really affect me. I would have never taken my Sunline T-2570 out in that wind. I guess fifth wheels are more stable, but I figured the sheer size of mine would negate any extra stability offered by the 5'er....
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #15

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
WOW! I almost went past your door late this afternoon, we were going to go to Aunt Carries for clamcakes but found out they were closed for the season. They used to close Columbus Day weekend. I hear Fishermans is real nice but we have never camped there and it is only about 45 minutes South of me. Glad to hear you made it ok. The wind died down here earlier than expcted but then the rain started, as you found out.

Good luck Monday AM.

Gene
Funny you should mention Aunt Carries since we drove down too, only to discover their closed for the season...in fact most of PT Judith is closed up as compared to the summertine when it is overrun with people.

I'm surprised you have never tried Fishermans since your local to the area. It's one of the nicest CG's I've stayed at in a long time. Beautiful and mostly all level pull-thru sites with large sites and trees and lawns...exceptional place. Great location too.

Bob