Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

SUN #856
markbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you store Portable Holding Tanks ?

Still a bit of a newbie and have been thinking of buying one of those tank" on wheels" for extended stays. A few questions:

1. Where do you store it during transportation to a campground?
2. Is it used for gray and black water?
3. Overall feedback, I have this fear of leaks, etc.

thoughts appreciated, thanks

Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How do you store Portable Holding Tanks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrit
Still a bit of a newbie and have been thinking of buying one of those tank" on wheels" for extended stays. A few questions:
Hi Markbrit,

Let's see if I can provide some thoughts and ideas for you.

Quote:
1. Where do you store it during transportation to a campground?
On our previous Sunline I rigged up an old bike rack on the back bumper of the trailer to carry our Blue Tote.
Here's a link to a post showing my Bike Rack used as a Blue Tote Carrier
With our current Sunline I can't do that because of a rear storage, so I put it in the bed of the truck when traveling.

Quote:
2. Is it used for gray and black water?
I've only used ours for gray water, never used it for black, and probably never will, no reason or justification, just me. I know others that use their Blue Tank for both gray and black water.

Quote:
3. Overall feedback, I have this fear of leaks, etc.
They're great for long extended stays.
If your Blue tank is in good shape and the connections are secure, leaks shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps some.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #3

SUN #67
264SRinPA
We also carry ours in the back of the truck for the time being. As soon as I get around to moving the gas line, I'm going to mount it under the trailer between the frame rails. That way it will always be with the trailer if we need it.

We haven't stayed anywhere long enough to fill our black tank, but I would use the tote to empty it if I had to.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #4

SUN #856
markbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
neat ideas, would be great to attach it to the bumper. Think I will look into that, thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
If you read the instructions that come with the blue or gray tanks, they want you to fill the tank via a garden hose fitting that they supply.

And then they suggest you dump using the shorty 3" "stinky slinky" that comes with the tank.

If you follow the instructions, it pretty much rules out totally dumping black water because the fill hose is way too small for uh, ah, solids.

When dry camping for long periods, I have successfully been able to drain down some of the liquid from the black tank by opening the valve just a tiny bit. It's do-able, but care is necessary.

I was at the dump station once, and watched a guy try to dump his blue tank with the 3" hose only partly attached. It took him 3 tries to get the hose properly connected. Of course, by then the stuff was all over the place. And he had dumped his black tank into the tote. Not a pretty sight. I used a different lane that day.

A suggestion... The manufacturers provide a second garden hose fitting on the tank with a cap. They instruct you to loosen the cap so that air can escape as the liquids pour into the tank. That can deposit some pretty foul odors around and under your trailer. I took an old section of garden hose about 10' long and rigged it so that the male end is about 11' off the ground by hanging it from the TT's gutter with some string and an S hook. The female end I connected to the tank. Now, when I dump, the odors are vented up above the trailer in the same fashion as the vent stacks on your gray and black tanks.

Also, it is not suggested that you leave the valve to the tote open. Let your gray tank fill, and then dump into the tote and close the valve again. If you leave the valve open, you are pretty much guaranteed to forget it until it overflows. Pretty much the same rule as when hooked up no a sewer site. Let the gray tank get at least partly full so that you can flush the hoses after dumping the black tank.

It's probably wise to be very conscious of the size of your tote and the size of your holding tanks. You can't squeeze 25 gallons into a 15 gallon tote. I would much rather under fill the tote and make two trips to the dump station than over fill it and have to deal with the mess.+

As for carrying the tote, I usually use some heavy duty bungies and tie it down on the very top of the stuff in the bed of the truck. It's light weight and easily loaded or unloaded if I need to get to something else in the truck.

If we're loaded to the gunwales for a two or three week trip to the Adirondacks, I sometimes toss it in the boat. It weighs so little that it won't affect the loading of the boat. Darned thing wants to sway if there is too much weight rear of the axle.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #6

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
We have an 18 gallon Tote Tank now for use with our Sunline. The newer design of these tanks allows for filling with the standard sewer hose we have for dumping and a fill indicator so you know when to say "WHEN".

We plan to use it for gray water only. Even on an extended weekend we have not come close to filling our black tank, but the gray tank can fill fast, especially if you have a teenager washing dishes.

I've used the larger 25 gallon size tanks but those things are HEAVY when loaded... the 18 gallon weighs just over 100 pounds loaded and that's still managable.

I was reminded that with the smaller tank I'd have to dump more often, but I do not mind. I have to be able to drag the tank over to the truck for towing it to an approved gray water dump site and the lighter weight is the deciding factor.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #7

SUN #379
2beagles
We use our Barker 18 gal tote occasonally when the gray water fills up. I use the small hose to fill it to keep the flow to a minimum, and it only takes a couple of minutes to fill the tote.
When we're traveling the tote rides in the shower along with the Aquatainer we carry for fresh water, and when we arrive at our destination they fit under the rear of the caoch.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote