Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #1

SUN #207
Shelly
how do you secure your battery(batteries) from theft?

We just drove our Sunline home from PA to CA. After a few nights on the road it became obvious that two batteries will be necessary for us if we're going to dry camp multiple nights without charging.

My folks had their battery stolen off their trailer and afterwards installed a small white metal locking toolbox on their trailer tongue and put the battery in the box.

I'm wondering what clever ideas the sunline group has for securing two batteries on the trailer tongue?

Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Shelly,

I've never had a problem with the batteries, but I can see how it's possible. Fellow campers in most campgrounds around the country are quite considerate of other campers, so I don't think your problem would be there. The most popular place for theft is at storage facilities. Whenever I store a unit in one of those, I remove the battery entirely and take it home (if it's cold) or keep it locked in a storage bay (it it's warmer). I also remove other things like the clips on the WD brackets, spare tire (if it's mounted and visible), any valuables, etc.

As for securing them for travel and camping, I just use the straps supplied with the battery case. It doesn't seem like much, but I've never had a problem with the battery falling off, or the cover blowing off.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Shelly,

On our previous Sunline, I took the battery case and attached the top with 2 hinges to the box, then added a latch to the top and box that would allow the use of a lock to secure the battery in its case. I also bolted the battery case to the trailer rails so that the top opened toward the front; the hinges were toward the trailer. This secured the battery but in did make it some what difficult to get the battery in and out of the case when I removed the battery for winter storage and replaced it in the spring.

I did this because at the time we were storing our camper in an unsecured storage area and, like you, I was concerned about someone stealing the battery. The modification was easy and inexpensive. Only the cost of the hinges and latch, which I picked up at a local hardware store.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #4

SUN #115
emam
I've never even thought of this before you posted this question? Now I've got something else to be worried about...LOL

I'd only be worried about it if you were storing your rig at a storage yard, as it would be quite some work for someone to remove the batteries without damaging the entire set-up.

We have 4 6-Volt Glass Mat Batteries and the easiest way I could think to keep them from being walked off with, might be to have a piece of steel welded on each side, where you could then place a piece of steel across the top of all four and bolt it down with a lock? Just a thought, and the total cost wouldnt even be as much as one of the batteries was.

Please dont give me any other things to worry about..LOL

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote