Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
Home Made Levelers

I'm not sure if this should go in here or in Modifications, but since it isnt a Mod to my 2499, I thought it should go in here. Moderators move it if you see necessary.
__________________________________________________ ___________

While thumbing through an old issue of Trailer Life (Yeah, I keep them like Jon does), I found this in the Tips & Tricks section and thought I'd post it on here since it's such a great idea.

I made this in under an half hour with a piece of treated 2x6 that was warped and in the scrap pile at the Lumber Yard. I only have 15" tires so 2x6 is more then enough. Mybe if you went with a wider tire, you could move up to a 2x8 or a 2x10 if you thought you needed more width.

This is what the leveler looks like if I'm going to need to really raise the TT up or if it's being stored in the storage locker.

If I only need a little bit of leveling, then the other board can just be slid out of the way. I would probably slide them under the camper so while walking by with beer in hand, I wouldnt trip on the boards sticking out.

If I need a little bit of lift, I can add one more piece

With a 1" hole saw I drilled out a hole through all 3 boards and looped a good sized piece of rope to be able to grab ahold of the leveler when pulling it up from the ground.

I dont know if the boards needed to be angled, but while I had the saw out, it didnt take any more time to angle the blade and give the tires something to climb up on.

Like I said, I didnt come up with this, I just thought I'd bring it from the old pages of the magazine to the internet era

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Pat,

Nice idea, I like it. Looks like they’re easy to handle and use. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have 2 sets, one for each wheel or are the boards long enough that both wheels fit on them?

Here’s what I use, a very similar approach:

I carry 2 boards with us to use for side-to-side leveling of the trailer. I place 1 or 2 boards under the trailer’s wheels on the side that needs to be raised. The boards are made from 2”x6” PT lumber and cut in lengths of 50” and 55”. I cut and attached a 2x4 at one end of each to function as a stop and cut a 45° angle on the other end of each board. This way the boards can be used separately or stacked.

Here the boards are stacked to provide extra height adjustment, if needed.

This shows a camp site where we needed 1 board under the Door Side trailer wheels to get the trailer leveled side-to-side.

This shows a camp site where we needed 2 boards under the Door Side trailer wheels to get the trailer leveled side-to-side.

When traveling, I store one board on the tongue positioned between the LP tank cover and the battery box using bungee cords to secure it. This provides for quick access if I need a single leveling board.

The other board I store on top of the back bumper between the trailer and the spare tire. As you can see, we also store our mat between the trailer and spare tire.

On our previous T-2670, I stored both leveling boards on the back bumper with the mat rolled up on top and bungee cords around to secure it. However, with the rear storage door on the T-280SR, putting everything on the back pumper they way we did with the T-2670 would inhibit access to the storage door. But with the mat folded up to fit nicely behind the spare tire and with only 1 leveling board on the back bumper we can still access the rear storage door.

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #3

SUN #115
emam
Good Idea Hutch, I like yours better

I only made the bottoom board long enough for both tires to sit on. I thought the whole contraption would be too heavy if all three were long enough for both tires.

Thanks for showing your set-up. Cool to see two different set-ups that do the same function

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote