Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #1

SUN #2359
big ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! pricing

Hello, I am in the process of buying a 1987 sunline satellite 1850.... I really really want this trailer. However, after extensive research I am finding that the seller has this thing priced really high! $3500. Even after putting in all the options on NADA I cannot get the average market price over $1350. I really want the trailer but am scared to overpay with the additional costs of gas and camping. There are a few things that need repair but the trailer is in great shape. please offer me some advice, I dont want to insult this fellow!

signed- starving to own this sunline!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

SUN #1009
mclamp
I purchased a 1991 T-1550 for more than 3500. Granted the trailer was in mint condition, I too experienced the inability to get NADA to price my trailer anywhere close to what I paid for it. It has been a great trailer and would pay what I did again in a heartbeat. I also have had my eye on the market and several other people paid similar prices to their 1550's. Overall, if the trailer is the one you want, it is in good shape, and you can afford it, dont miss out. TT's sell quick and I have yet to find a TT that I like as much as my Sunline.

Patrick
1991 Sunline Solaris T-1550
1999 Ford F-150
Lansing, MI
mclamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ben,

Hi and welcome.

Is the seller dead set against offers? I know that you figure his price is out of sight, and maybe it is but you have to right to make offers. If he refuses and wants more than your willing to pay then just move on and hope your going to find the deal to suit you sooner than later. Maybe the next one for sale, if there is one, will have a seller that needs the money worse than they need the trailer.

Many things reflect a value. There is condition, scarcity and owner need for cash. What some book, that has never even seen the camper your looking at, says cannot always reflect reality. If you feel the value is there and you will get use for your money then buy. If you feel your being taken, then wait for the next camper.

The one thing I feel sure about is that your gonna like a Sunline and this group will become your friends.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #4

SUN #349
OPIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Forget NADA, a Sunline, or anything else, is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If you aren't willing to pay the asking price, someone else will. Or not. Plus, NADA numbers are averages. I paid zero dollars for my T1550. It was tired and the owner wanted it gone. A neighbor has the same trailer, same year and he paid $4000 for it a few years before me, because he had been looking for a long time. He was willing to pay for what he wanted, and I got lucky. Like Patrick said, if you can afford it, and you like it, GO FOR IT!

1983 T1550
OPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

SUN #1009
mclamp
Also, a few weeks ago I saw a 1993 20ft sunline with back bedroom (cant remember the model number) for sale on a Friday night for 5100.00, went back Saturday afternoon to check it out and it was sold.

Patrick
1991 Sunline Solaris T-1550
1999 Ford F-150
Lansing, MI
mclamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #6

SUN #385
Hematite
As has been pointed out, NADA prices are a GUIDE, they are not an absolute. If you read the information on the NADA site they will tell you that. It is ultimately up to the individual to decide what an item is worth.

What determines any value is condition! The items that are in premium condition are going to command a premium price and, fact is, in the long run they are worth it.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by big ben View Post
Hello, I am in the process of buying a 1987 sunline satellite 1850.... I really really want this trailer. However, after extensive research I am finding that the seller has this thing priced really high! $3500. Even after putting in all the options on NADA I cannot get the average market price over $1350. I really want the trailer but am scared to overpay with the additional costs of gas and camping. There are a few things that need repair but the trailer is in great shape. please offer me some advice, I dont want to insult this fellow!

signed- starving to own this sunline!
When I got my first camper, back in the early 70s, a salesman answered my concerns about costs. He said if you have to ask about gas mileage, cost of camping and upkeep, then you might not really want to go camping. I quickly put the questions out of my mind, paid for the camper and never looked back. Camping is more a lifestyle than it is a cost saver.

You said "you really want this trailer" and you said it twice. Instead of checking so much about price of the camper, check the costs of the lifestyle. That is what your really buying. The cost of the camper is only the initiation fee.

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote