Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

SUN #501
grannytosix
Granny getting really frustrated

Hi all,
I am beginning to think that taking on this trailer camping by myself might be too much for me. I seem to be getting problems every time I go and I am not mechanically inclined. My trailer is 29ft Model T2670
The first few weeks we camped it was cold at night so we ran the furnace a bit and it worked fine. I also tried the AC and it worked. Now this past weekend it was about 39 degrees with the humidity and the AC did not work I tried the furnace also but absolutely nothing...no sound, no fan, just silence. I had checked the breakers earlier and they were all fine, don't know much about fuses but they seemed to all look the same. Someone told me it was an electrical problem.
The other problem is the fridge, the temperature is going above 40 almost to 50. Since they are preset at the manufacturer how can you make your fridge keep cool, I don't want to make my grandkids sick with bad food. Is it just because it was so warm out, if so then how do you deal with this problem in the summer. Is there a way to reset the fridge temperature. The fridge is a Dometic RM2612.
Next problem was the hot water tank...worked fine until last weekend. Now you can light it and heat one tank of water but the pilot light keeps going out. Is it the wind that somehow blows inside the cover that puts it out or do I have another problem.
I am going camping again this weekend with two of my grandchildren and am hoping that there are no new problems.
I would really appreciate any suggestions on what to do to fix some of these problems.
Thanks
Granny to six...soon to be seven[/code]

Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Re: Granny getting really frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannytosix

I also tried the AC and it worked. Now this past weekend it was about 39 degrees with the humidity and the AC did not work I tried the furnace also but absolutely nothing...no sound, no fan, just silence. I had checked the breakers earlier and they were all fine, don't know much about fuses but they seemed to all look the same. Someone told me it was an electrical problem.
Thanks
Granny to six...soon to be seven[/code]
Hi granny, I'll type more tomorrow on your other issues but I see a possible problem with the AC and the furnace.

You said 39, assuming that is deg. C that means it is 102 F. Holy cow....

That temperature will trip the safeties on the AC and not allow the furnace to run especially if the camper is left close to cook inside from the heat outside.

To help, open the windows and let it cool down some inside. Just flip the switch on the Thermostat to FAN, it may not run but it is enabled to run once the safties are again met. Do not need AC yet., just fan. If you have a roof vent fan, open the roof vents and let it cool the camper down at least some. When the temp's drop enough the fan will run. When the fan runs then flip on the AC and it will start working. It may be so hot that you cannot get the system cool enough until later in the day to even start. If the compressor on the roof runs and no fan inside, shut it down. Not good to run it long time like that.

When the unit senses high heat, it shut the fans and everything off and it will not run. I had this happen myself this weekend and it was only 98F out but well over 100 inside. If the camper is maintained cool, then no problem it being hot outside. Just starting to try and cool it when it is that hot inside is a problem.

On the furnace, since it is so hot inside, you can slide the T stat to 90 and it still will do nothing. The temp inside is already above 90….. so nothing runs.

Both of those problems may have fixed themselves by the weather just getting cooler.

Does this sound like it might fit your what you saw?

Do not give up.... we are here to support you.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #3

SUN #201
Charlsve
Refrigerator temp

Hi there,
I fixed a friend's fridge that would not keep cool enough by carefully removing the gas orifice that feeds the hidden pilot flame and cleaning it with alcohol. I did not use a wire, which will ruin the opening. I had noticed that his pilot was not very large, and when I put the orifice from my fridge on his, the pilot was larger. When we cleaned his, the pilot jumped up slightly (it's not too big anyway) and now his fridge is nice and cool. This orifice is a little brass hex-cap looking thing in the gas line right before the pilot. The orifice is a little hole in a sort of clear mica-type material on the end of the cap. If you need to use a wire, be super-careful and use only a very fine one. I did not have any alcohol as such at the campsite and used mosquito spray and it seemed to do the trick. I then blew it out as best I could and it worked.
ALSO, you have to make sure the pilot light openings are not sooted up. It looks like a little comb thingy with a few slots in it. It provides the heat for the closed-loop ammonia (I think) system that runs the fridge. I remember that to get to the actual pilot, which is on the outside behind the access door, you have to remove a screw or two and take off a little metal box affair.

Hope that helps you, grannytosix!
Gotta run; my lunch break is over.......

Charlie
Old 06-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #4

SUN #501
grannytosix
Thanks

Thanks John and Charlie,
I will try out your ideas on the weekend and will let you know how I do. I will probably try and get one of the men at the campground to help with the fridge idea as propane scares me and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying that on my own.
I have printed out your suggestions and have already packed them to go.
Thanks again
Sharon
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #5

SUN #382
Mooney
Hi Granny,

On the fridge, I as well will assume that the 39 degrees was Centigrade, but the fridge temp is Farenheit, yes?

Don't get discouraged, but I think that you're asking/ expecting a little too much from your refrigerator.

If the camper interior temperature was that hot (100+/- deg. F), there is no way that the kind of fridge we have in the coaches should be expected to maintain a cold temp. of 40 deg. F. It just won't happen. I drive a refrigerated truck here in the states, and even with a commercial refrig unit, the temps get nowhere near that (40) most of the time when it's that hot.

Most food will store for at least a day, if not two, at 50 degrees, as long as it is thoroughly cooked when it's time. No rare steaks, ya know?

The BEST way to be sure of your food is to freeze it at home, and defrost it in the fridge while waiting to cook it, and then finishing the thaw by running COLD water over it (or defrost in the microwave) before cooking time.
Another is to just purchase soon before your cooking time (but that's a hassle).

There are products out there that can replace your fridge vent cover up on the roof with a solar powered fan (supposedly draws or blows the hot air out of the coil area), or that can be placed into the fridge (battery powered) to blow the air around a bit more.

here's a couple good links:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/...Road/index.asp

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fttstore.html

http://www.foodscience.csiro.au/handling.htm

I know that there's a chart showing the maximum hold times at varying temperatures somewhere, but I can't find it and need to go to bed. 75,ooo pounds of product delivered by hand truck so far this week (3 days), and 1000+ miles down... one day left before the weekend....

don't give up!

Greg
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:41 AM   #6

SUN #501
grannytosix
Back from a weekend of camping

Hi,
I am back from a very successful weekend of camping! I managed to resolve some of my problems. Two lots down from my seasonal site there turned out to be a college prof who teaches refrigeration and a/c technical courses. He came to check on my a/c and it turned out to be simply the breaker...I had checked them but it is very difficult to tell if they need to be reset but he showed me how to tell the difference. Also solved my refrigeration problem by buy a small fridge (about counter height) to put on my deck. I placed it in a large Rubbermaid type garbage container
(made for two large garbage cans I think) where there is a lot of room for air circulation. Campground rules state that an extra fridge has to be hidden. It works very well at keeping things cold so I am putting items that really need to be cold in there and extra items such as margarine etc that can be kept in the trailer fridge where the temperature varies. When I arrived back at the campground after being away for 5 days the temp of the trailer fridge was ok so I am thinking that it was opening it a lot and the high temp. in the trailer (with no a/c) that was making it difficult for temp control.
So thanks to all the ideas I have received from this group I now have a trailer that is a joy to go to and I am looking forward to spending the summer there.
Thank you to everyone who helped.
Sharon