Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #1

SUN #84
JeffS
Grand Cherokee as Tow Vehicle

What do people think of the Jeep Grand Cherokee as a tow vehicle. I have an older F-150 truck right now, but want something with a bigger backseat and a bit more plush. Looking at the Grand Cherokee. It has the 6500 tow capacity, which is more than enough for my Sunline, but I am not sure about the shorter wheelbase. Will I be less stable?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 AM   #2

SUN #21
donreitz
Without knowing what model Sunline you have or your hitch setup it's hard to tell about stability. We towed our T-2499 with an '02 Tahoe (Reese Dual-Cam hitch) and it towed like a champ. I'm assuming the wheelbase of the Tahoe and Grand Cherokee are close. Power, not stability, was the limitation of this combination. Even though we had no trouble towing, I think we were at the limit of the Tahoe's comfortable towing abilities. With that in mind, I wouldn't pull more than maybe a 25 foot Sunline with a mid-sized SUV, assuming you stay within the rated capacities of the tow vehicle.

Hope this helps.
Don

donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #3

SUN #59
VernM
Pulling is only half of the towing consideration. It is what you can stop safely, too. The little Cherokee will have quite a load behind it if you buy the trailer you are thinking of. Consider that when hooked up with weight distribution hitch, that trailer can (and will) push you right along in a straight line some time on wet cement or blacktop when you try to turn sharply or brake quickly.