Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #1

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Grabbin' for the brass ring....

A rather unique opportunity has fallen in our lap and it is beginning to happen for my wife (Gail) and me. Gail's mother owns a 110 year old two-family house in Northville, NY. (Northville is in the Adirondacks on Route 30 at the north end of the Great Sacandaga Lake.) One side of the house was updated in the '70's as a rentable apartment, but has not been occupied in at least 20 years. The plan is for us to re-hab the apartment side and live there. Gail's mom lives in another city and rarely uses the house.

We have a lot of work ahead of us. The entire place needs to be rewired and the bathroom completely replaced. Everything needs to be painted to encapsulate any lead paint. Most of the floors need to be caulked and painted before we can put down any flooring. The kitchen needs a total overhaul. Luckily, the furnace was installed in the '70's and is in good order. The interior walls were originally lath and plaster but at some point most of the rooms were re-done by removing the plaster and drywalling over the lath. The stairway and 2nd floor hall were not done and the plaster is now crumbling away. So that will need to be done as well.

The plan is for us to live in the other side of the house while we do the work. That side of the house is a bit old fashioned, but still comfortable. My brother-in-law just finished re-wiring that side of the house so we'll be nearby and safe until our side is done.

Our home here in the Finger Lakes of NY State is sold, and we close by the end of June. We're scheduled to be camping in the Adirondacks at Fish Creek Ponds from the 1st to the 22nd of June so we have planned everything around being completely moved out by the 25th of May. We may have to come back briefly before the closing for a day or two. From the campground, we'll be close enough to the new place that we can go home for the day if bad weather settles in and work on the house.

This all means that my SOC time will be a bit limited between now and Labor Day. I'll check in from time to time. The best way to reach me is by direct email. There is an email button at the bottom of each of my posts for that.

We do plan to be at the ADK M&G in September, and have not ruled out the Western NY one yet. All 6 of our grandchildren and 3 out of 4 of our children are in the Rochester area so we're good with any excuse to come back for a visit. Bringing our own hotel room is big plus.

So I'm still here, just kinda busy for a while.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve,

Congrats and good luck.

Looking forward to hearing all about the remodeling at the ADK M&G (& possibly the WNY M&G).

Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve,
We have 5 weekends reserved at Sacandaga just 15 miles north of you in Wells (or just beyond Hope as I like to say). Memorial Day, 4th of July, Wells Old Home Days (fun time), Labor Day and one other. I hope we can meet up some time.

Good Luck. Northville's a nice place to live. We both have many family members there.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on the sale of your home and the move to your new adventure....old homes have sooo much charm and soooo many headaches....ask us - our home was built in 1890 and was originally one of the mill "flop houses".....

I'm sure we'll chat at the M&G - have fun!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote