Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #1

SUN #115
emam
GPS

Were thinking of getting a GPS unit after almost strangling each other after a 20 minute drive turned into a two hours name calling session.

ANyone have any ideas as to why one is better than the next. I've been reading up on them, but there is only 3000 to choose from and they all say they're the best

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #2

SUN #182
AprilWhine
Anything is better than nothing, just get the one you can afford. They are all good, spend some time at your local electronics superstore.

I have an AVIC N3 (in dash unit) in my car, my hubby has OEM Nav in his car, and we have a Garmin 2720 (portable unit) in our Jeep.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat,

There's a currently active thread on the Open Roads Forum.
If you haven't seen it yet, it's located in the General RVing Issues category - subject "Which Navigation system is best", in case I didn't incorporate the link correctly. You may be able to get some additional insight and help from here.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/in...d/19165733.cfm

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
I read GPS posts til I thought I'd see them in my sleep. I went to Circuit City, to actually see some in person. This allowed me to see screen sizes and how some of the functions worked. They had theirs connected, so I was able to plot in an address and see how it worked. I chose the Garmin NUVI 350 as its about the size of a mans wallet, not real obtrusive when mounted on the lfet corner of my dash on the F350, has a very easy to read screen. I paid 419 delivered to the door. I purchased thru Amazon. Just went to Amazon site and searched for Garmins, as I believe they are one of the best GSP units available. All kinds of prices/pffers came up. I have used it 3 times so far and it has talked me right to my destination, no need to watch the screen. It will get a real test this July when I head west. I'm sure there are better out there, but I feel for the price the Nuvi 350 will suit my needs, big improvement over trying to read road map and "remember" roads/routes !!!

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #5

SUN #115
emam
I'll have to do some price checking online, because we just got back from a few electronics stores, and a Camping World, and the sticker shock scared me out of buying it. Most were right around $700!!! So if Kitty got it delivered for around $400, that's a huge savings!!

Thanks for the heads up Hutch, I looked at that Next Exit Guide you spoke of in the email, but I'm wondering if you get a GPS and it can tell you POI, do you need the hard copies of all the travel guides and such?

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
Jim

SUN #24
Jim
You need to decide how you want to use yours. I have a Garmin 60csx and really love it. For me the plus's of this unit are the improved signal strength over previous units and portability. I can take it to any vehicle in seconds and even use it on the bicycle or hold it in my hand or wear it on my belt clip when hiking. Like most other's, it has points of interest that include campgrounds, gas stations, hotels, restaurants and shopping etc...
If I where to find a down side it would probably be the screen size and the fact that it does not talk to you . Instead it beeps when your turn is nearing.
I plug mine into the computer and add all my stops and find points of interest when planning the trip and can also add these en route. I would imagine you can do this with most, but I can't say so for sure.
Once you know how you want to use them, you will be better able to decide which unit would be best for you. I do not know of a unit that does it all in a price range most are willing to pay.

Go to Google and type in "review GPS" and there you will find a number of sites that will give you more information than you care to read.
2017 Siverado 6.0 4x4 4:10
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

SUN #225
Mark
I have two car units (both Garmin ) and one handheld, a Magellan ).

When looking for NEW models, look for the SIRF II chip. This is the new faster/better chip and its a great improvement over models made just a year ago.

There is nothing like hands on to test these....I too researched and researched then got frustrated, and bought my second Garmin C530 over the internet and saved hundreds.

But since I couldn't try it out, its missing one feature I really liked (it was in my 6 year old model). My gues is they lawyers made them take it out. (Its the ability to move the map while in 'routing' mode.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote