Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
"Global Warming" Hits the Southwest

Just kidding..the southwest has not been spared the last few rounds of polar blast. I was in central Hill Country of Texas and it was cold, rainy and freezing temps at night the last few rounds of polar blast.

Now I am on my way to Arizona and its cold, icy and foggy!

I woke up in camp (Fort Stockton, Texas) this morning to ice pellets all over and freezing temps. But that is not all! Heavier fog in the higher elevations too! All the scrubs and cactus in the desert were covered with ice!
Still a lot of scenery was beautiful, desert, mountain peaks and plateaus. I saw my first Texas oil wells as my first border patrols. In fact there is a E/W board patrol check complete with German Shepards on I10 I went through. Good! But still not nearly enough to keep our borders closed to illegal activities. What an adventure

At camp now in Deming, NM and lows expected in the 20s. The southwest has not been spared this latest blast of polar air. Tomorrow on my way to warm and sunny Arizona!

BTW why do the outside compartments open into the camper with NO insulation?!!

This weather has gotten me over any fears of some cold weather camping but I am going to add some insulation in those compartments on my T-1950

Not sure quite how I will do it and what type or rigid and a combo I will use. Anyone done it?

Also does anyone know if Sunline used vapor barriers when constructing the walls?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6372.jpg (71.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6373.jpg (80.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Soutn of Van Horn, TX.jpg (64.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6384.jpg (50.4 KB, 8 views)

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
... and I thought that was the warm part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
.... Also does anyone know if Sunline used vapor barriers when constructing the walls?
There is none on mine. I am quite sure it was not standard to use vapor barriers.

Stay warm.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're cold while in Deming take a hot soak in Faywood Hot springs or visit the wild ones along the Gila river N of Silver City

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
Also does anyone know if Sunline used vapor barriers when constructing the walls?
Joan,

In your model/year camper there are no vapor barriers in the walls or cieling. The bottom has a waterproof membrane on the outside to stop moisture from coming in, Not vapor going out.

A wall is made like this

- Outside aluminum skin is stapled to the wood wall studs.
- Fiberglass type insulation is place between the studs.
- 1/8" luan plywood is glued stapled to the studs on the inside.
- A vinyl type wall covering/paper is glued to the inside luan of the camper that you see.

No vapor barrier between inside wall and outside cold. The roof is built similar to the walls just it has bud board corrugate on the roof rafters and a rubber membrane glued to the bud board.

I do not know about the newer Fiver's they made, but unless you had a special TT order, that was the way most where built. Just like the majority of other brands of the time. Some other brands took the wood studs out and put aluminum studs in place. In some cases the studs would frost inside due to transmitting the cold. Actually the Sunline Toy Haulers had a vapor barrier I believe between the toys and the main living area. That may have been to try and keep fuel smells out of the living area.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
"Draft blockers"

Joan,

Many of the PA state park campgrounds stay open 'til hunting season ends in December so we wanted to extend our camping season. Camping in October we could feel the cold air coming in at the cellar entrances under our couch so this is what we did for draft blockers.

Measured the cellar entrances - in the 2363, they are both different sizes as you can see by looking at the pix. Took green craft board from Lowe's and cut it so that it extended about 1/2" beyond the edges of the entrances (except for the bottom edge). Then cut Reflectix, also from Lowe's, about 1-2" beyond the edges of the green board and adhered the Reflectix to the green board with Liquid-Nails. We're able to pull the draft blockers tight against the cellar entrances, green board side against the doors. When we tested them late in November (overnight temps of 30 degrees) we found that they do a good job keeping the cold air out. They are light, easy-to-store, and not all that expensive or difficult to make. The most expensive thing is the Reflectix; some hardware stores sell it by the foot, but we had to buy a roll at Lowe's. We'll be making more for the cellar entrance under the bed and the outside "accessory" doors.

Wow, would like to be in NM… or almost any place in the SW right now! Beats the foot of snow we got over the past couple of days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TTDraftBlock2.jpg (64.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TTDraftBlock1.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Started snowing the last week of Jan. here and hasn't stopped yet 8-12" today and more mid week. I think they are talking 8* today with strong winds I have all ready plowed 5' drifts out of the drive way. Got to love northern New England weather. Not being of sound mind I decided the a nice quiet spot for a nap yesterday would be the camper it only took about an hour for it to get up to 60 glad I had two full propane tanks.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #7

SUN #1546
That is a great idea! I thought of using that stiff pink insulation too. Is the green board the same stuff?

I just bought some Reflectix but for a different reason. I am in Tucson and we have had a heat wave, 90 degree weather for several days. I used it in my windows to block out the heat and does a darn good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Joan,

Many of the PA state park campgrounds stay open 'til hunting season ends in December so we wanted to extend our camping season. Camping in October we could feel the cold air coming in at the cellar entrances under our couch so this is what we did for draft blockers.

Measured the cellar entrances - in the 2363, they are both different sizes as you can see by looking at the pix. Took green craft board from Lowe's and cut it so that it extended about 1/2" beyond the edges of the entrances (except for the bottom edge). Then cut Reflectix, also from Lowe's, about 1-2" beyond the edges of the green board and adhered the Reflectix to the green board with Liquid-Nails. We're able to pull the draft blockers tight against the cellar entrances, green board side against the doors. When we tested them late in November (overnight temps of 30 degrees) we found that they do a good job keeping the cold air out. They are light, easy-to-store, and not all that expensive or difficult to make. The most expensive thing is the Reflectix; some hardware stores sell it by the foot, but we had to buy a roll at Lowe's. We'll be making more for the cellar entrance under the bed and the outside "accessory" doors.

Wow, would like to be in NM… or almost any place in the SW right now! Beats the foot of snow we got over the past couple of days.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #8

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Joan,

Actually we were looking for the pink stuff originally but Lowe's didn't have it so we got the green board; while it's not the same stuff, it's pretty good! The left-over Reflectix will go to the same use that you're doing, as heat blockers in the windows.

Ah, Tucson! My best friend from HS lives there, as well as an uncle of Matthew's, and we've visited out there several times. Great city! Envy you even the hot weather, altho' I'm one of those people who thinks 90 degrees in the SW is comfortable - it's a dry heat! Still cold here in PA but the state park campgrounds will be opening next weekend so we'll take our draft blockers and try to get out in the Sunline soon!

Happy camping!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

SUN #1546
Dry heat DOES make a difference! I know what a 90 degree day with humidity is like

The desert is blooming now. Just a few pictures....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Joan,

Actually we were looking for the pink stuff originally but Lowe's didn't have it so we got the green board; while it's not the same stuff, it's pretty good! The left-over Reflectix will go to the same use that you're doing, as heat blockers in the windows.

Ah, Tucson! My best friend from HS lives there, as well as an uncle of Matthew's, and we've visited out there several times. Great city! Envy you even the hot weather, altho' I'm one of those people who thinks 90 degrees in the SW is comfortable - it's a dry heat! Still cold here in PA but the state park campgrounds will be opening next weekend so we'll take our draft blockers and try to get out in the Sunline soon!

Happy camping!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8566SMALL.jpg (82.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8592SMALL.jpg (70.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8580SMALL.jpg (138.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8401small.jpg (93.8 KB, 0 views)

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice pix

Thanx for posting them
We see same type vegetation here in SW AZ

Believe your 1st shot is of Quailb(r)ush
2nd is a Mexican Poppy
3rd is Prickly pear cactus (pads are edible after being de-thorned)
final shot is a Ocotillo blooming in front of the iconic Suguaro

Both the ubiquitous creosote brush & mostly dead-looking Palo Verde trees are also in full bloom here

Until we actually saw it, assumed the desert was a stark, lifeless place

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #11

SUN #1546
1st shot is what I call "Desert Marigold"
2nd shot is the Prickly Pear (blooms in a beautiful pink too)
I had some Prickly Pear candy and it yummy. Havelinas can eat the leaves, needles and all! Apparently their saliva has a special enzyme that allows them to do that. Most Prickly Pear I see has Havelina bites.

3rd shot is what is called a Hedgehog Cactus
And last is the Ocotillo in Saguaro National Park

And the Palo Verde is blooming here too!
and the Staghorn Cholla, in red, deep pink, yellow, coral/tan

Annnnnd the majestic giant Saguaros have large buds that should be blooming in the next couple weeks!

I know, I never knew the desert was so alive with color... and critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
Thanx for posting them
We see same type vegetation here in SW AZ

Believe your 1st shot is of Quailb(r)ush
2nd is a Mexican Poppy
3rd is Prickly pear cactus (pads are edible after being de-thorned)
final shot is a Ocotillo blooming in front of the iconic Suguaro

Both the ubiquitous creosote brush & mostly dead-looking Palo Verde trees are also in full bloom here

Until we actually saw it, assumed the desert was a stark, lifeless place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8682Smaller.jpg (92.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8430small.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8569Small.jpg (115.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8625SMALL.jpg (83.1 KB, 0 views)

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #12

SUN #1546
A couple more....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8421SMALL.jpg (107.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8394small.jpg (134.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8574SMALL.jpg (162.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8604SMALL.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"

Tags
cold weather, insulation, new mexico, pics, west texas