Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
First Long Trip

We just got back from our first "long" trip. We've only been going about 25 miles to our favorite haunt, until this weekend. We took a weekend trip to Cimarron Canyon in NE New Mexico - about 250 miles from us. It was a great weekend! The Yukon pulled "Peggy Sue" very well, and never had a bit of trouble. Bearings stayed no more than slightly warm to the touch, had no problem with handling at all. I was well pleased. More long trips may well be in order.

Of note, I could have sworn we passed another Sunline about 20 miles East of Springer, NM - we were Westbound and it was Eastbound.

Here's our camp site the first night. Second night, we had to go to another campground in Cimarron Canyon. Couldn't get two consecutive nights at the same one.

Our second night was spent at this one:

The Cimarron River (loaded with trout) was literally no more than 30' behind the camper.

We've gotta do that again!

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear that first "long" one went well. Looks like 2 nice sites. Thanks for the pictures.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #3

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cute camper! Love the awning set up. It looks like beautiful sites...glad that you had fun on your first "long trip."
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

SUN #4364
Thanks, Gene and Anita. Yep, we had a great time - and with no hookups! They did have "facilities" there with running water and electricity, but not for the sites.

Since we have no generator or anything, we had to rely on the Sunny's battery for interior lights and we had battery powered lanterns, and a solar/battery powered Weather/AM/FM/SW radio. We used the camper's lights sparingly to keep from running it dead. (Don't know how long it would last.) When I hit the switch for the power tongue jack when hooking up to come home, I realized that if we did kill the battery I'd have to get out the crank. I'd rather not do that. <G>

Beautiful country that I've never before seen. It could have only been better if we had clear skies so I could pull out my telescope.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow- local trips to Palo Duro and a long trip to NM - we're envious! Both sites look nice but especially that second one. Your Sunline is looking good!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #6

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice little camper !

Bet you can put "her" in the smallest campsite.
When you wean yourself from hookups a whole new world of camping opportunities opens up. Imagine there are many (unlimited) backcountry sites in eastern NM. We've boondocked in SW NM & were very impressed.
With a 2nd battery & an inexpensive conversion of your most often used lights to LED you'll be able to leave those hookups behind. Enjoy !
PS Did the trout cooperate ?

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 AM   #7

SUN #4364
Thanks, Matthew.

We got a bonus at the second site. A group of soldiers from Fort Bliss were right next to our spot, and one of the guys came over and chatted with us for an hour or more that night - mostly about non-service stuff, but a little of that, too. He was a young guy (no more than 20?), been deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq in his 2 1/2 years, and we think he may have been missing home a little bit - North Dakota. These guys' attitudes are no different than ours were back in the day. They want to do their job, and do it well. ("Put me in, coach! I've got this.") They definitely have their heads screwed on right. America's finest!

Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #8

SUN #4364
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
Bet you can put "her" in the smallest campsite.
Yes we can. Many campgrounds have size limits, but they don't apply to our little one.

Quote:
When you wean yourself from hookups a whole new world of camping opportunities opens up. Imagine there are many (unlimited) backcountry sites in eastern NM. We've boondocked in SW NM & were very impressed.
We're seeing that. It wasn't any real inconvenience at all. I think I better check my holding tanks for leaks, though. I haven't done that yet, and we've had her over a year now. I can see where they'd be real useful. <G>

Quote:
With a 2nd battery & an inexpensive conversion of your most often used lights to LED you'll be able to leave those hookups behind.
We are considering a solar panel setup, just for situations like this when we use our 12v more.

Quote:
PS Did the trout cooperate ?
Not for us (we didn't fish), but a lot of others had 'em swinging on stringers.

I had my sights set on stargazing and doing some astrophotography with my telescope, but it didn't work out. First night we had open skies, but it was overcast. The second night was crystal clear, but trees everywhere. Figures. <G>