Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ethanol 15% on the way

If you thought the E10 fuels and the lost MPG from it were a drain on your travel budget then wait until the E15 Ethanol hits the pumps. It is approved and will soon be forced on us like E10 has been.

Read about the Environmental Protection Agency passage: E15 (a blend of gasoline and ethanol) | Fuels & Fuel Additives | US EPA

A petition was filed to allow sale/distribution of E10 or less fuels but it was denied. I can see the E15 being the only fuel allowed/available for all vehicles. I can also see a lot of vehicles setting by the side of the road or used as planters. Buy stock in Honda motorscooters and bicycles from China.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

SUN #3387
1979Sunline is an unknown quantity at this point
our snowmobiles wont run off e15 for long, many burndowns on e10 as it is, hope its wrong

Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Less BTU's, less MPG's... But you can still bet your bottom dollar, that the price will still go up!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

SUN #1830
Cost is over inflated now for E10. What would the real costs of E10 at the pump be with the Federal subsidies removed? We are paying dearly for E10 so E15 will be no different. Throw away your gas drinkers, not just gas guzzlers but all petrol based fuels, and go solar.

Maybe someone will come out with a good windup/friction car. A nice environmentally friendly vehicle that will rewind quickly and go farly. LOL!

Some older test results: http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmg...yStudy_001.pdf

From the test results: "This pilot study appears to confirm that BTU content is not a direct indication of the amount of work a vehicle can do with a given quantity of fuel. Other properties of ethanol seem to minimize the effects of
lower BTU content.

A much less friendly discussion of ethanol: E10 Ethanol Fuel Disadvantages: Cost, Engine Problems and Damage.

I have been using ethanol since The State of Florida removed other choices. My own experience is that ethanol, in my 2008 Expedition, does not have the power nor does it provide the miles per gallon or regular unleaded gasoline. I have not noticed any mechanical problems that can be attributed to E10 but when can I expect to see problems from it? Tomorrow or a year from now. Will I end up with a $30,000, four wheeled planter in my front yard?

Depending on which site you read the out-of-pocket costs for ethanol is between just under 6 Billion dollars to over 7 Billion dollars. That is about fifty cents of each gallon and is only the Federal money added, not any local money spent with increased local taxes because of higher prices per gallon inflated by Federal demands. Then throw in the fewer miles per gallon, repair costs or the must have costs for a newer vehicle that will not fall apart due to ethanol. Or increased prices at the stores to cover the higher costs of delivering your loaf of bread.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the feds dropped the subsidies but not the ethanol it will be interesting to see if they go back to making food instead of ethanol because the subsidies was where the money was. I have had no issues with ethanol in any thing I own from lawn tractors to snow mobiles and generators but I don't like the ideal of paying for 10 gallon of gas and only getting 9 Does it really cost $3.55 for a gallon for ethanol because they sure don't cut the price for that 1 gallon out of 10. OK I'll rant a bit there is no earthly reason why the gas price is as high as it is right now other then speculators and gas station owners make big profit on the gas they bought last week I think the speculators should have to take delivery of the fuel they bought and see if they can store 100,000 gallons in their back yard.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

SUN #1830
Then the spike in prices we are seeing today could be the ethanol businesses getting the money that was lost in the subsidies, nothing to do with oil. Other driving forces are supply and demand. The supply is kept down to protect the environment and demand climbs to support the economy. One day the demand will stop or the supply will meet demand.