Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Dogs in transit

We just adopted a dog, a Great Dane she is a rescue dog from a divorce the only problem is we all ready have one so it’s two large dogs weighing about 250 pounds. This leads me to the question how do you all deal with hauling your dogs? We have T1700 we tow it with a Tacoma access cab there is enough space behind the seats for a dog (I have made a platform just for that purpose) however two dogs present a problem can you leave the dogs in the camper while it’s being towed or is that a bad ideal? The TT it’s self is fine once we are parked surprisingly once the dogs have calmed down they don’t take up much space so that‘s not an issue. My wife says she’ll just follow me in her car but that would reduce the mileage to all most negative figures. Any ideals would be greatly appreciated personally I think they both would fit behind the seats but the management is having none of it.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I don't own a dog so I can't give a real good answer but I worked around a lot of show dogs many years ago when I did sound systems for point shows. Danes aren't "lap dogs" so they do occupy some space. A lot of owners would have passenger vans with seats removed and each dog in a crate with some padding and they would tow a TT from show to show. I don't recall any traveling in the TT. I would think they would get real nervous in a TT with the movement and would require a tall crate to keep them from bouncing around in a sudden stop. The access cab looks like a lot of space, maybe you could take them both for a couple of test rides in the access cab to see how they handle it.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

SUN #2097
Yes thanks a ride long enough to see if they calm down is in order. We live in the mountains of Maine on 80 acres and our dogs have all ways had the run of the world so crates are out I was just thinking about opening the big bed in the front of the TT so they would lie down but I think it is either down to riding in the truck or my wife's Scion (this is why I'm open for suggestions because I'm dead set against that option)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
We have 2 rescued greyhounds, and 2 crewcab pickup trucks. What we do is take a couple of "old" quilts and stuff them in front of the back seat to fill in that space. This allows the girls room to lay down. We also have a cargo net directly behind the front seats. It is attached to the top & bottom front seat belt anchors, so hopefully this will also provide a little protection in the event of a sudden stop. Not the perfect solution, but a van is not an option since we have a 5th wheel. Crating is not an option for us, even thought in some circumstances it "might" be a bit safer, but then again, that would all depend on what the situation was. I feel our trucks meet higher safety standards than the 5th wheel does, so if our trucks are safe for us, then they are safer for the dogs than riding in the rig. You might also want to cut a piece of plywood to fit in the truck to make a "solid" platform for the dogs. Here are our girls on the sofa in the 5th wheel while we were camping:
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I was hoping Kitty would reply with her experience with Greys. Love that picture, they each have a "pillow". Greys and Danes don't take too well to crates like a smaller dog does I think. That cargo net sounds like a great solution to keep them from being "lap dogs" for the driver or passenger and they can see (and sniff) their surroundings and hear a kind word from the humans.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Greys do crate very well, since they are crated or kept in kennels their entire racing career, which could be from the time they are 10 or 12 months old until they are retired, which usually occurs no later than 5 years of age, depending on the dogs racing career.

I just don't see how to get 2 big crates in the truck and then be able to get the dogs into the crates.

You could also have harnesses on your Danes and leash them to the seatbelts.

The big question, is "do your dogs mind being "close/touching" each other, if they don't mind you might not have much of a problem.

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

SUN #2097
Well we had a ride today it's cramped, Tacoma's are not real big I think once we are on the road they will settle down, there is still some hurt feelings with the male he was an only dog and raised from a pup but he is getting better with the "new girl" I think they will be able to lie down together. My other thought is the bed of the pickup with a cage type arrangement nice soft padding of course with snap on covers in case it rains that way we could converse through the rear slider window. Great shots of your dogs this is our 2nd rescue Dane we have had 5 over the years.