Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #1

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Dell Laptop question

OK so I know it isn't a Sunline question, but I have a question/problem!

Sunday I got delete happy and got rid of a lot of programs I have not used in a looong time.....I must have deleted something that I shouldn't have.

When I start up the computer I now get an error message that the computer does not recognize the a/c adapter....press F1 to continue....which I have done, I even went back and did a "restore" to last Friday - still the same problem.

Does anyone know where I would enter the info for an a/c adapter????

I'll try working on this again later tonight, but right now it is really getting to me!!!!!

Thanks for any insight anyone maybe able to provide!

UPDATE: When all else fails go back to comptuers 101 - shut everything down, unplug everything (including the ac adapter) then plug everything back in and guess what IT WORKS NOW!!!!

Kathy

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Here's what I got on a quick google search.

http://askville.amazon.com/SimilarQu...ging+cord+luck

http://getsatisfaction.com/dell/topi...not_recognized

If that error message started the next time you booted your laptop you may have deleted the software/program that monitors your battery and its charging while you were 'cleaning up'.

If it started after that, a few times of being booted and shut down, it may be a hardware issue that just popped up coincidentally with your 'clean up'. Hopefully it's the software!

I'm not sure what level of technician you might be with computer hardware and software so I'm reluctant to say 'this is what you should do' and have you find yourself worse off than when you started.

Hope reading through those questions and answers helps give you some direction on the issue, seems others have seen the same error.

Take care,
Lode

Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dell Laptop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana
UPDATE: When all else fails go back to comptuers 101 - shut everything down, unplug everything (including the ac adapter) then plug everything back in and guess what IT WORKS NOW!!!!
Gail's Dell laptop does the same thing sometimes. She likes to unplug and take it up to our bedroom so she can listen to her favorite music from iTunes while drifting off to sleep. More than once, she's brought it back downstairs in the morning and been greeted with the message as you.

Glad you found the answer; sorry I didn't catch this thread sooner...

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
I figure Lode is right... you deleted some files that were part of the laptop's power monitoring system. You may be able to put it back by using the Resource CD that came with your laptop.

I've been in IT for about 16 years now, most of it as a Computer Support Tech.

My general advice to those who clean up their own PC is:

Only delete what YOU create.

I advise people to keep their stuff organized by saving files and pictures they create to one of the directories under "My Documents". Makes things a lot easier to maintain.

Once I had a user who, in a fit of helpfulness, deleted files from the \Windows\System32 folder... they wondered why their computer failed to reboot.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #5

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dell Laptop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana
Kathy

Glade you got it back up and running.

It’s always a good first step in trouble shooting PCs is to do a full and complete shut down and then reboot.

A rule of thumb when I do this is to let the computer set for at least 30 seconds after shutting it down. This will allow the capacitors within the computer to fully discharge.

For desk tops, another method to ensure the capacitors are fully discharge is to unplug the power cord after shut down, then push and hold the PC's power-on button for 20 – 30 seconds. For a laptop you need to unplug the power cable plus remove the battery to do the same procedure. Pushing and holding the PC's power-on button when all power cords are disconnected will discharge the capacitors.

The reason for ensuring the capacitors are fully discharged, is that this also ensures all volatile memory (e.g., RAM) of the computer is fully cleared. Volatile memory is typically the memory where current settings are maintained during use and some times gets corrupted causing funky things to happen. Volatile memory, is only fully cleared when all power is removed from it. It takes some time for the capacitors to discharge. If the capacitors still have power, they could also be providing power to volatile memory causing them not to be fully cleared. Therefore, if you power up before they are fully discharge, the volatile memory may not be fully cleared and you problem (i.e., corrupted settings) may still be in memory.

Hopefully this provides you some insight why doing a complete and full shut down resolved your problem.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #6

SUN #225
Mark
I have gotten strange power messages when my power cord is not plugged into the laptop completely tight.

It like it senses power but a loose connection.....

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:38 AM   #7

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Well its been a few days and I have not had a problem with the computer since....so I guess what was wrong is now fixed..

When I said I deleted/cleaned up I only deleted those programs that I knew I installed and had not used for a long time.....I know better than to delete factory installed programs!

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote