Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #1

SUN #9092
HulaLula is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Considering buying a T1661 1988 Sunline Saturn

We are a family of 4 who are happy together and take many road trips in a smaller crossover. We decided this year to head from SC to Niagara Falls. I found a Sunline 1661-T available, and it looks in incredible shape. New fridge, new air, etc. Very clean and tidy. It's $4k but looks to be at the top end of really nice shape. I am unsure how long it really is? Is this 14/15 or 16 feet. Can we really tow it with a ford freestar van, is it too small for a family of 4 (2 adults and a 12 and 13 year old).

Thoughts? Ideas, advice. I am ready to hand over my $$ but wanted to at least ask on here first. Thank in advance.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #2

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the tow rating of van?

I personally think it would be a little tight with 4 people, but doable. I read on here somewhere that the bunk is rated for 100 lbs.

You can download the brochure in the files section.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #3

SUN #9092
M1661-T Sunline purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
What's the tow rating of van? 3500 pounds

I personally think it would be a little tight with 4 people, but doable. I read on here somewhere that the bunk is rated for 100 lbs. Yes we found that after I posted this, we figured we could maybe stabilize that somehow. We live in a tiny house and drive a tiny car (we sound like clowns! LOL) so this shouldn't be an issue. Biggest problem is that the dealership apparently sold it - the guy I was talking to didn't tell the other guy and ... there you have it. Anyway, so now we really want one of these. Anyone else selling this model???

You can download the brochure in the files section.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

SUN #3385
steve59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the club HulaLula.I reposted a 2006 Sunlne that I found on craigslist. Oswego NY. is up near Syracuse. I know it would be drive but may be well worth it.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

SUN #9092
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
Welcome to the club HulaLula.I reposted a 2006 Sunlne that I found on craigslist. Oswego NY. is up near Syracuse. I know it would be drive but may be well worth it.
I will look. The one I was hoping to buy was just amazing I am gutted.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

SUN #8414
GalacticSton is an unknown quantity at this point
I own a 1983 T1661. I like it. But, it might be a bit cramped for more than two people. My wife and I have plenty of space, but I wouldn't try to full-time with a family of four in it. It would be fine for camping trips, but if you intend to stay in it for long periods of time, you might consider something a little bigger if your tow vehicle can handle it. One good thing about the T1661, it's easy to tow. I have a F150 with a small V8 and I barely know it's back there when I am towing it.

It measures just shy of 17 feet from tip of tongue to bumper. And the camper box itself is about 13.5 feet. So, the living space is basically that 13.5' cube on the trailer frame.

Tags
camping, family, small camper, sunline 1661-t