Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Common sense and the Flying J dump station..

We stopped at the Flying J, near Winchester, VA last week. We were there to get fuel and ended up behind a 5th wheel from PA. The fuel island we were at, had a dump station on the opposite side of the fuel pump. The 5th wheel pulled up to the pump and proceeded to dump their holding tanks.

Keep in mind, that there were a lot of people in line for fuel at all of the fuel islands and the wait time was 10-15 minutes for everyone.

When they were done, they pulled over to the RV parking area. When I was done fueling and on my way out, we passed them. I stopped and very politely let them know that the dump station was accessible and designed for use, on the other side of the island they were at. We were promptly blown-off and they went on inside.

It's people like them, that help give us RV'ers a bad reputation. A little common sense on their part, would have gone a long way. I wouldn't have had a problem, if they had fueled up at the same time. They did not.

Any time I have used that same dump station, it was from the other side.

Gary

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #2

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
As usual, we didn't even know about these things, Gary - so thanks for advice. And with everybody's advice/comments about everything else, we are learning proper etiquette and what to look for.

Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Alice,

The "island" in question has a fuel pump with only one nozzle, that is located off center so you kinda know which side of the island to pull up to so you can use it. Same for the dump hole, it IS also located off center so it sorta indicates that you would use it from the other side of the island. IF you are getting fuel & need to dump & have enuff sewer hose you can do both at one time.

Ideally, what this rv'er "should" have done was approach the dump/fuel island from the side that is basically for dumping only, this would have allowed another rv'er to fuel their rig while the other one was dumping their tanks.

Granted, new RV'ers might not know this procedure, but it was just the way the guy shrugged Gary off. Sorta like "I know it all and you can't tell me anything".

Definately NOT a Sunline owner

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

SUN #809
ihsolutions
Last time I visited one of these, the whole place was relatively empty, EXCEPT for the old guy in his Jeep Cherokee at the RV pump, sans RV. There were at least 10 regular gas pumps he could have used, in the regular fueling area. Not only did he block the only RV lane while he fueled, he then proceeded to walk inside the store, do a whole bunch of shopping, and then come back out and get into his car. I also made a comment, politely, and was told that he didn't see what the difference was. The difference, I replied, was 15 minutes of my time wasted.
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

SUN #953
Ron & Alice
thanks for the explanation Kitty. As I said, now we know...

And of course he would not be a Sunline Owner, or part of this group, because WE all know better, lol (or are quickly learning).

I am a Red Hat lady, and I quickly learned that just because a lady puts a big red hat on her head, does not automatically make her a nice person. I try to remember that always.
Ron & Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #6

SUN #115
emam
I've witnessed that a few times myself

My worst sight to see, one that made me just turn around and leave even though I needed to empty the holding tanks too, was some guy who pulled up to the dump station, proped the lid of the dump station open with a block and proceeded to open his black tank without a hose on it

Cindy almost threwup in the passenger seat, and I just threw the truck in reverse and pulled out.

Who empties their tank without a hose????? Heck, a hose costs a total of $10 at Wally World!! If you dont have a sewer hose and you see our coach, come ask me and I'll let you borrow one of ours!

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #7

SUN #736
Stan47
Update on us

Quote:
Originally Posted by emam
...some guy who pulled up to the dump station, proped the lid of the dump station open with a block and proceeded to open his black tank without a hose on it
Yuck! What would possess someone to do that? Had to have made a nasty mess on the trailer as well as where he had to stand to close things up.

Just lately I am seeing people do the lamest stuff in filling stations. Heading back from Queen Anne yesterday I had to stop for gas. Every pump position occupied, but about half of them by people who were not pumping gas. I pulled in behind one guy who was obviously finished. He sat in his car farting with something for a good five minutes. The person in front of him finally left, and as I started to pull around this guy, he starts up, blocks me from doing that as he moves on and finally occupies a parking space at the c-store. Whereupon he goes inside and spends close to ten minutes buying a single donut. If I hadn't been in uniform (and therefore identifiable), it mighta gotten ugly.

I've driven the teensy HHR nearly 2,000 miles now. I tell people it was put together with what was left over from the Suburban, although the 'Burb did not have a single undamaged body panel. It is still very weird filling up the tank and having the total be only around 13 gallons. The 31 mpg consumption is handy, but I sure do miss my monster truck. To say nothing of the 299SR.

Still no sign of Annie. We are sending flyers to all the gun shops within about 30 miles of the crash, hoping for another sighting, even if it's only a dead body.

And no progress as to what we are going to buy as a replacement RV.

On the good side, the surgeon completely released me on 9 December, saying there was nothing I could do that would risk re-injuring what he'd repaired. I went back to work on 12 November, which was my 62d birthday. The guys I work with seem so much more cordial than before the wreck.

Now, if only this snow would stop falling.

Stan & Peg
Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Re: Update on us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan47
I sure do miss my monster truck. To say nothing of the 299SR.

Still no sign of Annie. We are sending flyers to all the gun shops within about 30 miles of the crash, hoping for another sighting, even if it's only a dead body.

And no progress as to what we are going to buy as a replacement RV.

On the good side, the surgeon completely released me on 9 December, saying there was nothing I could do that would risk re-injuring what he'd repaired. I went back to work on 12 November, which was my 62d birthday. The guys I work with seem so much more cordial than before the wreck.

Now, if only this snow would stop falling.

Stan & Peg
Stan and Peggy,

That's great news about your release Stan! We still haven't had any luck, finding Annie either. I also haven't had any luck, getting a look at the Suburban. I have no idea why they are so anal about it.

As for the 299SR... With 10 broken roof trusses, no interior walls, very little siding on the right side, no slide in place, 22" of snow on the roof and 20-25MPH winds.... It is still holding up! Every time we try to work on it, the weather dictates otherwise.

For a replacement RV, I would now highly recommend the 2005 Sunline F-293SR. There is one at Endless Summer RV, in Frederick, MD. We bought the F-311SR Thursday and it's a world of difference, compared to towing a TT.

Gary

Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

SUN #736
Stan47
Interesting idea Gary.

I will start collecting Social Security next year, and combined with my bugling income maybe we could swing a fiver and TV.

Think it'd be easier to shoehorn one into my parking pad?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan47
Think it'd be easier to shoehorn one into my parking pad?
Speaking from very limited experience, I would have to say yes. The pivot point is much further forward. Jeff says otherwise though. I plan on getting a lot more experience in the near future, so I can report back then!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #11

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
From my limited experience too, I'd say it is easier. Imagine backing a trailer something like a Hummer, with a very small rear axle to hitch distance.

To make a turn, such as backing up, I think it will take more time to react to a turn. Since your pivot point is over the axle, you have no rear overhang to "throw" the trailer over to the side you want it to go. You will actually have to get the truck to move as much as you want the trailer to move. Say you turn the wheels all the way one way and back up two feet. With your trailer/Burb, the front of the trailer would probably move over (in the front) about two feet. With a FW, it'll be about half that or less. You'll have to move the truck around more. The nice thing is you can basically take the truck a little over 90 degrees if necessary, so you can make turns easier because you have a much larger turning range. You could turn the trailer on a dime if you wanted to, something you could never do with a TT.

I think it might take you a little farther to turn a corner for identical length trailers with a FW because that overhang doesn't pull the trailer out farther and away from the turn. I think this difference would be so small that you wouldn't notice it much though.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #12

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Jon, you described the backing up turn well. I’ll add a little of why to back up your findings.

When towing on the ball hitch, the ball in many cases is some 65” behind the rear axle. When you crank the steering wheel and move the TV a short distance, the tow ball being so far back magnifies the distance the tow ball pivot point moves. So the TT front end moves a lot for a small amount of TV front end movement. On a 5th wheel the pivot point (king pin) is a whopping 2 or 4” in front of the rear axle. The TV has to shift the entire back of the truck over in order to get the kin pin to move left or right

And yes the full 90 degree turning of a 5th wheel has it’s advantage where a ball hitch can be limited in the 65 to 70 degree range before the hitch breaks.

The Pullrite hitch for a TT works like the 5th wheel king pin. The pivot point is only 4 to 6 inches away from the back axle. And they offer 90 degree turning hitches.

Now there is also the distance from tow ball to TT axles or king pin to 5er axles. When I went from the T2499 to the T310SR and the Suburban (that even had rear wheel steering) I had to learn all over again how to pick my back up point. You have to drive some 4 feet past the camp site then back up. When I went to the F350, long wheel base, I had to drive about 8 feet past the camp site then do a full crank it and back up.

The learning is getting use to the distance changes and reaction times. The old saying, practice makes perfect totally applies here….

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #13

SUN #736
Stan47
All things considered, it might be more effective for me to tear down the garage and use its floor for a parking pad. I could always put up an inexpenive shed on the current parking pad, although that would be a waste, since we paid something like $24/square foot to build a pad that was permeable and would support at least 8,000 pounds.

To explain this well, I'd need a JohnB-quality diagram, and I don't have exact measurements. Best short explanation of the space is that Gary and Kitty were astounded that the T299 got around that corner.

Most realistically I suspect we're going to end up buying a class C MH. After that wreck, I'm just not certain I can "get back on the horse" with towing.

Stan