Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Choosing a GPS

Despite having a Garmin GPS on the boat and using the unit all the time, we've resisted buying one for the car. Now we are rethinking that and are looking for advice/recommendations on choosing a unit. We are open to brand but want one that is updatable via the Internet using our PC and a USB cable.

TIA!

Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Diane & Marshall

We have a Garmin StreetPilot 330 and a nuvi 255 and like them both.
Garmin provides free software upgrades to both via the internet and USB cable.

However you have to purchase map upgrades.

We just got the nuvi 255 and Garmin provided 1 free map upgrade but you had to use the updated within 2 months of when the unit initially acquires satalites.

Both provide the capability to download custom POIs to the unit from your PC using the USB Cable.

I downloaded and installed a POI Loader program from the Garmin web site that I accessed & found on the POI Factory web site. This POI Loader is sepcific to Gramins and works great for dowloading custom POIs to both of our Garmins.
I also downloaded many of the custom POI files from the POI Factory web site.

I’ve also made my own custom POI files, they’re just simple 3-4 column csv files that can be easily made using Excel or a similar spreadsheet program that gives you the capability to save the file as a csv file. Column organization for custom POIs is Long; Lat; Name; (I put a 4th column for full address & phone number – this information is displayed on my StreetPilot but not on the nuvi).

We like the Gramins and are happy with them. Which model to get is dependent on your price range and the features you want. We picked up the nuvi 255 at BJs for a little over $100 on sale. Then there’s the novi 465 that runs for around $400 (mabe more), has a lot more features, many which are applicable to RVers. So, as I’m sure you know, there’s a wide price range and features.

When traveling I still do not rely 100% on the Garmin - I still like my paper maps. But I have grown to appreciate the information it provides and it has helped when finding a campground when we are close and are on local roads.

When using our Garmin to help find the campground, I rely more on the custom POIs that I've created and have verified the Lat & Long using a MapQuest Lat-Long site.

I can't comment on any of the other brands, because I've never used them, nor do I know anyone that has one.

Hope this is of some help.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #3

SUN #19
Sunline1
I can basically echo what Hutch said about the Garmin I have the 255W which is the same basically as his, but the wider screen.

I got it right before Christmas and haved played around with it locally as well as a few short trips and it seams to do everything fine.

I was having a problem registering my Garmin online and called Garmin CS, had to wait about 15 mins till I got a person but it was well worth the wait. That's one of the reasons I bought a Garmin was I "Thought" I heard that they have pretty good CS, and I think their products are certainly at least as good, as all others IMO.

As Hutch indicated the POI factory has quite a varity of free POI's, which I will adding, at some point in the not too distant future.

Good luck in you decision.

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #4

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Just noticed that Amazon has the TomTom XL330S for $88.
Seems like a pretty good price for this model.
DW has one, and she is happy with it.
Roar
Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #5

SUN #778
I see eCOST.com selling the Garmin 255W for $97 and the Magellan RoadMate 1440 for $75.99.
My father-in-law has a Garmin, and my son has a Magellan, both less advanced models, but they do a good job, so these prices look pretty good.
Roar
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #6

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's something to watch out for. Mine will find the quickest route and not necessarily the better road when traveling in the mountains. It will take us on roads where I would rather not take a trailer in tow when there is an alternative which may be a longer ride but a better road. Do any ignore secondary roads or even dirt roads? That would be a nice feature for RV'ers.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #7

SUN #778
pwb01,
I am not that intimately familiar with the Magellan and Garmin, but my TomTom 920 does have an option to avoid unpaved roads.
Roar
Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #8

SUN #19
Sunline1
My Garmin 255w has an option to ignore dirt roads as well.

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #9

SUN #778
I just noticed in the Kmart flyer that came with the Sunday paper, they are selling a TomTom XL330S for $69.99.
Seems like a good price. DW has one, and she is pretty happy with it.
Roar
Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #10

SUN #1406
aac1431 is an unknown quantity at this point
We have a Tom-Tom and are pretty satisfied with it. You get one map update to use with-in a year and after that you pay. but they do offer a quarterly update program that is less than a map upgrade (although the catch is you have to have the latest map to sign up for the program) since they throw in two quarters for free. You can also select alternate routes if you don't like the first one, avoid toll roads, etc. I heard their maps were not as good as the others but we never had a problem.