Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #1

SUN #708
jotack
camping question

Has any one here ever camped near cape cod, marthas vineyard or the surrounding area. My wife and I were thinking about taking a trip to that area next summer and wondered if thats a good idea. If any one has any suggestions for the area or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #2

SUN #492
GhettoMedic
My brother (Mooney) has camped at Bourne scenic park many times and really enjoys it. It is on the mainland side of the bridge so less traffic but right on the canal and quick access to bridge onto the Cape. I am sure he will chime in soon.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...9/mycamper.jpg
GhettoMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #3

SUN #708
jotack
Even though we live in pa, we have never traveled any further north than newyork. From the research we've been doing it looks like that area would be a very nice vacation.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Eastham, MA

We've stayed In Eastham, MA at Atlantic Oaks RV Park, 25 miles from Provincetown. We stayed there because it opened early in April and is central to the cape. We generally avoid Cape Cod in the summer due to the enormous crowds prefering most places pre or post summer.

Hope this helps,

Norm and Ginny Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #5

SUN #708
jotack
We were thinking about the end of may for our trip, do you think that would be a very crouded time?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #6

SUN #292
May

May and September are usually beautiful months but watch out for Memorial Day weekend, cottage opening weekend.

Norm
Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #7

SUN #382
Mooney
Ahh...the Cape. Very nice to visit, a complete PITA to drive on.....Don't try to turn left across Route 28- the main thoroughfare. It's easier to turn right, go down a bit, and turn around....NOBODY likes to wait for ya. Ever.

As for camping, it all depends upon what part(s) of the Cape you wish to visit. On the mainland side, which would make "On Cape" a day trip, there are many options I like.

I am running WAY far behind on my CG reviews for this summer, but I will get them up ASAP while cybercamping this winter.

1) Scusset Beach State Reservation- no fires allowed in the main RV area, but a beautiful beach and easy access to SR 3, which will let you get to Boston, Plymouth, or the Cape (over the Sagamore bridge) easily.

2) Bourne Scenic Park- built by the Army Corps of Engineers, owned by the town of Bourne. Located just off SR6 near SR25 at the foot (and under) the Bourne Bridge (the western of the two bridges) it also offers quick access to the Cape, and somewhat better access to the island ferries ( big $$ to take a trailer there...). It is located along the canal bike route and you get to see many ocean-going vessels using the canal. Also offers UNBELIEVABLE Striper fishing, right out of the canal.

3) Ellis Haven Family CG, Plymouth, MA- come visit us here over Memorial Day Weekend (we'll be in site 55). A bit louder than some of the others in the area, E.H. is a fun place to be over the holiday weekend.

4) Indian Head Resort, Plymouth, MA- A nice, QUIET, ADULT-oriented park- posted rules for this one on SR 3A just South of Plimoth Plantation (a recreation of life in the 1600s- really neat) include several signs that state "NO RAP MUSIC" and "NO HIP-HOP". Yes, really. Relaxing, yes. Organized activities, pools, game rooms- not so much. There are horseshoes, volleyball, and basketball- along with boat rentals, swimming, and fishing in the pond. They also require you to buy their firewood (reasonably priced though) which they will deliver to your site.

NOTE: This particular CG has one heck of a hill leading up to some of the sites- high clearance, torque, and horsepower recommended. There are alternate areas available of you lack that- Ask for something along Wampanoag (Wahm- puh- nogg) Street or Squanto (Skwan- toe) Street.

5) Sandy Pond Campground, Plymouth, MA is nice, clean, and quiet. BIG sites too, easy access to touristy things.

ON CAPE,

6) Nickerson State Park in Brewster is about halfway down the cape, near Route 124 is REALLY nice- I have never camped here, but I have heard wonderful things about it. It is undergoing an major improvement now, with better water and power for the campsites.

7) Sweetwater Forest CG is also near Nickerson, but is more than somewhat in need of a facelift- I have reviewed this one in the "NORTHEAST" section of the forum's CG review area. Although it has been in business for a long time, it is badly showing its age, the sites are cramped, and it is NOT low-clearance or long wheelbase friendly.

I cannot stress enough how bad the map is for this campground- We were dang lucky that we have a short-length coach, and equally lucky that I know exactly what I am doing- this place was tight (especially when we followed the directions we were told and ended up in the tent area....BAD, BAD, BAD.

Feel free to drop me an email, or keep an eye on the Northeast area reviews, once you decide what types of things you would like to see while you are in the area. There are a ton of historical things, educational opportunities, places on the seacoast, activities, touristy things, and so on, to take advantage of- This post could go on for hours...and hours.

Not that I'm long-winded or anything
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #8

SUN #708
jotack
Thank you for the nice replies. We are thinking about trying to camp centraly to all of the attractions. My wife especially wants to vist martha's vineyard while we are there. We dont want to camp there because of the high price of the ferry, but want to visit for the day. We also would like to see the other towns and attractions while we are there, just have to figure out the best plan for doing so.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #9

SUN #382
Mooney
Are you lifted or low (Sunline height)?

Sweetwater is very centrally located, but the roads are tight and hilly...

This one looks good, and is pretty well located:

http://www.sippewissett.com/index.html

Check out more links here:

http://www.capelinks.com/cape-cod/ma...camping-areas/

Once you figure how long you wish to visit, and where you want to go, it should be pretty easy to locate somewhere within a decent drive to anywhere good.

Provincetown is beautiful, just remember to bring extra memory and batteries for the cameras. Some of the rumors are true as to the "residents", but everyone's pretty cool down there, and there's lots of neat shops and restaurants near the beach.

Unlike PA, you can drive (with little traffic) from one end of the Cape to the other in about 1.5 hours, on local roads. It's as little as it looks on a map
Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #10

SUN #708
jotack
My sunline is very low. We actually just bought it a few months ago and didnt even get to go camping with it yet. Weve been cleaning it up and doing some repairs to it to get it ready for next year. We have a year round site in mount union pa but want to do some traveling also, so the trip to Ma will be the maiden voyage. We are really looking forward to the trip. About the camper being low, the black water tank had a crack in the discharge pipe when I bought it and leaving the guys driveway I put a hole in it. Im going to repair it and am actually going to fabricate a skid plate for it out of steel. Do you think I would have trouble in the area you were talking about?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #11

SUN #382
Mooney
Just stay away from Sweetwater Forest CG. There are a lot of other ones available, most of which don't have potential clearance issues.

Once you get used to the ground clearance, or lack thereof, you'll be able to judge where to put the coach when manuevering. For the most part, Cape Cod is relatively flat- especially in the Hyannis/ Falmouth/ Mashpee area which is where you are likely to find yourselves making your stay.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #12

SUN #385
Hematite
The ride up to the Cape will be a real "shakedown" cruise. The Mass. Pike is a pretty rough interstate. We were up in Maine not long ago and the Pike and especially 495 is NOT a particularly pleasant ride.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM   #13

SUN #292
I 495/Mass Pike/I95

The main issue on these roads is 'work time traffic'. The traffic is heavy and fast, really fast particularly on 495, you'd think it was Montana instead of state with almost the population density of India. Generally the road surfaces are fine.

Our Sunline has very little clearance but we've only had problems getting on a ferry once. Of course one must be careful on driveway transitions.

Norm Milliard
1982 Sunline 15.5 SB
2004 Honda CRV
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #14

SUN #708
jotack
We would be traveling on friday evening and saturday, maybe that will make a difference in trafic? If not hammer down
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #15

SUN #720
Barry and Darby H
Campsite

Jotack,
We live up here in Acushnet Ma. and we are quite apt to visit Jellystone/maple park in wareham which is only about 15 miles from the cape and on the good side of the traffic. It's a little pricey but a very nice campground. Check Jellystone/ Cape Cod website, we've always enjoyed our stay there, nice manmade pond for swimming, clean facilities and friendly staff. Very family friendly. Lots of little extras for kids if you have any and good stuff for the adults if you don't. If I can answer any questions, by all means, don't hesitate to ask. Happy Camping !
Barry
Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #16

SUN #708
jotack
Jellystone park is actually one of the first camp grounds I found on the internet. It looked very nice and I wondered about it. Is it a very active camp ground or is it quiet? Also I just want to say I really appreciate how helpful everyone is being. Thanks
Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #17

SUN #720
Barry and Darby H
Jellystone is fairly quiet most of the time. Saturday nights in the summer they usually have a dance (band or DJ on the beach) but unless your close by I doubt very much it would bother you.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #18

SUN #382
Mooney
The issue with Jellystone (aside from off Cape) is its management. I have a VERY good friend who is seasonal there, and we have stayed here a few times to visit them-

The electric is spotty at best, and the water pressure is quite low, especially on Sunday mornings. By the electric being spotty, I mean that one minute you will be fine, and the next your breaker lets go because you're running your microwave and there is no longer current enough to keep it up (even plugged into 30 amp).

The managment (or mis-) has dragged out the promised repairs to the electric and water, along with the water park (supposed to open a couple years ago), the laundry (same thing- promised long ago and still not done), they were supposed to add a LOT of sites (and cleared some land to make the Jellystone inspectors happy, but added nada), and they have working cranberry bogs, which, during the camping season, they spray down with pesticides during the evening hours, with the spray blowing about in the wind. The bogs aren't even fenced in, so kids are often found wandering around on the bogs...in the chemicals... the owner got in trouble with the town for selling sand off the property without permits, and so on.

The last time we went there, we were surprised with an "electric power surcharge" that we were told we had to pay, IN CASH, before we were allowed in. This being 630 pm in the summer, what choice do you really have to make? Of course you're going to pay it (eventually got my money back through Jellystone Corporate)- are you really going to wander around looking for another CG that has a spot? And lose your deposit in the meantime?

The electric is so bad there that the game room games are often burning out (I met the guy who owns them- not CG owned) due to the fluctuating electric power- and that's IN the lodge!

I would be surprised if they kept the Jellystone affilliation much longer, there have been numerous complaints (including ours) of their stuff.

It is an alright place, but we will not be going back. Ellis Haven or Sandy Pond get our votes if you want to stay in that area, just off-Cape.

Jellystone/ Maple Park will NEVER see another cent from us.

As for travelling to the Cape, get there before 3 pm Friday, and you'll be OK, after that, Route 495 bogs down badly just south of exit 7 (right lane ends, keep to middle or left near exit 7). The Mass Pike/ I90 and Route 495 have gone through major repairs this year, and are much, much better than they were just a few months ago. There are still some serious potholes in the Pike (I-90), but you can avoid them if you are driving reasonably. Expect traffic in the 70+ mph (closer to 75/ 80), but they leave you alone pretty well if you're pulling along in the right lane.

Be EXTREMELY cautious at every on-ramp, as the morons here in this state have no concept of "Yield" or "Stop", and will often drive down the breakdown lane to try to get ahead of you instead of slowing and falling in line behind you. If you just drive chill, and let them all do their thing, you'll be fine- I log over 100K miles or so per year in MA, and rarely have an issue, even pulling trailers up to 48'.

Also, don't expect to see to many state police units- they're usually dealing with accidents or sleeping....so bring a cell phone and GPS in case you need help. Send me a PM for my number, I know most of the state really well, and can offer directions and advice all the time. I'm usually up from 3 am to 930 pm....
Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #19

SUN #382
Mooney
woops, double tap....