Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #1

SUN #225
Mark
Book on Auto Manufacturing/Mass Production (Winter Reading)

I cannot more highly recommend this book, especially if you are interested in some history of the Big Three:

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Factory.../dp/1438952937

While this book is about Ford, I don't think it matters which manufacturer---they were all the same, according to the author's feedback from readers and their comments (workers form GM and Chrysler).

Personal Note:
I was so impressed with the book (recommended by Car and Driver) that I e-mailed the author. It turns out he was born nearby, in the town where I was born---and lived in Western Pennsylvania for his first 20 years or so of his life.

I imagine there are some parallels to RV manufacturing as well.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #2

SUN #115
emam
Thanks for the recommendation Mark. A few other forums I frequent have a sticky thread titled something like What are you Reading? or Books You'd Recommend

Might be a good idea to start one on here too.

I'm always looking for the next book to read.

If you havent read these yet, check out

3 Cups of Tea - Highly recommended and is becoming required Reading for all military and school children to understand what we're dealing with in the Middle East, but not about the politics of it at all

The Shack - Religious or Not, this book is an eye opener. Read this in a single sitting because of how good it was

The Reapers Line - I've recommended this to dozens of people and all have told me how much they enjoyed it. Grabs you from the first chapter and holds you till last one. Both Cindy and I read this book in a single sitting, which meant we spent about 8 hours with our noses in the pages

Dumb Things Sold Just Like That - History of the RV Industry - This book was amazing and talks about all the big names in the RV industry in the early days and how they got started.

Links to all of them can be found here on our Book Review Page

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #3

SUN #225
Mark
I should probably mention to all that this is NOT a book where the Union is entirely blamed. Its also NOT a book where the Company is entirely blamed.
No wasted time on 'us' versus 'them'.

However, you will see that the "Henry Ford" mentality greatly affected the treatment of workers and the work procedures as well as standards and practices even into the 80's.

You can read about his motivation here at his website:

http://www.asavagefactory.com/

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #4

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
Re: Book on Auto Manufacturing/Mass Production (Winter Readi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I cannot more highly recommend this book, especially if you are interested in some history of the Big Three:

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Factory.../dp/1438952937

While this book is about Ford, I don't think it matters which manufacturer---they were all the same, according to the author's feedback from readers and their comments (workers form GM and Chrysler).

Personal Note:
I was so impressed with the book (recommended by Car and Driver) that I e-mailed the author. It turns out he was born nearby, in the town where I was born---and lived in Western Pennsylvania for his first 20 years or so of his life.

I imagine there are some parallels to RV manufacturing as well.

My blood runs Ford blue. I'll have to get that book. Where is the author from? I was born and raised in a little place in Beaver County called Hookstown. It's a quaint little town that looks like it is 50 years behind the times.
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

SUN #225
Mark
He was born in McKeesport, PA, but also lived in West Elizabeth, PA.

I will warn you that if you LOVE Fords, this might not be the book for you Ultimately, his self-written history reflect on the 10+ year issue they had with defective transmissions--- which killed over 150 people.

But you have to remember this is a book documenting the real life inside the Sharonville, Ohio transmission plant. It's a not a random commentary by some 3rd party historian, writing for some trade journal.

In my e-mail, I asked him if Ford tried to sue him to stop this book which shows a snippet of their history. He said the lawyers went through all his documents realized he has proof of everything he discusses in the book.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553