Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

SUN #173
luckydc
Bike Racks

Does anyone have any experience using a bike rack on the bumper? I know the bumper is rated at 100 lbs. and I have a spare tire back there now. I saw a rack that goes over the spare tire and am a little hesitent to use it. What does a tire weigh, 50 lbs? So the rack and one bike would be about another 50 lbs.

Thank you.

luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #2

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know what you're saying about the weight. I've seen the same limitations and thought about the same solution. The carrier on the tire isn't all just total weight but the torque you're putting the bumber like a lever as you get further away from the center of the bumber with the bike. It would be quite a bit of torque and could twist the bumber if it is in fact as limited to additional loads as they say. I don't know of a good way to put on a rack yet.

I'm still watching for an inexpensive receiver type hitch that would fit to the frame where I could buy that type of bike carrier. That would also open up the possibility of using one of those platform cargo carriers if needed.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Paul (luckydc),

If you’re thinking about putting a bike rack on the rear bumper I would suggest 2 things:

1. Strengthen the bumper. Do you know a welder? If you don't there's a good chance your bumper will start to break loose over time because of the torque the bike rack puts on the bumper.

2. Get a bike rack that holds bikes by the wheels.
That looks something like this.

or

This type of bike rack will help reduce the torque on the bumper, as Paul (pwb01) indicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01
I'm still watching for an inexpensive receiver type hitch that would fit to the frame where I could buy that type of bike carrier. That would also open up the possibility of using one of those platform cargo carriers if needed.
Paul (pwb01)

Another option other than a full receiver is a bumper bracket. Not sure if you’ve considered this. You’ll still need to strengthen the bumper considerable.

Blue Ox Bumper Bracket
~$46 through RV Toy Outlet

Or this

~$64 at RV Toy Store

I’m not sure what the cost difference would be between the purchase and installation of a full receiver or the cost to strengthen the bumper and a bumper bracket. It might be worth looking into.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #4

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
100 Pound Limits

It's hard to imagine that the bumber has a 100 pound structural limitation, mine is a steel 4 inch square tube, more structural than the beams that support the rest of the trailer.

I can believe that Sunline wants to limit the torque effect. As long as you do not exceed the load carrying capacity of the trailer, you can to some extent balance the torque effect of the weight on the rear by weight on the front. If the hitch weight is kept constant, there should be little negative effect.

Generally I would not place weighty items a long way from the rear wall.

Strengthening the bumper's connection to the trailer's frame should be easy with a couple of small triangular plates.

Norm
Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #5

SUN #173
luckydc
Thanks, y'all. Not sure how to address this yet. I think I saw hitch extensions somewhere that would allow me to use a bike rack at the receiver. I'll keep looking.

Taking the T-2363 to Alberta, Ca for six weeks. Pysch!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #6

SUN #98
Paul,

Where are you heading in Alberta?

We where there in 03, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper. If you’re heading there, it’s gorgeous country.
Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff I’ve heard is now taking reservations. When we were there it was always first come first served and you had to get there early to get a full hook-up site.

Have a safe and fun trip.
Hutch
Old 08-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #7

SUN #173
luckydc
Hutch:

That is where I am headed. Going to Kootenay in BC and Glacier, MT as well. Looking forward to it.

I am not to worried about getting into TM or LL camgrounds because schools will be back in soon, which is one of the reasons I travel in late August and September.

I am wondering if I should stay in LL or TM full time or if I should stay in each some. It appears LL is a bit to far from Banff for more than a day trip ot two at most and there is plenty to see in Banff. I am also worried about LL not having full hook-ups, with only 24 gallon grey and black tanks. I plan on hanging around that area for 10 days or so. Heading up to Jasper as well. Whistlers Mt.

Anything that stands out in your memory as a must see/do, I would like to know.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #8

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
The torque by itself is indeed to be considered, and also the long term affects of the constant bouncing of the load. Those are not particularly high grade welds and could fail from fatigue over time. That may be why the bumper has that 100 lb load limit. Reinforcing it would be a very good idea to carry the added load of a rack and bikes.

If you are going to be in the area of Great Falls, Montana you should stop to visit the museum at Malmstrom Air Force Base and also the Lewis and Clark center there. I posted some photos of the area on an album on the photos page.

Paul
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #9

SUN #173
luckydc
Thanks, Paul.

I was out there yesterday and noticed that the welds indeed are not that strong. I think I'll have to for go any ideas of carrying the bike back there.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #10

SUN #98
Luckydc,

I would suggest stying at both TM & LL. Yoiu have a good point about no full hook-ups at LL.

If you get a chance drive the Ice Fields Highway between LL & Jasper.

Hutch
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #11

SUN #10
wagonman76
Wow, great idea about supporting the bikes from below. Ive been contemplating building a 5 bike rack for the back of mine (Im an engineer for a metal fab shop). But I want to keep it as light and strong as possible, and be able to leave the spare tire in place and be able to access it easily if necessary. I had a nice plan drawn up, but I like this idea better.

Ill I attach to the back 16" of the frame with structural angle, attached with grade 8 bolts. Then all I need is to make something that will keep the bikes separated at the top (foam blocks sounds good) and a ratchet strap or two to attach them to the spare tire to keep them from falling over.

Thanks for the inspiration!

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote