Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Any Race Fans?

I'm going to watch the race today. I'm a Tony Stewart fan but It would be great to see Mark Martin win it today.

What other kinds of racing do you like. I follow a bunch. F1, WRC, IRL(a little), NHRA, Trucks, Off Road...

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
We like NASCAR here, too. My wife is a fan of who ever is driving the M&M car; currently Kyle Busch. I don't have a personal favorite, but have great interest in Smoke and Ryan Newman and their new team.

I am hoping that our retirement gift to ourselves will be to take the Sunline to some of the big tracks.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #3

SUN #62
rich2500
I'm a Nascar fan,I follow all three series of nascar,I was a Jarrett fan but now that he retired I'm a Kyle Bush fan,he had one of the cars to beat today but that wreck took him out,I was glad to see Kenseth win it though.
01 F-250 V-10 4x4 Lariat supercab SB auto 4:30 LS
draw-tite 1200# trunnion wd,friction sway control,prodigy
happy camping Rich,Maryellen,Josh and Jake
https://www.campingpa.com/
rich2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #4

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2500
I'm a Nascar fan,I follow all three series of nascar,I was a Jarrett fan but now that he retired I'm a Kyle Bush fan,he had one of the cars to beat today but that wreck took him out,I was glad to see Kenseth win it though.
Kinda tarnished Junior's image a bit..... But, yeah, Kenseth is good.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #5

SUN #225
Mark
It was not a good way to start the season. Not good for ratings either.

Hope the season gets better from here.....

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #6

SUN #406
chuck & lori
I watched Lance in his first comeback race at the Tour of Caliafornia this weekend. It concludes next Sunday. I felt bad for the riders today-107 miles in rain and 45 degrees. I would rather ride than watch, but this time of year riding is not an option most days.
I don't follow auto racing as much as I used to. In the 70's I went to the F1 race in Canada one year (Mosport north of Toronto) and was at the Glen the year Mario won the F1 drivers championship (77). Also saw Paul Newman race in Trans Am at Nelsons Ledges in that time period. Had a chance to see the Indy cars at Mid Ohio last year, but got called into work the night shift Saturday night. Had to skip the race Sunday I am glad to see CART and IndyCar finnaly got back together. Neither one was as good as CART before the split. Looking forward to Mid Ohio this year. My buddy, who sells tires, gets free VIP passes from Bridgestone/Firestone.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #7

SUN #379
2beagles
It's always disappointing to go through all the hype before the race and have it end due to rain. I completely understand the reasons behind the decision, but it's still disappointing. The way these races are these days, the rael racing doesn't happen until the last ten laps. At bunch of guys were hanging back until then.
I'm the same as Rich in that I was a Dale Jarrett fan and haven't really adpoted anyone else since he retired. I'm leaning toward Mark Martin this year, because he's overdue for the championship and this might be his best shot. Plus I've gotta root for the old guy against all the kids in the sport now!
We're gonna take the coach to New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Sept for the Sprint Cup race. We didn't take it last year because of a vacation mix up, so this will be our first camp out at a race with the Sunline. I used to hitchhike with my friend to Watkins Glen back in the '70's and tent camp at the track for the F1 and Can Am races, but haven't done that since.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #8

SUN #132
Makers Mark
I too was a regular at Watkins Glen.. Many memories of the long course of F1 and Can Am. Here is a great site for all those people who know what the "Bog" is: http://www.glenphotos.com/memories/
MM
2015 Rockwood 2608WS (SOB)
SUN # 132
Makers Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #9

SUN #379
2beagles
Ah yes! The Bog...
A lot of cars met their fiery end in the bog.
I'd forgotten all about it!

That's a great site, BTW. Thanks for the link!

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #10

SUN #264
Oh Boy, you guys are making me feel real old. I still have my white "Race Communications Association" uniforms from working the Glen all during the '70's. I flagged for a couple of years and then moved over to ambulance and rescue. For some of the small SCCA events, they could not let the cars out on the track until there was an EMT in the ambulance, and that was usually me. For the big events, I was just one of dozens of medical volunteers, but it still got me anywhere I wanted to go on the track.

Jay, thanks for pointing out that site!

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #11

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
When I was a kid I camped there with my dad and a bunch of his buddies. We camped in the curve before the cars went down into the boot. That was 79 and they ran the can-am and a 12 hour race. I remember Paul Newman was driving then. I remember the police lined up at "the bog".

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #12

SUN #83
Both2Retired
NASCAR Fans

My wife is the big NASCAR fan in our family. I like NASCAR also, but not to the extent of her. In late May we're going to Charlotte, NC and camping thursday through monday for the Coca Cola 500 race and then doing the same thing in the Poconos for the PA 500 race in late July. These dry dock camping experiences are so much fun. You meet so many different people from all "walks" of life. In my opinion, 99% of NASCAR fans are friendly, respectful people, having a good time, and cheering for their favorite driver. In our case, Jeanne cheers for Bobby Labonte (#96) and I root for Dale Earnhart, Jr (#8.
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi
5-speed auto
Both2Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #13

SUN #379
2beagles
Back in the late '60's when I was stiil in high school, I wrote occasional articles for the local paper down in Westhampton, NY. Some of the subjects were the races at Bridgehampton Race Circuit. I'd get press passes to the Trans Am and Can Am races when they were held at the track, and wander the pits mingling with my heroes, Bruce McLaren, John Surtees, Jim Hall, Parnelli Jones, Mark Donohue, and my all time favorite Dan Gurney. They'd all just hang out in the paddock and shoot the bull with whomever came by.
The first race I attended there was the Vanderbilt Cup sports car race that was the precursor to the Can Am. Jerry Grant won the race that weekend driving for Dan Gurney's AAR team. That was a different type of racing than what we see now. The drivers were just starting to wear driving suits which were far from fire retardant, and any of the drivers who actually survived to retirement were considered extremely lucky.
The next year, Denis Hulme won the pole for the Can Am race, and his reward was a case of Glen Livet scotch! Lots of great memories from back then. One day I'll dig out my old photos of those races and scan and post them.
Not sure exactly where they are...

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #14

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Yes all the drivers back then seemed more assessable to the fans. You could meet many just going through the garage areas. We would love to go in the middle of the night before race day and see who was still scrambling. Many times we would be able to meet and greet very famous drivers who were always willing to sign autographs without getting paid for it. We once saw James Hunt talking to crew members and he came over to us just to say hello. You have to realize that James was the heart throb of a good majority of the woman @ Watkins Glen and he came over to talk to us (of course none of the woman believed us). Jackie Stewart was explaining his ride to the mechanics and later came over to a crowd of us and asked if we had any questions. Someone asked him what was his greatest performance of which he replied in his Scottish bough, “you will have to ask my wife Helen.” Jackie was one of my favorites as well as the Tyrrell team. Good memories and sad like the year (74?) François Cevert died when he flew off the track at top of the esses. Helmut Koining losing his life at the boot hitting the Armco hard. I also remember the helmets design was the best identification of the drivers. Jackie Stewart had the Scottish Plaid. Tony Adamoscowitz (sp?) was TONY A to Z. I used to know them all but I am drawing a blank now. Anybody remember some? How about the 6 wheel Tyrrell Ford?? Wow is this what flashbacks are?
Jay
SUN # 132
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #15

SUN #379
2beagles
I know Graham Hill's helmet was the design of the London Rowing Club. He also had a big crash at the Glen in '69 when he broke both of his legs.
One of the thing that stuck in my mind from Watkins Glen was sitting on the inside of the exit of the Boot when Jackie Stewart was driving the "Vacuum Cleaner" Chapparral. He'd stand on the gas exiting the corner and he'd very lightly tap the end of the Arco barrier with the rear fender. Exactly the same way, EVERY TIME! He was running away from the field until the vacuum engine broke. I'll never forget that precision driving.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #16

SUN #132
Makers Mark
Not to sound like an old geezer (I am) but 2beagles is absolutely right. The precision driving of the road courses is something to see. (I had completely forgotten about that Capparral.) The road races were many stories onto themselves depending on the location of the track. Each turn, hill or straightaway were taken very precisely. It was the best to be able to walk the full course during practices and time trials to see the difference in each part of the track. (Steve, I am sure I observed you a number of times at what ever corner you worked at the Glen.) I also like to see NASCAR but the F1 (and prototypes) were something special at the Glen. Also what happened in Daytona would not happen on the road course. They would pit for rain tires and continue on. Rain always created different strategies as to the proper tire to run. In fact it was possible to have rain on one part of the track and dry as a bone on another.

Now realizing I have completely hijacked this thread, I not only apologize, but encourage the NASCAR fans to see the Cup cars on a road course. It is definitely a different experience. But then again all NASCAR venues are interesting weather it is the short tracks or super speedways. All are unique. (Didn’t Bill France (International Speedway) buy a part of Watkins Glen??)
Regards,
Jay

SUN # 132