Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Another SOB

Just posted that our 1950 is for sale. The Sunline was our first TT and first foray into camping and we are continuing that with a new TT.

We are buying a Heartland NorthTrail 24RBS. The trailer is about 28 feet long and can be towed by our Expedition with no modifications needed to the TV. We really wanted a larger unit with a queen bed and the Heartland is the closest we would get to Sunline quality and still be able to tow. Per the dealer, the North Trail is in shipment and hopefully it will arrive in MD soon.

We have learned so much from this list and from attending the Buttonwood M&G's. Much as we would love to be at Buttonwood this year, family obligations required us to cancel.

Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

SUN #149
nasa42a
Diane.........

Now that you have made that decision, you have qualified for membership in a rather small sub-grouping in the Sunline Owner's Club: that being the "Sunline Alumni Assn." (Personally, the SOB moniker amuses and doesn't bother me....but some are uncomfortable with it).

Eventually, as Sunlines finally wear out, most of us will end up with "other brands". As much as I have enjoyed our past Sunlines, it is the people in SOC who really make this a unique group....and the reason Sharon and I (and others) stay, and tuck into the "Alumni Assn." category.

Hope to see you at Buttonwood next year!!!!!

Frank

nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the Sunline Alumni Assn.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #4

SUN #213
Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
SOB doesn't bother me either but Sunline Alumni Assn is fine too. And you are right that it is the people on this list who make the list such a wonderful place!
Former 2011 North Trail & 2014 Open Range
Current 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel
Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's certain that with time there will be fewer Sunline owners, however I think the rate might be amazingly slow.

I believe the life of the club still has legs since many owners of old Sunlines, partially due to the unit's base quality, are repaired and improved after their purchase. There are many financial opportunities in a used rig, the extra savings can be used for more travels.

Our rig is now 28 years old and certainly in better condition than when we purchased it. Additionally many of it's characteristics, small size and light weight, will be well suited for future generations as prices for fuel increase, as the size of vehicles is constrained, and as energy is taxed to discourage use.

I think, based upon the direction of many new designs, we will see a generation of more European type solutions, light weight and towable by smaller vehicles. I think designs that are superior to what we see today are the major threat to the Sunline Club, though it will take time. I see many manufacturers using words like light, ultra light, xtra ultra light, green, ....

Yet it is rare to find something that is more than marginally lighter, rare to find steel replaced by aluminum.

It is unfortunate that Sunline is out of business, they might have been a force in the evolution just beginning.

Many of the SOB's seem to move to larger trailers generally requiring larger vehicles, sort of a normal RVer transition, going from small to bigger. Yet I also see many looking for smaller rigs.

Every year a large trailer owner, usually retired people with limited budgets and fine memories of long range travel, approach us about buying our rig.

On the otherhand, my park neighbor has to tow his 5th wheel with a Freightliner (at least he thinks so), they also take the Feightliner to Walmarts. The trip to Walmarts cost $6 for fuel at $3 a gallon (the present price of diesel), at $6 a gallon it will cost $12.

New fleet averages by 2016 need to average 35 mpg compared to today's 25 mpg. SUVs will be moved out of the truck class to the car class putting more pressure on meeting these goals.

Things are changing, yet I think the mere exsistance of the club works to insure that Sunline owners have a path to maintain and improve their rigs simultaneously extending the life of Sunlines and the Sunline Club.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa42a
Diane.........

Now that you have made that decision, you have qualified for membership in a rather small sub-grouping in the Sunline Owner's Club: that being the "Sunline Alumni Assn." (Personally, the SOB moniker amuses and doesn't bother me....but some are uncomfortable with it).

Eventually, as Sunlines finally wear out, most of us will end up with "other brands". As much as I have enjoyed our past Sunlines, it is the people in SOC who really make this a unique group....and the reason Sharon and I (and others) stay, and tuck into the "Alumni Assn." category.

Frank
What? Sunlines wear out?
www.62ford.com/registry

Galaxiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #7

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Before we retired we had never done RVing and were deciding between a trailer and a motorhome. At the time we thought that to buy a trailer ment we'd have to buy a truck to tow it. When we looked into it a truck cost as much as a good used motorhome so we bught a motorhome.

In retrospect we should have bought a trailer. Trailers can literally last forever if you take care of them and are willing to replace some common components. Of course they wear, begin to look a little faded, not unlike me, but it's possible to keep them going forever. WIth a motorhome, when the transmission or engine fail that's really the end of the line.

Safe RVing
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #8

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
We bought the rig shown in our picture below with the idea that it will last us as long as we can drive. We keep it garaged when not in use and I am very careful to do all the required checks and maintenance. This is our second Sunline. The first is a 1998 T2475 which our daughter now owns and has up for sale. It too is in excellent condition.

I thnk the most important things with regard to trailers is proper winterizing and frequent roof and seam inspections and resealing questionable areas. Water leakage will surely kill a good trailer. We see ample evidence of that on this site.

Related to that, my hobby ride is a 1962 Galaxie convertible that looks nearly new. I mow my yard and surrounding field with a 1953 Farmall Super C tractor and plow my garden with a 1948 International Harvester 2 bottom hooked to the Super C. I often fish with my dear old Daddy's Whirlaway rod which I remember him buying in Alliquippa, Pa. in 1957. Oops, I almost forgot, our grand kids have a ball putting nickles in the 1951 Seeburg jukebox in the bassment. If things are cared for, they may darn well last forever.
www.62ford.com/registry

Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #9

SUN #763
MOKID
My wifes grandpa always said, "It's not what you have, It's how you take care of it.". To me that says it all.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #10

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa42a
Diane.........

Frank
Frank

Sunline Alumni Assn or SAA and Sunline Alumni Member SAM sounds GREAT!.

It is unique to our past or present Sunlines and sets us apart from the generic SOB that the rest of the RV world uses.

Since you suggested it, DF5.4 (Doug) seconded it, well I third it! So what’s that mean????

In fact I nominate Frank as the Chapter Founder since he came up with it. You can also have any other position you want…..

Actually I think I recall you maybe being one of our first to move from the Sunline to your Hi Lo and are still very active in our M & G’s and here on the forum. And we are for sure glad you hung with us.

You are correct, it is the people inside the camper that makes Sunline Owners Club the unique group we are. In years to come the numbers of us moving to a new camper or another brand will be more common and they are still very welcome here. Who knows where we will be 5 years from now or where the entire gas/towing situation will be. We take it as it comes and enjoy it and camp together in the mean time.

We also are gaining new members too, fixing up older units or just discovering Sunline for the 1st time. Also very Cool!!!

Camp on

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxiedriver
If things are cared for, they may darn well last forever.
Paul

You are so right about this. My collection of tools and TT repair stuff stems back to my Grandfather. I have some of his tools, a bench saw, hand plane, hand brace and bits and a few other times. I have some tools of my farther who passed away when I was young, brother got some I got the rest. I have some from my Uncle Art whn he passed away, plus I have my own I have been collecting since I was a teenager.

Now that I think about it the bench saw I used last summer to make the cabinet door frame in the camper was my Grandfarthers and at least 65 years old. And it will out last me…. Cast iron top, heavy bearings etc. I only added a new motor this spring.

So yes good things taken care of and maintained can last a life time or 2 or 3. My things will go to my 2 kids and then they will use them some more.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #12

SUN #254
Galaxiedriver
John, sounds like we have a lot more in common than Sunlines. One of my favorite machines is my Grandfather's Strunk chain saw. He purchased it in the early 1950s for our farm in Beaver County, Pa. My brother in Washington DC had it for years then he retired and moved into a mobile home. He passed it to me. It is a monster to work with, but gets the job done. The bar is 26 inches.

Here is a bit of Strunk history I found.

The "Strunk" chainsaw is a vintage chainsaw manufactured by Strunk Manufactor of Stroudsborough, Pa. Its carburetor is a bowl-and-float type that sits at a forty-five degree angle; it was manufactured by Tillotson. "Bulldog" is the term given to the pull starter. This is a heavy and unique piece of machinery, with the casing containing beaver decal. The bar, measuring around twenty inches, is also called Strunk and has a half-inch chain.

www.62ford.com/registry