Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #1

SUN #42
Tom R
Aluminum Siding vs Fiberglass

Hi All...as someone who usually "buys up" with options my tnedancy would be to order the fiberglass option on a Sunline if that is the TT we choose.

What are your thoughts...and actual experiences in evaluating the difference between the two sidewalls?...not considering the price difference.

BTW...any of you other than Kitty have an aluminum roof option on your Sunline? How's it working out for you?

Tom R Wanabee in Northern Minnesota

Old 09-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Tom,
Though I've never had a fiberglass sided rig, they sure do look great, BUT, I have SEEN and hear about so dang many delamination problems on trailers, that I chose to pass on that option. I have to admit, I have NEVER seen a Sunline with a delam problem, but I didn't want to take a chance.
As for the aluminum roof, Finally Time in california got one on her 1950. Just think about all the mobile homes around with aluminum roofs, how much maintenance did they require? Check the caulking, and your done. The warranty on rubber/EPDM roofs only cover the membrane, not the wood substrait NOR DAMAGE from a faulty roof. I personally would not want to be told by a manufacturer that "bubbles and or wrinkles" are common, and nothing to worry about. Personally, I think that is just their way to pass off inferior work. My roof is a little over a year old now, and still looks nice, bright & shiny.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #3

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
Tom I have a 2499 Sunline on order, and I chose the fiberglass exterior. Here's my take on it. I previously owned a Class "A" motorhome with a fiberglass exterior and it suffered from light delamination. I also will be the first to admit that for the first couple years of ownership I did NOT caulk the roof seams as your suppose to do at least yearly. Just didn't understand the importance of it frankly. I believe I caused the delam problem as much as anything else did. If I had done proper maintenance it would likely have been ok. Once I started to care for my roof correctly the delam was held in check.
Two things occur to me now as I'm on the verge of a having new camper. One is that I believe Sunline will have maximized the installation of this fiberglass. They are not a company that chases after fads, but instead will observe the trends and study the techniques involved with current construction standards before introducing a new feature into their lineup. Second I am now fully aware of my maintenence responsibilties for the roof and elsewhere. Therefore I do feel the possibility of my new Sunline suffering from delamination is slim to none in my opinion. Could it happen? I'll take my chances with Sunline!
I knew of Kitty's aluminum roof before I ordered. I almost went for it in fact. The cost more than anything is what finally made me stay with the admittedly inferior rubber roof. I can assure you I will have the best maintained rubber roof ever.....

GoodoleBob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #4

SUN #34
Divebmbr
Tom, I am not trying to steal your thread, but what maintanace is required on a rubber roof. besides caulk? Tom, perhaps you know.

I would have pick the glass exerior had it not been for the price.
Reese DC
Divebmbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 AM   #5

SUN #21
donreitz
This question comes up fairly frequently in RV web sites. You might search on it at the travel trailer forum at RV.net. What you'll find there, and it's my observation as well, is that siding is a preference based on aesthetics, cost, and personal experience. Aluminum siding is generally cheaper and lighter, but not as attractive. Fiberglass siding is more attractive. but heavier and costlier. From my own experience, both types of siding will serve you well if maintained properly. I chose fiberglass siding (the SE option) because it's much more attractive, in my opinion, than the standard aluminum siding and the extra weight and cost were not important considerations. Others, like kanyonkitty, think differently. I've owned two fiberglass-sided trailers and have never had a problem with the exterior, and have owned fiberglass boats forever with no hull problems beyond the normal dings and scratches that come with use.

Hope this helps.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #6

SUN #59
VernM
Fiberglass or aluminum?

I've had both. Hail really does a number on aluminum, if you get caught in a storm. Fiberglass shrugs it off. Aluminum also insulates all the radios and TVs you might have on board in a little signal-free zone. If you have a cell, scanner, hand-held FRS or GRS radio, you have to step to the window or outside. With fiberglass sides, you won't. And as to delamination, it will get you if you don't regularly inspect the caulking topside. But that same leak will get inside the aluminum and you won't know it until somthing bad happens there either.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #7

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divebmbr
Tom, I am not trying to steal your thread, but what maintenance is required on a rubber roof. besides caulk? Tom, perhaps you know.
I just did the factory tour last week and asked them about maintenance I need to do on the rubber roof. They told me that I should wash is a couple of time per year with either powered tide or Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. Use a mild bristle brush. Absolutely do not use any protectant products on the roof. Inspect all the seams for hairline cracks and use self leveling caulk to cover up any hairline cracks. For the caulk they suggest that I just put some on my finger and just rub it over the crack filling them in.