Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Aluminum roof.....

Hi and Happy New Year All...
In rehabbing my '86 1661 this Fall,my roof was dented near the front roof vent when nephew didn't feel the need for a board placement while installing my new vents. It is a pretty big area-maybe 2'x2'...the underlying structure had all been replaced and is sound. This model had a curved roof for runoff. I don't like the depression in the roof for obvious reasons(water and snow)--it extends from the vent to pretty much the curbside,not forward, between the new rafters. Any ideas here on maybe pulling the dent out? It is obvious to ME and of course, a worry. Thanks for help!!
__________________

__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Moderator
 
Sunline Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,994
SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Hi and Happy New Year All...
In rehabbing my '86 1661 this Fall,my roof was dented near the front roof vent when nephew didn't feel the need for a board placement while installing my new vents. It is a pretty big area-maybe 2'x2'...the underlying structure had all been replaced and is sound. This model had a curved roof for runoff. I don't like the depression in the roof for obvious reasons(water and snow)--it extends from the vent to pretty much the curbside,not forward, between the new rafters. Any ideas here on maybe pulling the dent out? It is obvious to ME and of course, a worry. Thanks for help!!
Short of taking the whole thing apart again, I'm wondering if this would work. Never tried it, so it's just speculation.

- Screw in a self tapping metal screw into the center of the dent. Put something on the screw like a small chain or rope.
- Place two small pieces of 2x4 on the surrounding rafters, parallel.
- Place a longer 2x4 on top of and between those two smaller pieces, over the dent.
- Use a pry bar or lever to attach to the chain/rope and pry up the roof metal, against the long 2x4. The wood spacers are critical because I think you'll have to pry the roof up beyond flat, so that it settles to flat.
- Remove the wood, screw, and tools.
- Place a small piece of putty tape on the metal screw (no chain), and reinsert the screw into the hole.
- Cover the entire screw and surrounding area (maybe 3-4" circle) with mobile home roof sealant.
- Also coat the seams on either side for a few feet, where the wood pieces were. Just in case the seams were compromised in the stretching either up or down.
__________________

__________________
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9467.8 (as of 5/26/19)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Hi Jon...thanks for that idea! In theory it seems like a good approach..the only "weak" spot I see would be the use of a screw...maybe a butterfly anchor would be best so it didn't rip right out under pressure..Anyway, it's a good idea and I will file this suggestion under "Spring projects" !! Thanks and have a great 2017 !
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 102
SUN #8853
ggrvguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there anything on the interior you could remove to access the dent? I'm thinking if you could take off an interior light or smoke detector that is screwed to the ceiling in the dent area, you could push a broom handle up thru a hole to gently push the dent out. I think if it was mine , I may consider adding a light or smoke detector in that area.
Gary G
__________________
ggrvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrvguy View Post
Is there anything on the interior you could remove to access the dent? I'm thinking if you could take off an interior light or smoke detector that is screwed to the ceiling in the dent area, you could push a broom handle up thru a hole to gently push the dent out. I think if it was mine , I may consider adding a light or smoke detector in that area.
Gary G
Gary...now that sounds like something I could try myself..thanks! As a matter of fact,right in that spot is the cover plate for the access to power for my
"Non-existent" air conditioner! Will tackle it that way this coming Spring. Ty! Janalee
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,274
SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Janalee, I think pushing up from the inside sound simpler. Even if you had to cut new holes and then use cover plates to hide the damage.


I had thought that maybe using the vent opening a roof support of some kind could be added for working support. Maybe better than laying boards that might slip...... Probably not worth it since I ain't getting up there, ever again, I hope.
__________________
Beverly & Jim
Sebring, Florida
1991 T-2363 Solaris
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Janalee, I think pushing up from the inside sound simpler. Even if you had to cut new holes and then use cover plates to hide the damage.


I had thought that maybe using the vent opening a roof support of some kind could be added for working support. Maybe better than laying boards that might slip...... Probably not worth it since I ain't getting up there, ever again, I hope.
Yes Jim...I agree pushing up sounds better..No new holes though-just had the bad ceiling torn out completely,and have new contoured rafters, New insulation,and new ceiling installed. But I do have two ways of entry to use the push up method...C'mon Spring!!
P.S. this hiring work done is new to me lol! I have even lined up a mobile rv repair man for more work this Spring. I am now just the General contractor/supervisor and accounts payable person!!! Janalee
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,985
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Glass suction cup may work the roof is pretty rough it might not stick but they are so thin it won't take much to pull the dent out. There are several in mine (low spots) but there really is no reason for them to leak even if they collect water the edges of the aluminum roof are folded over the wall edge by a good inch so there really is no seam to leak.
__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Glass suction cup may work the roof is pretty rough it might not stick but they are so thin it won't take much to pull the dent out. There are several in mine (low spots) but there really is no reason for them to leak even if they collect water the edges of the aluminum roof are folded over the wall edge by a good inch so there really is no seam to leak.
Mainah...I suppose leaks shouldn't be my main concern-I know it is all sealed tight. Guess it bothers me since I can see it so well from my front window in the house. From the ground you don't know it's there....so go ahead and just tell me to live with it and not look at it! I will wait and address this in April and then other things will probably take precedence...there are yet quite a few! Janalee
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,985
SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem when I put the camper up by the house I look right down on it from the living room I maybe the only person that gets on a ladder and washes the roof! One of the first things I did to it was repair every thing on the roof new vents every thing that came through got resealed. It did have some water damage I had to repair from a leaking stink pipe a former owner thought the roof was leaking so they plastered roof tar all over the edge of the roof. I had to remove all of the roof edge molding in order to get the @#$# tar off. Under the molding is the roof material is folded over the side wall then stapled down with what seems like 10,000 staples it was at that point I decided there was no way the roof could leak there. Long story short the roof was cleaned with harsh chemicals primed and repainted with nice white paint so now I don't even see the dents (there are still there but the roof looks so good I don't see them). The way the roof is made with all most nothing under it, it maybe impossible to get the dents out and have them stay out because of the span between the rafters.
__________________
mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,262
SUN #128
Tweety
My philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time I said to Mr. tweety "No one's going to notice that but you, why don't you just leave it..."
__________________
Pam
Lance 1475 "Snoopy"
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4 D/A
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
My philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time I said to Mr. tweety "No one's going to notice that but you, why don't you just leave it..."
Pam..this is probably the best suggestion yet! Thank you! Happy New Year All!!
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,274
SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Janalee, It is about time you move up to management.


Happy New Year everyone!
__________________
Beverly & Jim
Sebring, Florida
1991 T-2363 Solaris
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Janalee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
SUN #246
Janalee
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Janalee, It is about time you move up to management.


Happy New Year everyone!
Hi Jim-Bev! Was wondering when you would show up--LOL! Now, did you refer to my age, condition, or deteriorating abilities?! Actually, I rather enjoy this new management role--just sit back and write checks! Would rather be visiting you two though..have a great,warm,2017!!
__________________
1981 Sunline1350
'86 & '87 Sunline1661
'85 2100& '87 2262 Sunlines
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,274
SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Hi Jim-Bev! Was wondering when you would show up--LOL! Now, did you refer to my age, condition, or deteriorating abilities?! Actually, I rather enjoy this new management role--just sit back and write checks! Would rather be visiting you two though..have a great,warm,2017!!

Janalee, Please choose the reason that will get me in the least trouble, LOL!

Come on down. The weather is fine. I think we are supposed to get cold, into the 40s. Brrrrrr!

May your 2017 be the greatest yet. Hugs to you and yours.
__________________

__________________
Beverly & Jim
Sebring, Florida
1991 T-2363 Solaris
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum roof - paint with?? Offgrid Repairs and Maintenance 4 10-26-2016 09:14 AM
Does anyone have pictures of a "healthy" aluminum roof? noralee Repairs and Maintenance 2 07-08-2014 12:41 AM
Aluminum Roof Re-Caulk Firecat21 Repairs and Maintenance 0 07-03-2013 08:31 AM
Aluminum roof sealant Ford 4 Life Repairs and Maintenance 1 04-18-2011 07:19 PM
aluminum roof 69z28rsss Sunline Travel Trailers 5 06-14-2008 08:47 PM


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sunline RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.


×