Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
rja

SUN #188
rja
Also looking at T1950 - 2001

We are considering purchasing a 2001 T1950 Sunline. We liked the floor plan, nice options and clean but are concerned with the weight (3700 lbs dry). We (wife and I, no kids) have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma double cab with a 6 cylinder. The tow rating for the vehicle is 5000 lbs. We currently have a pop up and have never towed a vehicle this heavy. We are looking for help in deciding if the camper is too close to the capacity of the vehicle, especially considering our inexperience. Of course, salesman have told us no problem but we would prefer hearing from people who actually do it. What equipment would be recommended? And any comments on asking price of $9800.00. Thank you and nice site.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
Read the 1950-Good Buy thread to get info on towing with your vehicle. Our friends bought the 1950 and tow it with a Toyota 4 Runner. They had never towed before and thought the breaks needed adjusting. My guess is their 4 Runner was just bogged down. As for price you can go to the NADA online guide and get an idea. The previously mentioned friends paid a bit less than that for their 2004 unit that still smelled new, looked new, and had not 1 spot of rust. We were frustratedly looking for the new sticker price on the window when the salesman stopped by and told us it was used.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Don’t forget to also consider if your TV is sufficient to stop the trailer. IMO, can I stop it is more important than can I pull it. Take a look at the weight of you TV, its brakes, etc. and the weight of your TT loaded. With a dry weight of 3700 lbs, your TT loaded weight will be ~4700 lbs. That’s awful close to your TV tow rating. Is the dry weight from a brochure or from the sticker inside the TT? The brochure’s dry-weight doesn’t include the weight of options added to the trailer.

Also remember that the tow rating of your TV doesn’t account for the weight of passengers and cargo in the TV. Therefore, you need to reduce the TV’s tow rating by the weight of passengers and cargo in the TV, which now will probably make your loaded TT heavier than the reduced tow rating of your TV.

Does your TV have the towing package (e.g., transmission cooler, etc.)?

You also need to look at the GVWR of the TV compared with the loaded weight of the TV, including passengers, cargo, and tongue weight of the trailer.

From strictly a numbers analysis, I would guess that the T-1950 may overload you TV.
It may tow it, but you may not be happy campers towing it.

Nothing is worse than buying a trailer and finding out your TV is not a good match for the TT. Been there, done that – it wasn’t a pretty site! Just ask the DW.
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
rja

SUN #188
rja
THANKS for the replies. It was nice to have some of our concerns confirmed by people who know. The weight is from a sticker on the inside of the trailer so I think it is pretty accurate but our Tacoma does not have a transmission cooler. I guess if we had gotten the full tow package Tacomas can tow up to 6500 lbs. We did not want to go that high on our towing. We have not ruled the 1950 out but at least we are better informed. There are other trailers out there. Thanks again.