Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Sunline Club Community Forums > Sunline Community
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
A Tire Question

The tires on our 2363 turned five years old this April; they still appear to be in good condition, steady tire pressure readings, no unusual wear patterns, no bulges. (We check them everytime before we go out.) We want to get new tires this year and, in reading TT tire reviews and forums, have decided on Maxxis 8008 205/75R15 - we'e going from 14" to a 15" tire after last year's axle flip. The problem is that, in checking the manufacturer date before buying, the most recent Maxxis in this size were manufactured in November 2014, therefore, the tires are a year-and-a-half old on purchase. Obviously, at this point, we don't need to purchase the tires right away, so how concerned should we be about the manufacture date when purchasing new tires? All comments/suggestions welcome!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

SUN #5411
happytocamp is an unknown quantity at this point
I purchased the same tire for our 04 2363 a few years ago, after driving myself crazy with research and reviews,decided this was my best choice.I purchased mine through discount tires direct,as they have no stores in my area.Good price and free shipping and no sales tax.I believe mine were about 9 months old when I got them.Their customer service is excellent,perhaps if you gave them a call they could give you some age/date of manufacture info on what they have in stock.

I am very happy with the Maxxis Radials- no problems at all.

Hope this helps! I forget what I paid for them..........
Also,there is a $100 dollar rebate!

205/75-15 Maxxis Tires

2005 GMC Yukon

happytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Matthew and Lisa,

I also put the Maxxis 8008 tires on our current trailer last year. Very happy with them, they're excellent tires.

I also got them from Discount Tire Direct and had a local tire / repair shop mounted & balanced the tires for ~$25/tire.

Discount Tire Direct had the best price. I requested tires with the most recent manufactured date and that all tires have the same date. Discount Tire Direct said their turn over rate is high so all tires have recent date stamps. I got my tires in Sept. 2015 and all 5 tires had a date stamp of 0115, so they were 8 months old. I would have preferred 6 months old or less, but I can live with 8 months.

I would make sure the tires you purchase have a date stamp of 1 year old or less, preferably 6 months old or less.

As far as your current tires, I use the 5 yrs or 20,000 miles guideline as the point to seriously consider replacing tires. Even if they don't show any signs of aging. Look closely at the side walls, particularly near the rim to see if you see any signs of cracking starting.

A blow-out can cause some serious damage to the trailer. I've had 3 blow-outs and fortunately they only caused minor damage to the trailer's underside, no damage to the siding other then black marks. However, I was able to detect the blow-outs immediately and get to the side of the road.

Do you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)? These systems help in early detection of problems with tires or a blow out. On our current trailer, my TPMS alerted me to a problem with the tires (i.e., loss of pressure) that resulted in me seeing early signs of tread separation. I was able to get all the tires replaced before a blow-out occurred.

Hope this helps some.
See you at Buttonwood.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #4

SUN #4050
Lou & Tom,

Thanks for your replies! We checked Discount Tire Direct; the manufacturing date they gave us for a purchase of 5 tires was November 2014 (4714) so it's interesting that you got tires w/ a January 2015 MD. City Limit Tires had the same MD as Discount Tire. Our local tire guy said his supplier couldn't get any w/ MDs earlier than 2014 either. Autoplicity wouldn't check MDs when asked.

Right now the best bet looks like SimpleTire; they have a decent price on Maxxis 8008 and are willing to take requests on the MDs at the time of order. If they can't meet the requested MD they will cancel the order, no charge. We would love to get Maxxis that were less than 6 month old but at this point will settle for less than a year old. Of the tire dealers we've dealt with, beside our local guy, DTD & SimpleTire have had the best customer service; both called back with MDs.

We would also like to get a TPMS so that's another item for our wish list.

We're looking forward to Buttonwood too!

Matthew and Lisa
Old 05-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #5

SUN #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post

We would also like to get a TPMS so that's another item for our wish list.
Good luck with your tire purchase, hope things work out for the best.

Wrt TPMS.
I have a TST TMPS, I really like it.
The owner even has a thread on iRV2 forum

TireMinder is another TPMS that has gotten good reviews, though I have no personal experience or knowledge of this one.

We had a PressurePro TPMS previously - I would recommend staying away from that one. It was very problematic and gave a lot of false warnings.

There's also Bluetooth TPMS out there that will work with a smart phone.
FOBO Tire is one Bluetooth TPMS.

When shopping for a TPMS, I would recommend getting one that displays both tire pressure and temperature.
Another feature that would be nice if it displayed information for all 4 tires on the display. The TST TPMS display I have cycles through displaying info on each tire. It would be nice to get info on all 4 tires at once on a single glance.

Hutch
Old 05-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #6

SUN #4050
Well, we have our Maxxis 8008s and had a GREAT experience with Simple Tire (simpletire.com). In order for them to check the MD, we had to place our order by phone, after which they called us back within a half-hour & were able to ship 5 8008s with the same manufacturing date of October 2015. We ordered yesterday and the Maxxis were delivered to us today! Our local tire guy will be balancing and putting them on before Buttonwood. Hopefully, we will be as happy with them as everyone else is. (For the record, our "old" tires on our 2363 are Maxxis that the PO bought and have gotten us down the road without any problems.)

Tom, Thanks for your info and opinions about TPMS systems, much appreciated. Finances permitting, this will be our next purchase and we leaning toward the TST system.

Matthew and Lisa
Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced my camper tires this year they were 11 years old some small cracks between the groves in the tire I don't think I would worry too much about the age of shelved tires.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think one thing that will extend the life of tires is to use them. I hookup and drive about ten miles at highway speeds once a month. If it helps, then good. If not then it makes me feel better. I believe in the saying of "use it, or loose it". I also keep nitrogen inside tires. Not much expense and I feel the tire pressures stay more constant and I do not have problems of tires leaking down. Other people think nitro is a waste of time. It all makes me feel better.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

SUN #2097
My tires were bias ply tires and were replaced with radial ply If someone told me there was that great a difference on a camper I would not have believed them the difference was dramatic I gained a full gear difference climbing the same hills with my 6 sped! I all ways wondered as to what they do with the air that's in tires when the fill them with nitrogen where does it go? if air contains 78% nitrogen is this an issue? I understand it on race cars and aircraft as nitrogen is inert and does not promote fires but.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

SUN #1830
I would think the oxygen is dispersed back into the atmosphere/air. Maybe my use of nitro in my tires has helped to upset the balance of the H2O we breathe, LOL

My experience with nitro is that the tires are more trouble free for me. I have less trouble keeping proper pressures because the tires do not seem to leak down as "normal" tires have. Since I have no way of measuring I rely on other information but I have read that nitro is larger molecules so escapes less than smaller oxygen molecules so tire pressure does not leak down as fast.

I like running nitro in the TV tires since the operating pressure and the cold pressure are closer to the same so handling is more consistent and I notice that in my heavier Expediton. Tire wear seems to be better since the pressure differential is less.

I had to replace a tire because I ran over a piece of steel with my TV. The new tire changer put oxygen in the tire instead of nitro. Handling went screwey until the dealer replaced the nitro as it should be. To me there are differences in handling, wear and safety.

This all could be in my head but the cost is minimal to make me feel better so I do it. This comparison between oxygen and nitro has been talked about since day one without any real solution so I go on doing what makes me feel better. That is all anyone can do.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

SUN #2097
Well I have new tires on my camper with bolt in tire stems over the winter they lost 0 PSI. I own a compressor (well 3 of them) I don't have a nitro tank so if I have a low tire I don't have to take it any where I can just adjust the pressure. Nitrogen does have benefits but for the average owner it's not enough to make up for the expense there is no getting away from the fact that tires leak maybe nitrogen a little slower it is a more complex molecule and it is dryer than compressed air but again the tires will wear out before moisture has an effect on wheels. Nitrogen by the way is pretty cheap in a large cylinder I used to use it for refrigerant leak testing because it was dry. I charged the systems and used "Mr. Bubbles" in squirt bottle to find leaks. I’m glad it works for you where I live I would have to go about 18 miles to find anyone with nitrogen for tires with the low tire.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #12

SUN #4050
Mainah, If we hadn't just bought Maxxis, we were wondering if there were SOC members who ran their tires past prescribed 5 years. What we were thinking is that, rather than having to settle for "new" tires that were a year-and-a-half old stored in who-knows-what type of conditions, we'd just wait until we could get newer Maxxis later this year or so. The present tires are in decent shape and, like yours, did not lose any pressure over the winter, despite being stored outside.

Jim, Our local RV repair guy told us that the tire reps he's talked with say that it's important to do what you're doing, which is to take the trailer out, weather permitting, in the winter and run it a bit to extend tire life. The reps say that, despite what some people think, letting the tire sit is actually worse for it. With today's prices we're all in favor of anything that extends tire life.

We appreciate the feedback!

Matthew and Lisa
Old 06-01-2016, 04:50 AM   #13

SUN #1830
Mainah, The cost of a good air compressor, or three, will balance out the cost of the nitro. Also the cost of the better valve stems comes into play. I think the cost per tire was only about $10 so no big deal and I can get the topped off less than a mile from home but I never need to do that. Never, if they are installed correctly to begin with. Yes, we all do what makes us comfortable.

Wannabes, I think everything is like that, use it or loose it. I even "play" with the appliances to keep them massaged and ready to go. I would rather find out I have problems while in the driveway instead of on some nice campsite somewhere. I might miss some afternoon television but I'm thinking about pitching them since nothing but garbage on them anyway. But that is another subject.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

SUN #2097
Quote:
The tires on our 2363 turned five years old this April; they still appear to be in good condition, steady tire pressure readings, no unusual wear patterns, no bulges. (We check them everytime before we go out.) We want to get new tires this year and, in reading TT tire reviews and forums, have decided on Maxxis 8008 205/75R15 - we'e going from 14" to a 15" tire after last year's axle flip. The problem is that, in checking the manufacturer date before buying, the most recent Maxxis in this size were manufactured in November 2014, therefore, the tires are a year-and-a-half old on purchase. Obviously, at this point, we don't need to purchase the tires right away, so how concerned should we be about the manufacture date when purchasing new tires? All comments/suggestions welcome!
Latest for the NTSC---http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140721/ISSUE/307219981/nhtsa-nixes-tire-age-safety-rule
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #15

SUN #2097
[QUOTE=Jim-Bev-2363;132448]Mainah, The cost of a good air compressor, or three, will balance out the cost of the nitro. Also the cost of the better valve stems comes into play. I think the cost per tire was only about $10 so no big deal and I can get the topped off less than a mile from home but I never need to do that. Never, if they are installed correctly to begin with. Yes, we all do what makes us comfortable.

Nail gun, wood shop and garage/shop with the benefit of being able to put air in tires! I have two diesel tractors one zero turn mower one diesel Dodge dully a Tacoma, a Scion and three trailers! Metal tire stems at $1.29 added $5.16 to the camper tire swap I put them on all of my road stuff and I would suggest them to any one they are far more rugged and don't leak.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #16

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
... we were wondering if there were SOC members who ran their tires past prescribed 5 years. ...
I changed mine at 8 years but they still looked like new. I only changed them because everyone said don't go beyond 5 years. (Maxis 8008 replaced with Maxis 8008 )

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 AM   #17

SUN #1830
My tires were 6 years old when changed. I replaced because I saw dry rot between the treads, not on side walls. Be sure to check tires all over for cracks.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #18

SUN #98
Quote:
... we were wondering if there were SOC members who ran their tires past prescribed 5 years. ...
There's a lot of variables to getting more then 5 years out of the tire, such as:
> How well they are maintained (e.g., maintaining pressure, covering/protecting from sun, etc.)
> The quality / construction / materials used during manufacturing of the tire.

From our experience, we had 2 blow-outs on a trip (same day). When I check my stats on the tires, they were ~4.5 yrs old within 19,000+ miles on them. Which fell in that 5 yr / 20,000 mile guideline. I ended up replacing all tires.

Then on our new trailer which came with OEM TowMax tires, after ~1.5yr with 5,000+ miles, got tread separation on 2 tires. Poor quality / construction / materials on the tires. Again ended up replacing all tires.

The owner of a local tire shop told me that all tire manufactures only spec the useful life of a tire at 5 years, for all types of tires - P, LT, & ST tires.

Then there's the consideration of what type / how much damage a tire blow-out can cause to the trailer. We've been lucky, we've never experience major damage to out trailers from any blow-out. But I've seen trailers where the siding has been destroyed from a blow-out.

IMO the cost of changing tires every 5 year / 20,000 miles and having a TPMS offset the risk of having major trailer damage and is less costly then having to repair major siding damage.

Can you get more then 5 yrs out of a tire, sure, people have done it as Jim-Bev-2363 & Gene have indicated.

But IMO and from experience, regardless of the age of the tire, you need to be proactive in checking and maintaining the tires.

Just sharing my experience and opinions for what they're worth.